Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Clicking sound

Ok, so I've recently purchased a very nice 200mw Maglite laser. It works fine, nice focusable laser, etc etc.. However I've recently noticed that every now and then when I turn it on, I hear a little click. The light coming from the laser doesn't change, nothing obvious happens, and this has happened several times without a change in performance. Any ideas as to what is making the sound? It's happened a few times, and I've ensured that no wires are loose, nothing is wobbling around and nothing is rubbing against something else when I turn it on.

where did you buy it? return it now before it burns out - direct driving diodes (maglite lasers) is a big nono

I purchased it from HighTechDealz. Hmm.. But, if it's in an Aixiz module, doesn't it have a driver in there? I could have sworn it did.
Well, to avoid any damage I won't use it. But are you sure there isn't any driver in the Aixiz modules?

Laserman said:
I purchased it from HighTechDealz. Hmm.. But, if it's in an Aixiz module, doesn't it have a driver in there? I could have sworn it did.
Well, to avoid any damage I won't use it. But are you sure there isn't any driver in the Aixiz modules?

There is a driver in the aixiz module, but it is only used with the original laser (5mW). With a higher power diode the driver is removed, and in the case if the maglite, a resistor and capacitor takes its place (I think)

Driving a diode without the driver isn't the best thing to do in the world, but to be honest it will probably be fine for a while. I've known people that have had those types of lasers for years now and they still work. If it does die, you're only out like $17 to buy a new diode and put it in, so it's not a huge loss.

I say just have fun with it.

Oh... and I have no idea what the clicking could be :-?

Ok, thanks. I got really scared for a bit :eek:. But, I figured since it was made by someone on this forum, it had to be good, lol.

rkcstr

I think his items use a driver... ?

How long do you typically have it on for when it makes this noise? It's possibly due to the expansion/contraction of the parts inside from heat/cool cycles.

well unless the maglite is on lithium batteries or has a lavadrive - it doesn't have a proper driver, either way as some have said losing a diode is only a couple bucks

Ok, I'm not worried about replacing a diode. As for the clicking noise, it starts within a few seconds of turning it on.

UPDATE:

Well, that didn't take too long. The diode JUST died. Got damn it..
Well, I don't know if it died, but it smoke came out of the diode and I turned it off. Is it still usable?

Oh, wait, I just discovered the culprit. Two metal leads that connect the laser to the battery touched. Grr.... I can actually see where the wire burned. Should I fix it and try again?
The rubber part that separate the laser housing from the batteries is slightly melted...

Things

You could try remove the short, there is a possibility the diode may still work...

Maybe the clicking could be the switch? :p

yeah I bet the diode is still ok if it just shorted out before the diode

Before I plug the batteries back in, how do I know the Diode has the proper polarity?

Kenom

Not at all. If the diode was on while it shorted you can bet your Ass that it is now dead beyond belief. 99% of the lasers I built initially died in that fashion. pins would touch one another while it was on and instant death. My recommendation to you is put the damn minimag back together as a flashlight. (if you ask I'm sure there are tons of peps here who tried this stupid hack and fried the laser and set it aside so have spare parts) and build yourself one of the many laser flashlight hacks on this forum such as the dorcy jr, mxdl or whatever.

Well, actually, the laser does still work. I was surprised to see it come back on, and have a good amount of burning power still. I'm not sure if it was weakened, but it definitely works. From what I can tell, it still has the same amount of power. I will eventually try the Dorcy hack, but considering I'm 15 and just spent $2k on a new computer, I don't think I have the money. I was luckily able to buy this and safety goggles from Senkat.