Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Check Out My 286mW Tiny Titanium Key Chain Red! (Blu-ray Too!)

jayrob

Just wanted to show this little beauty...

My red build uses a 2 Ohm 1 Watt resistor, with a cap and silicon diode to help protect the LD. (details below)

This is just to get a really tiny laser... NO ROOM for a driver. So the idea is to use inexpensive diodes, and just see how long they last using small batteries...

After seeing that some members are getting lasting results running the long closed can diodes direct from 3 X LR44 button cells. Or a single 10180, I decided it was time to test this configuration...

Red kit available!:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-tiny-titanium-key-chain-kit-red-48899.html

I chose this very nice titanium host!

TT%201.jpg

TT%202.jpg

TT%207.jpg

TT%203.jpg

Some details...

* Here is the host:
ThruNite TiKey Titanium LED Flashlight - 3 x LR44 / AG13 batteries

* Diode: LCC red from a GGW 6X sled.

* Battery: 10180 Li-Ion

Current draw:

Without the resistor (direct from battery), the initial current draw from the battery (same for the diode - no driver), was 670mA's! (370mW's! - 650-G-1) So with this kind of current to the diode, I figured it may not last long.

That's why I decided to install a 2 Ohm 1 Watt resistor to limit the current a little...

TT%206.jpg

Update: I added a cap and silicon diode for a little more protection to the LD...

TT%2011.jpg

TT%2012.jpg

So now, using a 2 Ohm 1 Watt resistor with cap and silicon diode... and a fully charged 10180, I get a current draw of 438mA's. Giving 286mW's. With my 650-G-1 glass lens mod... (I liked the 370mW's with a 'direct to battery connection', but I like this little jewel too much to kill the diode so fast)

Hope it lasts a while at this power... :cool:

Note: I did a comparison using 3 X LR44 button cells (without the resistor), and got much less current draw and power output. (170mA's - 90mW's) I'm sure a Sony/Senkat red diode would be better if you were using the 3 X LR44 battery configuration. Because that diode gives more power for a low current comparison...

Lens:

For the lens, I used my 650-G-1 glass lens. It is assembled with an extra spacer because of the extra length of the long closed can diode. The assembly is just as it is shown in this picture:
DX%20red2.jpg

Sure hope it lasts! Because I really like this Tiny Titanium host! :D

TT%204.jpg

TT%208.jpg

Red kit available!:

Blu-ray:

I did some testing with a PHR diode...

Running direct off of the batteries with an AixiZ acrylic lens. (back opened)

* 3 X LR44 button cells did not hardly make it glow.
* A 10180 barely makes it glow.
* 4 X LR44 button cells gives about 60mW's.
* 2 X CR1 lithium batteries gives about 75mW's!
* Here's a perfect size 6 volt alkaline battery that will fit this host with no modifications needed: (10mm X 16mm)
Vinnic 6V Alkaline Battery 11A, GP11A, L1016, A11, MN11, AG11 [A11] - $0.99 : Batteries | Battery Chargers | Batteries Solutions
They work ok... but do not have much capacity. The fit is great, and the power starts out at about 50mW's, but by 5 minutes of constant on, the power was at 21mW's. So that is why I have decided to go with 2 X CR1 lithium batteries...

2 X CR1 batteries just happen to be the same fit (width and length) as 4 X LR44... And they are lithium batteries! (2 X CR1's are about .014 thousandths of an inch shorter than 4 X LR44's)

For the CR1's, the width fits this titanium host. But the length is about 3.3mm longer than a 10180...

There is room in the head. And if needed, there is about 1.5mm of room that can be gained by drilling the inside of the battery compartment.

Blu-ray build detials:

I had enough room inside the head for the extra battery length of the 2 X CR1 lithium batteries! :)

But I did end up damaging one of my titanium coated drill bits. Because I let it get too hot when drilling out the head on my blu-ray build... (it was worth it though) At least my reamer did not get damaged...

Specifics:

There are a couple of things that made this blu-ray mod interesting using the CR1 lithium batteries in this host...

* It needed to be a case positive build.
* I had to find a way to make room inside the head.
* I also had to fabricate a way for the twist switching to work without the stock board. (which had to be removed in order for the batteries to fit)

These pictures show all of the details...

TTblu%202.jpg

TTblu%203.jpg

TTblu%204.jpg

TTblu%205.jpg

TTblu%206.jpg

TTblu%207.jpg

TTblu%201.jpg

* 2 X CR1 lithium batteries.
* PHR diode.
* Direct connect.
* AixiZ acrylic lens. (back opened)
* 75mW's

Very happy with these matching little jewels! :cool:

TTblu%208.jpg

P.S. In case you order one of these hosts, the mini swivel hook lanyards do not come with them...

Red kit available!:

Click here to see my list of projects and tutorials! :)

Last edited:

Re: Check Out My Tiny Titanium Key Chain Red!

Could you bore out one of those hosts for me , just like you did for yours?

i have the batt and diode already :)

Last edited:

jayrob

I don't want to commit to it as of now, but I will give it some thought...

You see, the material is very hard. And the I.D. is very precise after using a reamer. So the fit to the module is very important in this build.

Edit: Red kit here:

Because the module must be isolated from the host. I used a single layer of thin scotch tape wrapped around the module to accomplish this.

Then just a drop or two of JB weld to fit it in place. But the fit was very tight. I probably did not even need the JB weld.

My point is, that the fit to the module is so close, that even differences in modules can matter.

I chose from about 20 AixiZ modules in order to find one that had the right fit...

Last edited:

interesting, why would the module need to be isolated from the host?

the module serves as the neg contact point throughout the body of host. that what i did with my build using the same diode all packaged in an aixiz mmodule as the host.

jayrob

It is because this is a twist on...

No switch... That is why is it so small. The battery contact board has contact points on the outside edge that contact a lip inside the host when you screw the head all the way on.

Since the negative pin on a red diode is the case pin, you must isolate the module from the host, or else it will be always on...

Kenom

Re: Check Out My 370mW Tiny Titanium Key Chain Red!

Not to mention, lr44 batteries are backwards from the way a normal battery is. The POSITIVE is the majority of the battery. The neg, is the little tab. So with my hosts, the positive touches teh battery it's on all the time just like jayrobs.

Add me to the list of wanting one :). I like the look of this one better than another small laser being sold on here. This is more streamlined and metallic in color :).

This build is so TINY! yet looks great!

These LCC's for it came out of which sleds?

I'd suspect that its duty cycle is pretty short due to its mass..

I would be fearfull of having it anywhere except on my keychain for fear of loosing it, damn that is small, good job jayrob! :)

jayrob

:thanks: The LCC comes from the GGW 6X sleds. They were also found in the GBW-H10N 4X sleds...

xStatiCa, I really did not plan on making these as kits for sale...

Because it is a very hard metal to machine. I would imagine that the titanium will take it's toll, and my bits will get trashed pretty quick.

Edit: Red kit here:

I just had to show it because it is so nice. (happy with the way it turned out)

Last edited:

Great build! Now thats what I call tiny!
Sounds like it gave you a bit of a fight but it certainly is a lil beauty.

jayrob

Thanks! :)

Glad you like it...

It's actually an easy build. But the material is really hard. But we'll see how it goes with the red kits... :) (linked above) :rolleyes:

Last edited:

cmak

nice build!

who knows maybe tomorrow we'll see your Class IV 12X in one of these!

haha :beer:

peace & thanks
-cmak

jayrob

Yeah! Maybe 2 X CR1 batteries can fit in this small host!

But seriously, I would not want to chance an expensive diode with a 'direct from battery' build. But I'll try and make a blu-ray one of these with a PHR! (2 X CR1's will only power a PHR at about 75mW's - AixiZ acrylic)

But you've seem my Key Chain 10280 haven't you? It's pretty small for having a FlexDrive in there...
http://laserpointerforums.com/f38/268mw-6x-key-chain-blu-ray-flexdrive-awesome-20124.html

TT 5.jpg

Last edited:

cmak

Yea I have, and it is truly astounding... however I do distinctly recall somebody building a 12X a la 405-G-1/Flex at Class IV in it

A keychain Class IV laser with a flexdrive and a visible wavelength... astounding

peace & thanks
-cmak

Asherz

That's some great work jayrob, the host is so small!