Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

cigars and 405nm...

I am sorry but pics will not be available. Neither of my camers would pic up what was happening... but for the cigar smokers read up...

so i was having a cigar tonite and noticed a cool thing.... take the cigar that is lit and make sure there is no ash on the tip. The tip needs to be hot and smokey... i used my 6x and was shining it through my smoke just playin around. Then i noticed as the beam got like with in a half inch of the hot smokey tip the beam changes colors from violet to a sky blue...

you gotta try it...

michael

Michael ---
I just tried that with my Cgar. I got a sorta blue-green light in the smoke.
There's a lot of "stuff" in smoke and my 12x lights up almost anything!
HMike

yeah actually sky blue is a little inaccurate.. green blue is better.... pretty cool huh?

michael

But the main point of this observation is that it is not just the smoke floresing... it only works if the beam is close to the heat source and the beam is not blocked by ash... but it has to be hot.

michael

Sorry, being a noob here, but I noticed that shinning a high powered red (died in like 2 hours, damn you Kipkay >.<) on charred paper would cause it to ember and such. It was kinda cool, I don't have a blu-ray though, sadly :(

Well I do know that their are thousands of chemical compounds in a burning cigarette. There is a lot of action going on in their when it is being smoked.

I'm not sure about cigars. I would assume there is less in the makeup of the smoke. Since it is a more natural tobacco.
One of the chemicals in cigarette smoke is ammonia? if it's in cigar smoke it could be that?

But the main point of this observation is that it is not just the smoke floresing... it only works if the beam is close to the heat source and the beam is not blocked by ash... but it has to be hot.

michael

That sounds pretty cool actually, I am going to try it out later tonight, I havent had a good stogie since I got sick the other week, this gives me a good excuse:D