Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Christmas FAIL!!!

This morning, i woke up to find an optotronics 130mw laser under the tree. I was thrilled to immediately install batteries and try it out, and it was so cool!
well, after a few minutes of playing with it, lighting a match or two, and just looking at it in awe, I set the thing down to see what else I recieved as a gift from family. after that, i went over to my laser again to show it to my brother. I hit the button, and instead of a condensed dot, i ended up with a large flashlight-like green circle:cryyy:. Any suggestions guys?

NOTE: I stuck to the duty cycle and did not do anything to harm the laser

Send it back to santa... err i ment optotronics.

Sorry but that's what i would do.

ON the smart as part----- give it to you'r brouther, he can inturn sen- it back to said vender (santa) and resive a new 120Mw gift for the new year?

O.K. bad advice---- Hey, does the tooth fairy work weekend's?

:san:

Moptsp

Sounds like a lose or unfocused lens. I had the same problem when I first got my CNI laser. Though yours isn't a CNI, That still sounds like the problem.

I was able to access and focus the lens on mine to fix it. Though I'm not sure about the one you have.

Good luck!
Moptsp

Sounds like a lens broke loose or the laser is mode hopping. The mode hopping could be affected by the batteries or temperature, and a lens breaking loose could be caused from the laser being dropped.

well, it runs on alkaline batteries, which i tried changing when it started to change shapes.
i didn't drop it
I haven't ruined the warranty yet, so maybe i could just get it replaced?

If it's brand-new then don't mess around with it - talk to the sellers: if the beam's significantly wider than you'd expect (spotlight, cone-shaped) then it sounds like the final, focusing lens has slipped.

thanks. I e-mailed the optotronics crew, (or I could go to their company, I'm just too lazy : P) I'll report how their customer service is, and update later.

roosl

Jack (Optotronics) is an awesome guy to deal with. If there is anything he can do for you, he will. Just a note though, he's been very busy, so give him some time to get back to you.

You didn't drop it, but you mentioned that you put it down to check under the tree for more goodies. Are you sure somebody else didn't f**k with it?
:thinking:

3zuli

Try to clean the lens. Yesterday I had my DX50 in my pocket and when I took it out, there was a little dot inside of HUGE circle. So I looked at the lens and there was some wool - crap from pocket

Jack tells me he's had a fairly high return rate on these due to dirt on the collimator. They get stuff on them easy so you should never carry it in a pocket without being in a case OR having a slip cap over the end. The collimator is the final lens beneath the output aperture. I've found even with the dirtiest lenses you will always have a dot in the middle surrounded by speckle. Can you take a pic of the beam striking a wall and post it?

If the collimator came unglued from the focusing element then you would see a very broad beam resembling a spotlight. It's similar to the batman searchlight minus the bat of course!

In any case Jack will take care of this for you.

well, here's a close up of the laser and a pic of me holding it. know what's going on?

Attachments

• tn.jpeg
    tn.jpeg
    1.7 KB · Views: 114
  • tn-1.jpeg
    tn-1.jpeg
    3.6 KB · Views: 128

HIMNL9

Condensation on the front lens ?

Or, the front lens detached from its holder ? ..... Do you hear something rattling inside, or do you see the lens in place, looking inside the laser aperture ? (laser turned off, better without batteries, ofcourse :p)

HIMNL9

Another possibility is that the expander got displaced or detached (anyway, shaking it, if it's detached you must hear it rattling inside)

When you point it to something flat (not reflecting is better), and change the distance, can you see at short distance a point where it burn ? (where it's focused in a burning thin spot, i mean, then the beam diverge again) ..... or the beam just diverge, withuout thin points ? ..... you need to look at it with goggles, otherwise the halo don't let you see the differences.

Anyway, if so, is better to send it back asking for a replacement, cause realign the expander is not a simple operation (and, involving the dismantle operation of the module, for sure void your warranty)

The last thing that come in mind is that the expander was "cooked", and got opacized surfaces, but this is difficult, and usually happens only in low power units, where the builders uses acrylate expanders, instead glass ones (it happened to me one time, and the effect was similar, but it was a cheap 5mW unit ..... a 130mW module must have a good expander, and don't think this is the case ..... i mentioned it just for the possibility)