Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

CLOSED * GB for OEM Laser Systems protective eyewear

Re: GB for OEM Laser Systems protective eyewear

so.... are we going to do this?

Did you guys not see what I said in the other threads? These are TOO good. You will NOT be able to see ANY existence of the laser beam or dot at OD8. It is extreme overkill. I suggest someone actually ACQUIRE these before EVERYONE buys them so we can see if they are actually in the OD8 range or not, because if they are, then they are NO GOOD. Not being able to see the laser can be just as dangerous. Also, it would be a waste of everyone's money.

I've got a set of ARG. I can see the focused point from my 400mA 405nm unless there is direct sunlight on the same spot.

Given that the eyes are more sensitive to 445nm than 405nm, these new diodes should have a very visible point unless they are poorly focused. I've got a 1W on order from WL, I'll post back with results when they ship it.

I would like to get in on this for a pair of KRY - UV, KTP, 190-579nm in either the style 34 or 35.

But I would also like to see how these WL Spyder III Pro Arctics perform. If it turns out it's of poor quality and we end up sending a lot of them back I'd hate to get stuck with a pair of these.

With that said I expect these things to rock so if we have to order the glasses soon and you guys end up needing the extra person to bump you up to the next discount, shoot me a mail. I'm new here so I don't know who usually handles these group buys or who's trustworthy.

It's 445nm, even with 532nm it's easy enough work with safety glasses that block everything because of fluerescence. Yes, you won't see blue, but pretty much like 405nm a lot of things are fluorescent, so you'll still know where the beam is.

CDHDC

I'd be interested in some KRY's. - Corbin

Not to throw a wrench in a GB, but I can sell units from NOIR NoIR LaserShields: Laser safety goggles and laser glasses for all laser applications. Laser safety glasses, eye protection and laser windows from the manufacturer
however, I don't know how much off of list I can go.
Likely about 30%.
I want to check with them, as they have some low cost units that may come in at an excellent price.
Have to wait until next week.
Units there are $60 to about $130 retail.
Will
ebay: LASERS4u
Creative Technology Lasers - Your source for diode lasers and laser modules at green, red and other wavelengths.

LaserShields does have a nice selection.
Didn't look at them for 445nm before. They have some good options with nice high %VLT.
Just looking quick, I like the 73% VLT on the YLW 190-450 OD6+ $130
I'm interested in some nice ones for 980nm too.

I've got a set of ARG. I can see the focused point from my 400mA 405nm unless there is direct sunlight on the same spot.

Given that the eyes are more sensitive to 445nm than 405nm, these new diodes should have a very visible point unless they are poorly focused. I've got a 1W on order from WL, I'll post back with results when they ship it.
Thanks for letting us know! Please do update us when you get your WL Arctic.

I know someone mentioned a material that has no fluorescence @ 405nm. Was a natural material IIRC. Anyone know of it or something else?

Last edited:

I agree with BIONIC-BADGER. My ML-7's are great. No fumbling around changing goggles for different lasers. One set covers them all, & as he said, even IR.

Eh, actually, they're a lot brighter than I mentioned. I just took the front of the laser apart and it looks like there was a little crap on the front of the diode that was blocking part of the light (looks like teflon tape from the lens that is now completely charred).

Through the ARG the beam spot is now clearly visible on matte BLACK, even when diffuse. You cannot see the beam though. I don't have any way to make smoke to see if that makes a difference.

Alright, here you go, these are with my 405nm. Ignore the messy closet, the strange paint in the room (the house came with the room painted this way) and the fact that the glasses don't entirely cover the lens.

I've attached two pics without and two pics with the ARG glasses so you can see what they look like. The first two pics are with the beam focused to a point. The second two are slightly out of focus (as you can tell from the filtered shot). These are slightly color & exposure corrected on my calibrated monitors to be basically identical to what I saw and how bright everything was. If your monitor hasn't been color corrected it's likely they will display as slightly too blue, but they're probably close enough.

Attachments

• IMG_0480.jpg
    IMG_0480.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_0481.jpg
    IMG_0481.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_0482.jpg
    IMG_0482.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0483.jpg
    IMG_0483.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 235

Alright, here you go, these are with my 405nm. Ignore the messy closet, the strange paint in the room (the house came with the room painted this way) and the fact that the glasses don't entirely cover the lens.

LOL, it looks like the carebears were murdered in your room. :crackup:

Anyway, it looks like those do a pretty good job of blocking. I'm guessing that dot is somewhere around 20mw by the looks of it. Have or can you measure it?

Edit: On another note, it doesn't really look like this GB is really coming together, mainly because of the craze over the Arctic III from WL. But I really do think we should come up with 25+ people so we can make sure we are ready to use our 445 builds with real safety.

Last edited:

well im def in, my eyes are way to important to be used carelessly with these monster diodes.

LOL, it looks like the carebears were murdered in your room. :crackup:

The people who lived here before me had their son in this room. He had an iguana or something like that and as such there is a strange border around the middle of the room with lizards, snakes, etc. I've no idea what the point of the splatter is. Anyway, my wife liked it so we kept it around for the office.

Anyway, it looks like those do a pretty good job of blocking. I'm guessing that dot is somewhere around 20mw by the looks of it. Have or can you measure it?

No, I've no way to measure it, nor would I since the time required would likely damage the glasses. At $80/each I'll leave it to someone with more disposable income than I have.

There's no way it's 20mW getting through though. Visible light from a reflection is completely different from a direct hit. As proof, I just tested it out now by shining a slightly diffused beam (similar to the second set of photos) through the glasses and you don't get ANYTHING out the other side. It's completely blocking it. That's exactly what you want when working with lasers of this power.

Edit: On another note, it doesn't really look like this GB is really coming together, mainly because of the craze over the Arctic III from WL. But I really do think we should come up with 25+ people so we can make sure we are ready to use our 445 builds with real safety.

Agreed, I'm already covered so I won't be buying, but the rest of you who are buying the Arctic REALLY need to buy a set of these or something similar.

it doesn't really look like this GB is really coming together, mainly because of the craze over the Arctic III from WL. But I really do think we should come up with 25+ people so we can make sure we are ready to use our 445 builds with real safety.
I don't quite agree there, its been 9 days & I see 6 people who expressed interest in purchasing a pair. IMO thats fairly good when you consider that there isn't even a vet's name on this GB yet. The higher the number gets the more enticing it will be to others who are on the fence.
The 445nm frenzy seems like the perfect time for this since many lurkers have come out, activity is at a high & these 1W 445 babies Require Certified quality goggles.

Who wants to risks their eyes on some chinese glasses (with unknown quality) when these powers will easily blind or scar your eyes for life. A few chinese glasses have tested ok by members but quality just varies too widely with most chinese goods. They carry absolutely no guarantee you will receive anything similar to what another member got. Plus some goggles online claim to have a OD rating (& print it on the lenses) but actually have no certification. Nothing short of real Certified goggles will guarantee protection.

There's no way it's 20mW getting through though. Visible light from a reflection is completely different from a direct hit. As proof, I just tested it out now by shining a slightly diffused beam (similar to the second set of photos) through the glasses and you don't get ANYTHING out the other side. It's completely blocking it. That's exactly what you want when working with lasers of this power.

Thanks again for testing.
With the ARG's OD7+ thats just what one should expect. The dot we see on a surface from 405nm & even 445nm isn't pure 405 or 445 anymore since nearly everything seems to have some visible fluorescence. It is convenient, allowing 100% blocking while still having a visible dot on most surfaces. Its even better if you go looking for fluorescence or phosphorescence. :D

[...] the rest of you who are buying the Arctic REALLY need to buy a set of these or something similar.
Totally agreed (if anyone couldn't tell).

Last edited:

LaserShields does have a nice selection.
Didn't look at them for 445nm before. They have some good options with nice high %VLT.
Just looking quick, I like the 73% VLT on the YLW 190-450 OD6+ $130
I'm interested in some nice ones for 980nm too.

I know someone mentioned a material that has no fluorescence @ 405nm. Was a natural material IIRC. Anyone know of it or something else?

OEM Laser Systems also sales the YLW goggles. They are $98.60 before any discount, if we can pull a GB together they'd be $78.88 (+ whatevere for shipping).

YLW - UV and Near UV Protection YLW - UV and Near UV Protection [NR-YLW-EN207] - $98.60

While the ML-7's are a bit more costly, they cover a broader range of band widths. You won't need any other laser goggles. A BIG THANKS GOES OUT TO KRUTZ !!!! Manuel was the Member that did the research on the ML-7's & told ME about them. I LOVE mine !!!!!!!!!