Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Computer Problem

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Started having this issue with my PC recently. It would blue screen and crash, usually while playing games.

Then I would have trouble getting it to boot again. I'd press the power and the power light would come on, the fans would start but the screen would be completely blank. Not even the bios would come on. I'd have to hold the power button and force it off. It would eventually boot properly after doing this a few times.

Then it'd run okay for a bit before the blue screen crash and the whole thing starting over again.

This made me think that it was a graphics card issue since it usually happened during games under high graphics load and that when it wouldn't boot, the BIOS wouldn't even come up. So I took out the graphics card and am running on the onboard graphics on the motherboard. It seems to be okay. No issues booting, but this onboard is not able to play many games so that will be difficult to test.

Are there any kind of diagnostics I can run on the other graphic card, to confirm this is the issue. The graphics card is only a few months old and it's kind of frustrating that it's already failed. Although in the end that is better than the prospect of something more serious in the system.

System Specs:

Lenovo Thinkcentre M92
Intel Core i5 2400 3.1GHz
16GB RAM
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050

Last edited:

Rivem

Almost definitely an issue with the rest of the computer and not the GPU itself. What OS are you running?

Edit: Also, do you know the version you have? There are different form factors that will have different motherboards.

Last edited:

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I am running windows 10. Got the latest drivers from nVidia and it didn't help. PC does seem to be running fine now I am using the onboard graphics.

Last edited:

Rivem

I am running windows 10. Got the latest drivers from nVidia and it didn't help. PC does seem to be running fine now I am using the onboard graphics.

I don't think it's an issue that your computer is faulty. Just that it probably isn't configured correctly to run a card like that.

Definitely check to see what it's specific version is is though. Is it an SFF? Model number would work if you have the sticker.

Last edited:

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Yeah, it's the full tower model. (7052A7U) Weird part was that I have had this card in for a couple months and it was fine until the last week or so.

image.jpg

Rivem

Hmm. I was thinking the PC probably just got an update that caused the GPU to pull a bit more power than the PSU could handle, but the full tower variant should be fine.

Next most likely culprit is some BIOS issue caused by an update on the GPU side. Reading the documentation, the PC should be in UEFI mode, but it might not be if you did an upgrade from Win7. This is very important for stable operation of newer GPUs including GTX 10 series. First, I'd advise going to the lenovo support website and seeing if you need a BIOS update. After you've updated or confirmed you don't need one, go into the BIOS settings and look for a setting talking about "Legacy Boot", "Secure Boot" or something along those lines. Don't change the setting yet though! Just look to see.

Last edited:

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Under the boot mode I have an option for "Legacy", "Auto", and "UEFI". It was at "Auto" by default. If I set it to UEFI then I get an "ERROR CODE 1962 - NO OPERATING SYSTEM FOUND".

Last edited:

Rivem

Under the boot mode I have an option for "Legacy", "Auto", and "UEFI". It was at "Auto" by default. If I set it to UEFI then I get an "ERROR CODE 1962 - NO OPERATING SYSTEM FOUND".

That means Windows 10 is operating in Legacy mode and not optimally configured to run a DX12 card like that. You'll likely get better performance by setting it to UEFI. You'll have to reconfigure this. Read here:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...desktop/boot-to-uefi-mode-or-legacy-bios-mode
Ideally, you'd do a complete reinstall, but this should work in secure boot.

Change this in Windows first. Make sure it boots and runs normally afterwards. Then try to run it forcing UEFI mode through BIOS and leave if functional.

You can retry the card after that.

Up to you since it still isn't definitely causing the problem, and it's a big process.

Last edited:
That means Windows 10 is operating in Legacy mode and not optimally configured to run a DX12 card like that. You'll likely get better performance by setting it to UEFI. You'll have to reconfigure this. Read here:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...desktop/boot-to-uefi-mode-or-legacy-bios-mode
Ideally, you'd do a complete reinstall, but this should work in secure boot.

Change this in Windows first. Make sure it boots and runs normally afterwards. Then try to run it forcing UEFI mode through BIOS and leave if functional.

You can retry the card after that.

Up to you since it still isn't definitely causing the problem, and it's a big process.

Actually, to further what you are explaining... Virtually all DX12 Video cards ONLY support UEFI, nothing else. Especially ones that are pascal architecture.

Also, driver issues related to Pascal cards continue to be ongoing issue in Windows 10. DX12 is very steep API upgrade from DX11, and it changes how the system interfaces with the card. Something to keep in mind.

Last edited:

Rivem

Actually, to further what you are explaining... Virtually all DX12 Video cards ONLY support UEFI, nothing else. Especially ones that are pascal architecture.

Also, driver issues related to Pascal cards are an ongoing issue in Windows 10. Something to keep in mind.

Yep. I don't think there are any commercially available ones that officially support anything else. Kinda weird though since I've seen a few systems running them and only experiencing intermittent or unclear issues.

You're right on the driver issues too. I don't think that's the main issue here since there's boot interference, but it might have exacerbated the issue to the point it's at now.

E&E: Definitely start on the switch to UEFI. It'll improve your performance and security in Win10 even if it isn't the reason for your GPU issues.

Last edited:
Yep. I don't think there are any commercially available ones that officially support anything else. Kinda weird though since I've seen a few systems running them and only experiencing intermittent or unclear issues.

You're right on the driver issues too. I don't think that's the main issue here since there's boot interference, but it might have exacerbated the issue to the point it's at now.

E&E: Definitely start on the switch to UEFI. It'll improve your performance and security in Win10 even if it isn't the reason for your GPU issues.

The boot interference is directly related the motherboards hardware compatibility. No question as you suggest!

@ Ears and Eggs ---> Before the computer "starts up" the ( power on self test /POST) finds all the hardware attached to the system. This is where the problem lies. The computer goes looking for the Graphics card firmware that expects to see a full UEFI "bios" then Houston we got a problem... failure to boot
:beer:

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Let us know how it worked out. :)

Not well lol. I'm typing this on my phone because the computer is completely unusable.

I tried the MBR2GPT tool and it appeared to work, but now the PC will not load the OS at all. If I have it in UEFI mode I still get the no operating system found error. If I have it in auto mode I just get a blank screen with a blinking underscore.

Jhop

What kind of hard drive are you running? If it is SSD there is a chance it could have crapped out on you and wiped itself. If not then maybe check your boot order in the bios menu, if u can get to it, hold whichever F key to boot the bios on power up. The hard drive should be the first n the boot order, but you could set it to CDROM or USB which would prompt you to press a key to boot to OS.

On your OP I immediately thought your vid card was the issue, but I was un aware of the UEFI stuff, as I built a new PC built for pascal, and everything runs fine for me 9 months later. Aside from a hiccup with my MBR-bad config issue I randomly get, but its not consistent so I have been lazy to fix it.

Rivem

Not well lol. I'm typing this on my phone because the computer is completely unusable.

I tried the MBR2GPT tool and it appeared to work, but now the PC will not load the OS at all. If I have it in UEFI mode I still get the no operating system found error. If I have it in auto mode I just get a blank screen with a blinking underscore.

Hmm. Did you follow a complete guide or just use the MBR2GPT tool?

Also, did you create bootable media before you did that?

You might have damaged the bootloader.... Try running a windows 10 USB key upon start up and see if you can fix the bootloader and get it to run.

A few step you should try. See link below.

How to convert MBR to GPT disk on Windows 10, 8 and 7