Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Case neutral host?

rhd

I must be going batty here, because I could swear I posted about this yesterday, but I may have forgotten to hit submit.

I'm looking for a case neutral host (IE, a host that doesn't use the case to return a feed from the battery). Does anyone have something that fits that bill?

If push comes to shove, I can DIY something from an aluminum box, but I was hoping for something elegant.

If all else fails, you could just use a battery holder (like this), cover the bottom contact, and run a wire from said bottom contact to the the pill. May mean using different batteries though.

Last edited:
I'm looking for a case neutral host (IE, a host that doesn't use the case to return a feed from the battery). Does anyone have something that fits that bill?

The common C6 fits that bill as long as you don't buy one of those polished un anodized ones people have sold here from time to time, just buy the one from Survival Laser and you are safe, this does not apply to the Survival Laser stainless steel host, there is continuity from the tailcap threads to the module with the stainless steel host but not with the C6 because it's anodized. I would however caution against using one of their 2 extended heat sinks because these are just long enough to make contact with the pill, plus it leaves you without enough room for your wires anyway, also don't buy the regular pill, get the drilled pill, this gives you room for a full module, otherwise you use a 16.8mm round driver. With a C6 you can also add a battery extension tube if you need two 18650. I have one with their standard copper heat sink and the module is isolated from the host. If you have never worked with a C6 you should get a look at the insides and parts first because they are very small. If you've never had a C6 then look at my build thread here just for the photos:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/assembled-m140-c6-pic-heavy-83543.html
Notice I didn't use the drilled pill and there was just enough room for my wires, had they been any longer I couldn't have screwed it together. You can see the stainless steel host here, they have interchangeable parts, in that one I used the drilled pill but used the extended heat sink and the battery extension tube:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/assembled-445nm-9mm-stainless-steel-host-pic-heavy-85997.html
If you scroll down the page far enough there are again photos for scale of size. The Survival Laser S4 host should also work for you but I don't have one here to test so I can't be sure.

Alan

Last edited:
3D printing a host comes to mind, case neutral and can be made elegant with good finishing techniques.

rhd

I've had C6 hosts in the past. Wouldn't be large enough. Also, are you sure the case is neutral? I thought the host body was still used for tailcap feed.

I've had C6 hosts in the past. Wouldn't be large enough. Also, are you sure the case is neutral? I thought the host body was still used for tailcap feed.

Yes I am certain beyond any doubt, the heat sink and module will always be isolated from the host as long as you don't use one of the 2 extended heat sinks, if you wanted to be extra careful you can also use one of their anodized heat sinks, they don't conduct electricity. Many hosts that are anodized will fit your needs but it depends on how the parts fit together.

Alan

I've used a few of survival lasers C6 hosts and the case does carry current to the pill, but the heatsink and diode is electrically isolated from the case by the host's coating. I've asked Garoq about this before for an IR build and he did suggest using an anodized aluminum sink if I wanted to be extra safe but the build went fine with copper.

Last edited:

rhd

Oh I see what you're saying. I don't want to go the route of counting on anodizing to insulate. I can always isolate intentionally if I want. I don't want to go that route. I want case neutral by physical design.

We are currently working on a custom side-switch host which uses a 4x18650 battery holder and I believe because the way the battery holder is, it ended up case neutral. I'm not 100% sure on this, but some of the flashlights that have the nice battery holders and use side switches may also be case neutral since the battery holders typically have both contacts on one side which push up against a contact board.

Last edited: