Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Chaos Emerald Keychain

Shotgundrums

Today, I completed a long awaited keychain laser. The host is a cheap LED flashlight which used 4 LR44 button cells. The anodized color and size told me I had to build a tiny laser with it:D. Components are DTR PL520 with Nano buck/boost driver at 275mA, Copper heatsink from LPF’s renowned Lifetime17 :D....and a single tiny 10220 LIion.
Not sure how long the battery will last yet but this little booger sure is cool. It was a tremendous PIA to assemble as tiny builds usually are. But, it’s done.
The driver is shrink wrapped, leads protruding just enough. I used heatsinking RTV between the module and wrapped driver... Makes for great stability and ridgidity.
Enjoy the pics
SGD:beer:

Attachments

Alaskan

Nice tiny laser, went together well, thank you for sharing :)

RA_pierce

Nice. I like how you sandwiched the driver in there. I’ve been thinking about doing something similar. Is it pretty sturdy with the adhesive you’re using?

Shotgundrums

Nice tiny laser, went together well, thank you for sharing :)
Thanks, Alaskan!!

Nice. I like how you sandwiched the driver in there. I’ve been thinking about doing something similar. Is it pretty sturdy with the adhesive you’re using?
It is stable. The driver had to be isolated because of the “sammiching.” The RTV makes a nice rigid pedestal for the module and protects the leads. Then, the module and heatsink are individually set screwed:)
Thanks for tookin!!
SGD

LewDude

LPF Site Supporter
I like it a lot! That 10220 is super cute. Overall, a neat build! :gj:

paul1598419

That is a very tiny build. With a green diode set at 275 mA, that little battery will run low very fast, I'll bet. Can't wait to see what you do with that 507nm module. It really looks good with the 520nm AR coated 2 element lens. Thanks for sharing it here.

Lifetime17

LPF Site Supporter
Hi SGD,
Wow nice EDC in green to match the WL, I'll bet it was a pain with all those small parts and to fit it . Well looks like you have a great little build there keep the good work job well done.

Rich:)

Shotgundrums

That is a very tiny build. With a green diode set at 275 mA, that little battery will run low very fast, I'll bet. Can't wait to see what you do with that 507nm module. It really looks good with the 520nm AR coated 2 element lens. Thanks for sharing it here.
Paul,
Yeah the batter will last probably half that of a 10440 as it’s half the size. I charge them with a tiny Adafruit micro usb charger. Can’t wait to start the 507:D

Hi SGD,
Wow nice EDC in green to match the WL, I'll bet it was a pain with all those small parts and to fit it . Well looks like you have a great little build there keep the good work job well done.

Rich:)
Thx, Rich! That was the remaining heat sink you turned for me months ago. It was a challenge to build. I even had to ever so slightly round the corners of the driver.

Thx, fellas!!

paul1598419

It might be a bit brighter than this one. I thought it came out looking very nice, with a very visible beam. :D

Last edited:

jnrpop

LPF Site Supporter
Everytime i walk past those 2‎€ led flashlights in the shop, i think yer why not, that could be a laser :crackup:, and you've done it :D. Great little build, matching colors and a great diode, the PL520.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
What a cute little keychain build, SGD, nicely done! :beer:
Now all you have to do is add it to your sig. :yh:
:gj: +rep!

Last edited:

lasersbee

Today, I completed a long awaited keychain laser. The host is a cheap LED flashlight which used 4 LR44 button cells. The anodized color and size told me I had to build a tiny laser with it:D. Components are DTR PL520 with Nano buck/boost driver at 275mA, Copper heatsink from LPF’s renowned Lifetime17 :D....and a single tiny 10220 LIion.
Not sure how long the battery will last yet but this little booger sure is cool. It was a tremendous PIA to assemble as tiny builds usually are. But, it’s done.
The driver is shrink wrapped, leads protruding just enough. I used heatsinking RTV between the module and wrapped driver... Makes for great stability and ridgidity.
Enjoy the pics
:gj: on your small build...
Now all you have to do is measure
the output power...

Jerry

Last edited:

Richie89

thats so cool SGD! i cant tell by the pics, is the neg soldered to the outside of the battery board?