Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

CNI no longer exporting >5mW?

This is true. A company called Amee Bay here in the US has a contractor now extremely interested and in the first stages of developing a laser r&d branch. They are a navy contractor that fix ships and subs in our east and west coast ports. Perhaps one day this could lead to a US based compAny functioning in a similar capacity to CNI. Doubt it but ones allowed to dream right?

I'm not sure how I feel about the exporting of lasers being compared to elicit drug exportation.

To Right! CNI will still be making them, if not someone else and if these Exotic wavelengths are still being produced someone will find a way of getting them to us!
Seems strange that here in OZ you cannot buy, import or purchase a handheld laser above 1mW because it could be dangerous.:banned: BUT you are legally allowed to import all the necessary parts to build a laser totalling MEGA WATTS, mount it on your house roof, plug it into a wall socket and go "Star pointing" :wtf:
I would be more than happy if CNI or someplace would just make all their diodes in all wavelengths accessible to us, we could all have what we wanted then, well sort of! $$$

Ya exactly .. and the drug trade and laser hobby/trade is a pretty poor analogy I agree

Edit.. cant deny the similarities though

Last edited:

ixfd64

Has anyone else confirmed that CNI is no longer shipping to the States? I think someone else posted a similar topic a while ago, but it was proven to be false.

They told me they will not sell me >5mW pointers/handhelds. Then, recommended that I buy their modules/labbies instead.

Keep in mind, the term "module" is being used to describe a lab-type unit. Not the 12mm or similar style that we use here. They didn't even give me a price on those.

Wow this sucks I just got into the hobby and I feel it crashing down around me. Though doesnt CNI still offer >5me diodes and modules to us? At least for those of us that can build our own lasers the parts are still available just not prefabricated for you. The days of buying quality built exotic wavelength handheld lasers may be coming to an end but the components to build these lasers are still available. Im sure some of the lpf members here who own lathes and machine shops would be willing to design new hosts etc etc .. the hobby isn't dead but it does seem to slowly becoming more difficult as government's crack down on the existing laws. This new makes me want to drop ten grand right now just to assure I complete the collection I've set as a goal for myself. I just wish I knew more about it and hsd gotten into this years ago. Seems things can only go downhill from here. Im screwed if laserbtb follows suite.. :undecided:

Always best to learn how to build your own. In some ways I'm not all that sad to see the era of pre-built high-powered lasers go. It keeps them out of the hands of idiots who like to light up helicopters and give the hobby a bad name. Having to build your own laser give you a sense of respect for the hobby and the responsibility that goes into creating and using lasers. It does suck, however, that we can't get a hold of certain exotic wavelengths if they're DPSS-based.

Always best to learn how to build your own. In some ways I'm not all that sad to see the era of pre-built high-powered lasers go. It keeps them out of the hands of idiots who like to light up helicopters and give the hobby a bad name. Having to build your own laser give you a sense of respect for the hobby and the responsibility that goes into creating and using lasers. It does suck, however, that we can't get a hold of certain exotic wavelengths if they're DPSS-based.

It does have some pros and cons...this is pretty much my thoughts on the matter. It also will make them harder to fix too I note...When diodes start to go, the yellows and such will have to go to the members with DPSS skills to fix them. Not a walk in the park for sure. And I do still say we could make them, but it'd have to be built custom, likely with the help of members with a lathe to fabricate mounts and such. We could use the existing heads as a basis to make our own. Or order oem modules

Last edited:
THIS IS TERRIBLE NEWS!

I died a little inside :yabbmad:

*Insert curse words here :-@ * so mad!

Last edited:
Its really not that bad tbh it isn't gonna stop us true hobbyists from doin our thing and in that sense alone its analogous to the drug trade as mentioned previously even though I dont condone or like that comparison personally.

Its really not that bad tbh it isn't gonna stop us true hobbyists from doin our thing and in that sense alone its analogous to the drug trade as mentioned previously even though I dont condone or like that comparison personally.

Well, that means we can't get the ever popular 80mW 589 anymore, or the high powered handheld 532's, etc etc

Its a bump n the road .. these things will become available as long as demand continue to exist which goes for any market. Itll just be much more difficultult now and since they'll have to be built domestically prices may increase but who can truly say what they future holds. Have faith in good ole supply and demand.

Im being the optimist here thats alll :yh:

ixfd64

Well, that means we can't get the ever popular 80mW 589 anymore, or the high powered handheld 532's, etc etc

That's not entirely true. You can still have someone who lives outside the U.S. forward them to you.

That's not entirely true. You can still have someone who lives outside the U.S. forward them to you.

I can't understand why some respond with such ease...

It's a ''things to come'' and this is only the beginning.

It will not be so easy anymore....