Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

cleaning a g-1 lens?

jakeGT

yep, as in my last post I said even jayrob was skeptical about the alcohol... so guess I'll experiment

100% Methanol is the recommended Alcohol used for critical optics in military and scientific instruments.

Any type of alcohol will work 100% is best as even 1% water can leave streaks.
The reason for alcohol is because it removes grease and oil which hold dust and fibers to the lens.
When I was in a navy repair facility we used 100% grain alcohol because it would leave NO streaks.
(and yes they kept it locked up so we wouldn't be putting it in our coffee)

alchol will not bother AR coatings unless they are cheap ones put on badly, an AR coating is nothing more than various types of vaporized metel deposited on the glass in a vacuum. if the operator didn't clean the glass befor the deposition then you can wipe off the metel with just about anything even your finger.

alcohol and acetone will not remove a good AR coating, now a vigirous mechanical rubbing can remove even a good AR coating so be gental when doing this !

I have not used the teflon tape wrapped q-tip but as we all know teflon is softer than metel or glass so that procedure should not bother the AR coating either and anything that removes dust with out harming is ok in my book.