Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

CNI no longer exporting >5mW?

Thanks for all that info Steve.. last post was March but this thread needs to stay active .

I hope I am not the only one here that fully appreciates you.-- and although I already know (I think) your opinion of the LPF rep point system give you sir--a +6.

Hope this gets read by all.. Len

LSRFAQ

Thanks for all that info Steve.. last post was March but this thread needs to stay active .

I hope I am not the only one here that fully appreciates you.-- and although I already know (I think) your opinion of the LPF rep point system give you sir--a +6.

Hope this gets read by all.. Len

Hak, I just need enough rep that some newbie crew can't slam me off the forum. Other then that I don't care.

This topic is active in some other threads, hence the post.

Moral of the story, if you want 589 nm photons, file a harmless form, then sleep peacefully.

Steve

Last edited:
Hak, I just need enough rep that some newbie crew can't slam me off the forum. Other then that I don't care.

This topic is active in some other threads, hence the post.

Moral of the story, if you want 589 nm photons, file a harmless form, then sleep peacefully.

Steve

This has pretty much been my view on things for a long time. Thanks for sharing Steve...it's very appreciated.

A way we can get by this of course is ask if CNI can ship the laser in forms of components that require some basic assembly.
At least that isn't eaten away by the FDA yet

Pro Tip:

The CDRH sent a representative to China in the past few months to speak to and inspect certain manufacturers. One Chinese company proudly announced their successful inspection, which is how I know of this. Governments send low level representatives all around the world, all the time.

I'm willing to bet a diplomat was sent along to speak to the Chinese government about misuse of pointers. I'm sure its just as much a problem in China as it is in the western world. So connect the dots. I'm sure it is a much easier process to change the export rules in a Authoritarian state then in a Representative Republic.

Sales of Lab and Industrial lasers outweigh the sales of handhelds. Many Chinese laser companies were glad to take your Dollars and start their corporations and build their plants. The Chinese economy is starting to come up to par for their middle class. Domestic sales of pointers will thus be more profitable then international sales as the Renmimbi will be closer to the Dollar in value.

Anyways, now they no longer need the pointer sales. They would rather deal with industrial and domestic customers who will negotiate in person. Those persons will buy bulk.

I'm sure the negotiated tradeoff was simple.

I'm sure they will gladly thank pointer users for the easy, high yield, startup funds.

-------------------------

Pro Tip Two:

Products do get held at the US border. The Bigger the Box, or the more expensive the declaration, the more chance of inspection. While small products might slip through, a large box containing a scientific or industrial laser can easily get held in customs bond. The list of held products eventually gets on line, and most of you would be shocked at the number of expensive lasers that are placed on delivery hold. A corporate customer will not stand to have their product declared as a "Power Supply" or "Light Source". No US Corporation or University is going to allow a shipment to come in without a Harmonized Code Tariff. Corporate officers go to jail, fire staff, or loose their jobs over things like this. Stockholders insisted on compliance audits.

So they file the forms.

Two employers ago, I was the guy who guided purchasing in filling out the import forms.
I know very well what happens when you have six months of funding for students, staff, and professor, and you get the new laser three months late. You won't have time to get phase II of the funding in most cases, simply because the paperwork takes two more months. Again, careers are possibly ruined for not filing the form.

That means the standard for all importers (including hobbyists) becomes filing the form.

Again, that sort of big customer is far more important then the sales of a few handhelds. Which will end the desire to ship "samples" and "gifts". Customs agencies share data on imports/exports at the whim of their political leadership, by treaty. You can't outrun a Bar Code Gun.

-----------------------

Pro Tip Three:

There is import paperwork you can do if you want a device to come in. You get a few different choices, ranging from temporary, destroy when done, or pending certification etc.

If I'm buying a 561 or a 589 or a Pluto, if the unit cost is over a hundred or so Dollars, I'm filing the form. Why risk device loss?

I'm amazed how many people on forums view doing a free form which takes 20 minutes to fill out and email as a violation of their civil rights. In fact, I use the word "Lazy" when describing this situation. Is it not a prime rule of being a good citizen to follow simple rules? Filed forms easily negate the aforementioned "Bar Code Guns".

-----------------------

Pro Tip Four, if it emits coherent light when energized, its probably considered a laser, OEM module or not. Most laser diode manufacturers have a statement on their data sheets acknowledging this. CDRH used to, and still can, require OEM parts to be sold only to OEMs who then have a duty to file reports. I have more then one HENE tube with a OEM use only statement on it. That statement requires that it goes into a certified final product. It was a requirement to track every part in the past, keeping records of OEM shipments for seven years. When diodes bloomed into the huge market they have became, tracking every OEM became overwhelming. Thus the required tracking was waived.

Three employers ago, I had to install a compliance retrofit kit on a OEM Laser or lose it to mandatory recall. So don't tell me ALL OEM is exempt.

Tip four, Part Deux... There are other international rules enforced by the US....

My former employer learned the hard way not to declare unmounted laser rods as mere optics, when importing. Other rules such as the "International Trade In Arms Treaty" (ITAR) apply to optics and lasing devices, not just 21 CFR 1040.

Is a pointer subject to ITAR, probably not, but a Q-Switched labbie might just be.

The Last Boss feared ITAR above all else.

----------------------------------------------

Steve

To date the FDA doesn't regulate the hobby of laser construction.

Gadget

Hey Steve...any way to maybe get a linkylink to the form you mentioned in post #66??

Thanks
G

To date the FDA doesn't regulate the hobby of laser construction.

-- WOW- good to hear--

But this does not explain why the FDA sent agents to the home of a (former) well-known builder here AFTER the FDA sent a letter to 'cease & desist' the making of handhelds over 5mW..

when asked why they (IIRC) told they only needed to know that he was not running a big laser making operation at his home... and SELLING them- so you are right about making your own but wrong about making for others --afaik

h&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
FYI there are two Steves in this thread LSFAQ Steve is the expert- - and the rest of us- NOT SO MUCH--

somebody does not know about triple or quad posting AND may be giving incorrect advice- how would one know for sure that the FDeeA is not reading here at LPF-- ESPECIALLY when we have proof they are(or have been) here and are looking at even small time builder/sellers--

AND the FDeeA is NOT above pretending to be a new (or newish) LPF members looking to buy a 'completed' lasers ( in 3 VMs all from newish members and ALL used the word 'completed'-all coming within the same week) the builder did not reply in ANY way nor build for them and it was just a few months later when the letter (happened )and visit hapened-- he since then has never sold any completed lasers on advice from his lawyer-- we all saw the letter when it was posted- pretty sure who it was from--

& NOW Homeland Security is involved with VERY broad powers and less than zero sense of humor or understanding of why we do what we do with lasers.

hak

Last edited:

LSRFAQ

The import form is FDA 2877. Note it is not a "get out of jail free card", it gives you limited options for import and may bind you to further compliance or inspection. Be careful that you read the rules and the online "Laser Notices"
from FDA/CDRH before ticking boxes.

Remember the box that says up to "three non-compliant items" means you have personally physically traveled abroad to buy them.

Steve R.

Last edited:

ixfd64

The OP in another thread is saying that CNI will still export high-powered lasers to the U.S. as long as they're disassembled. Can anyone confirm this?