Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

CNI GB Round 2 FEELER

Depending on what all we can get the 10pc on I'm looking at the 589, 473, and 532 in that order. Just kinda waiting to see how things end up playing out here in a bit.

I really want the 589. @Bloompyle, do you know the mW's? I'd be really interested for the highest power CNI has available. I understand LG sells 50mW's that are over-specced to 120mW.

IsaacT

80mW is highest they have available, will be about $585 with 10 pc discount.

Whew. That's steeep. How sure are we that it would be over-spec? And if it is over-spec, would it be by 5mW or something more significant like 30mW's.

I'm all for a lower power on the 589. I want the wavelength not the power.

I want to have a really nice visible elegant beam. I have troubles seeing my Green 100mW 532nm brightly.

That's what fog is for. 80mW of 589 will be no where near as bright as 100mW of 532 so you would be in the same boat.

I don't own a fog machine, and I am not really prepared to drop 1-200$ on one just to take pictures >_<. I like to appreciate the beam for what it initially is.

A small bottle of glycerin on a hot pan will create fog. 80mW of 589 will be dimmer than your 100mW 532 so you wont really see the beam anyways without fog or smoke.

IsaacT

You should be able to see the beam of a 80mW 589 at night. There will probably be a 589 GLP offered at ~300 dollars at 5mW. The issue is being satisfied. I wasnt with my 594 5mW

I always assumed that 80mw of 589 would have a clearly visible beam at night. And how can you be having trouble see the beam of a 100mw 532nm? Are you talking about at night or day?

IsaacT

Also...with halloween coming up: you can get a fog machine for 20 bucks at wallmart. I have had mine for 3 years and never needed a new bottle of fog fluid.

Very true. Correct me if I'm wrong but 473nm uses an LBO crystal instead of a KTP crystal. And as far as I'm aware yellows can have shelf life problems. It's one of the reasons laserglow doesn't offer the PGL-3-C 589s. The didn't meet the quality and life expectancy limits.

Now that I need to hear.
Mind telling me more about the shelf life problem of 589nm?
THAT will REALLY affect my decision on whether I'll buy a 589nm.
Cheers.
:beer:

Feel the same way at the moment, but it doesn't have to be today or tomorrow, but in 1-2 months time:shhh:

About that 1W 532nm news: if it's going to happen and the output is guaranteed to be at such a level, CNI's marketing attitude is an example other company sellers could be inspired by:). Honestly, there's a good chance enough people/buyers are interested in this potentially groundbreaking GB deal...

Not in a hurry either, I'd even be fine with getting it by x-mas this year :p

OTOH a shelf life problem may make me give up.. more info, please!

Now that I need to hear.
Mind telling me more about the shelf life problem of 589nm?
THAT will REALLY affect my decision on whether I'll buy a 589nm.
Cheers.
:beer:

Well I don't know all the details, but about a year ago LG was developing (might still be) a 589 with a longer run time than 30 seconds. but they were having issues getting them up to their quality control levels. I believe there is a thread on here talking about it in fact. as far as crystal degradation or simply fragility/not meeting MTBF requirements I don't know why they didn't get produced.

589 is not a common wavelength, has little demand, and can only be made on a very fragile and complex system by generating two lasing lines from a vanadate (1319 and 1064), summing them and then doubling the result. they're very hard to make and must maintain a specific temperature (or it wont lase) and are only about 1% efficient compared to a green which is probably closer to about 32%. I'm not saying you shouldn't buy one...but keep in mind that these lasers are very complex and only came around within the last few years. As awesome as they are, take it with a grain of salt and respect that they aren't going to be as reliable or long lasting as a typical more common DPSS system. If you buy one, don't be suprised if strange things happen while you run it....anything as simple as the kind of battery you're using can change how it behaves. Just recently I believe bloom got one and it has a multiline issue (or blessing :na:)

they're quite the picky lil suckers! :D