Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

ColdHeat Solder irons

I got a ColdHeat solder pen for christmas and I am wondering if any one else has one and how they like it over traditional pens of the same kind! It looks really cool but I am wondering how practical they are! any way if any one has one let me know what you thing of it!

From what I can tell it puts a short circuit across the solder to melt it, although the tip isn't hot, I wouldn't call that cold soldering and I have great doubts it would be very good, not something a professional electronics tech would want to deal with.

I had one. It was pretty bad. They're underpowered, not grounded, and tend to die quickly.

They're garbage. Barely better than nothing. I'd much rather use a $2 chinese/ebay soldering iron. All the experts agree.

Last edited:
Hi,
Well so far some negative replies. Do some testing on some 26 or 24 awg wire take some pics and post them. Hey you never know till you put it to the test.

Rich:)

Yeah... I agree with the members.. I got one when
they first came out. The tip shorts out the soldering
area to melt the solder so you have to make electrical
contact for it to work at all.

Didn't trust that it would not damage sensitive electronic
parts so I got rid of it.. Nothing so far beats our Weller
soldering stations.

Jerry

Been using Weller soldering guns and stations for nearly 50 years. There was a time when I thought they were the only name in soldering.

Hi,
I bought a soldering iron thats 70 year old for 2.00 , you heat it up on a propane torch till its white hot. The tip is about 1-1/4 wide by 2 " long on a steel handle with a wood grip. Just kidding Weller all the way.

Razako

Soldering irons are something you really don't want to cheap out on if you're serious about electrical work. Buy something decent like a Weller and it will give you a lifetime of outstanding service.

Bad/cheap soldering irons make everything harder at best, and can destroy sensitive electronics at worst.

diachi

Hi,
Well so far some negative replies. Do some testing on some 26 or 24 awg wire take some pics and post them. Hey you never know till you put it to the test.

Definitely, I'd be interested in seeing the results.

Been using Weller soldering guns and stations for nearly 50 years. There was a time when I thought they were the only name in soldering.

Friend of mine recently picked up a Weller WT series station, real nice little station. That said, I'm quite happy with my Hakko FX-888D which was about 1/5th of the price of the Weller station. My friend just likes to buy the best gear he can, even if he doesn't need anything that good.

Gave him some nice eutectic solder (62% Sn, 36% Pb, 2% Ag) to use with it. Good quality solder is just as important as a good soldering station and well maintained, good quality tips that are a suitable size/shape for the work being done.

I've been using a 15$ 45 Watt Princess Auto soldering iron for years. (Princess Auto is the Canadian Harbor-Freight)

If you want something a little better, Canadian Tire sells some cheaper Weller irons.

Weller Professional Electric Soldering Iron | Canadian Tire

I have one, quite nice for what it is. Heats up quick, performs far better than my cheap 25W Mastercraft iron even though it's only 18W. They're not lying when they say that it provides the same performance as a 60W iron. Really quite impressed with it.

My only problem with it is that Canadian Tire doesn't seem to sell replacement tips, at least not here. Decided I'd just upgrade to a digital temperature controlled station instead of ordering new tips.

Hi,
I bought a soldering iron thats 70 year old for 2.00 , you heat it up on a propane torch till its white hot. The tip is about 1-1/4 wide by 2 " long on a steel handle with a wood grip. Just kidding Weller all the way.

I personally prefer using a rusty old deck nail and a propane blowtorch. When they get too worn out I just walk down the street under cover of dark with a claw hammer and steal fresh nails from people's decks. :crackup:

I've got silver solder too. That and 60/40, tin lead, and solder paste for reflow work. Never can have too many different types of solder as each has it's uses more than any other. Don't have any acid core stuff, but I don't solder pipes.....so

diachi

I've got silver solder too. That and 60/40, tin lead, and solder paste for reflow work. Never can have too many different types of solder as each has it's uses more than any other. Don't have any acid core stuff, but I don't solder pipes.....so

The 2% Ag eutectic solder is my favourite, just fantastic to work with. Well worth the higher price. I've got 0.8mm for everyday/through hole stuff and 0.5mm for SMD.

60/40 is decent too, at least if you get decent quality stuff.

I hear 63Sn/37Pb is nice to work with, it's also eutectic, haven't tried it myself.

Tried lead free solder years ago, absolutely hated it. I hear it's not so bad if you get the right alloy and you know how to work with it.

Definitely, I'd be interested in seeing the results.

Friend of mine recently picked up a Weller WT series station, real nice little station. That said, I'm quite happy with my Hakko FX-888D which was about 1/5th of the price of the Weller station. My friend just likes to buy the best gear he can, even if he doesn't need anything that good.

Gave him some nice eutectic solder (62% Sn, 36% Pb, 2% Ag) to use with it. Good quality solder is just as important as a good soldering station and well maintained, good quality tips that are a suitable size/shape for the work being done.

If you want something a little better, Canadian Tire sells some cheaper Weller irons.

Weller Professional Electric Soldering Iron | Canadian Tire

I have one, quite nice for what it is. Heats up quick, performs far better than my cheap 25W Mastercraft iron even though it's only 18W. They're not lying when they say that it provides the same performance as a 60W iron. Really quite impressed with it.

My only problem with it is that Canadian Tire doesn't seem to sell replacement tips, at least not here. Decided I'd just upgrade to a digital temperature controlled station instead of ordering new tips.

I personally prefer using a rusty old deck nail and a propane blowtorch. When they get too worn out I just walk down the street under cover of dark with a claw hammer and steal fresh nails from people's decks. :crackup:

Hi,
Yea thats what im talking about primitive viking style soldering.The 63/37 is nice i use Kester

Last edited:
Honestly my cheap little Harbor Freight soldering iron is actually pretty decent, at least for my uses. I have 0 desire to buy a more expensive one. I've built many electronics kits with it and they all turned out fine.

63Sn/37Pb Multicore or Kester is all I use
inn the shop with different diameter for
PCB assembly. Also have some acid core
for sheet metal joining and Copper pipes.
For the heavier stuff I use a Weller Gun
that I've has since I was 16 or a propane
torch.

Jerry

Last edited:
15w irons and temp controlled soldering stations are great for small work, but for bigger tasks a 100w soldering gun is the way to go, often with thicker unions you want to get enough heat into the joint fast to make a good bond.

---EDIT---

@ laserbee : Yes I have some of those propane torch solder tip attachments, you can use the exhaust from the little flame holes to activate large heat shrink tubing, but I'm sure everyone knows that as well as the cautions involved when using an open flame.

Last edited: