Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Career Suggestions

Really? Well that's pretty much the opposite of what they tell you in school.

That's because they want your money. ;) They're still selling philosophy and history degrees, even though they are virtually worthless in today's world. They don't tell you that though before you start committing all your time to it.

Seriously though, I've done the labor thing, I've been a Marine and been shot at by Somalians, I've got a business degree, and run a couple of businesses... I'm very entrepreneurial. I'm crappy at math (even though I've done lots of it), but love the sciences. I'd love to play the guitar, or look at the stars for a living...

So yeah, I'm still looking for the "perfect career". i really envy people who can find a job that they truly love. Good luck, man.

Last edited:

Like some of the others, I'm in my late 40's and still don't know what I want to be "when I grow up."
I empathize with you about being in a school that doesn't have what you need. You are on the same path as a great many others have been and will be.
I have tried to define how I like to work when trying to determine a career. Unfortunately I require a certain unbalanced dichotomy of opposites to keep me interested and motivated. I like to spend some of my time at a desk and organizing the duties of others BUT I also need to get out there and sweat it out with the lowest level guys to keep my perspective. I like some challenging mental work sometimes but really need those times where mindless repetition can get it done. It makes it incredibly hard to settle into any single position.
I would suggest that you take a look at what you like to do for fun or a hobby. The sort of things that you truly enjoy when alone, or the kind of things that you get involved with and find that time has passed by completely unknown.(Not videogames - that happens to everybody.)
These things will have in them some of the concepts that are what you really like to do. See if any of them apply to some career choices and then look into planning out how to get into that career.
You will need to make both short term and long term plans. I would suggest that the first thing be something fairly simple and short to confirm that you are starting off right AND to bolster your confidence that you can do it.
Include certain milestones and points for celebration(s) and you will be on your way.

If you end up in a high paying powerful position in 10 years remember how you started and help out a few others in return. (I accept donations too.)

So good luck to you and take a few moments every now and then to look around and enjoy the journey.
:wave:

See, I am majoring in physics because I don't really care about the money, but I know I love thinking, mathematics, and abstract concepts. So I can imagine myself sitting around, thinking for days at a time.

You have to find that thing that you can imagine yourself doing in twenty years and still be happy waking up in the morning.

Hey guys, I know it's been a really long time. I just wanted to let you guys know that I ended up picking Civil Engineering and that I received my degree earlier this year. It actually took longer than I had hoped (6 years instead of 4 as the classes I needed were always full), but I made it. Looking through the replies, it looks like almost none of the members who replied are active anymore, but I still wanted to post this. Thank you guys for the advice and suggestions.

I will be taking the FE Exam on November 6. Wish me luck.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
That’s excellent. Good job Invader Zim!
I might not have been around when you first posted but thanks for coming back just to give the forum an update. I find it fascinating that you came onto a forum and asked what you should do and 7 years later here you are with a degree in engineering based on suggestions. Hope you’re enjoying your career choice.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
That's great news, Invader Zim!
Glad to see that you've received your degree, good luck on your upcoming exam! (y)

Gadget

Hey guys, I'm currently a senior in high school and college applications are due sometime in November. Anyways I have no idea what career I would like to pursue. I thought I would ask here for some suggestions. Lots of people are telling me to be some sort of engineer because I'm okay at math.

What is it that you like to do, right now? What brings you the most joy into your life? Just because you're good at math doesn't mean you would like a career in that field. You've got to pick something that you really, really love doing. Because you're going to be working for a long time.
Yeah, this is exactly what the school counselor has told me, but that's just it, I don't have an idea of what I want to be. I'm good at math and writing and all that academic stuff but I don't like that stuff too much. Also I'm not too concerned with pay, I would like to enjoy my career.

You're on the right track then. What do you really, really like to do...right now? What brings you the most joy into your life? You got to pick something that you really love doing, because you're going to be working for a long time. I see people every day that hate getting up and going to work. And, trust me, you don't want to be that guy. And you're young, don't be afraid to take bold steps. Even monumental leaps of faith. Nothing good ever came to any man by waiting for it.

And never forget, the only real constant in all of creation is change.

Good luck with your choice, young man!
-G

Gadget - Invader Zim's post updated this thread from 2011 :) He's gone through University now /w a degree in Civil Eng.

A 7 year necro is usually pretty crappy but in this case I'm pretty sure nobody's complaining

Thanks guys. It's good to know the people on this forum are just as kind as they were back then. I haven't actually started working since I've been studying for that exam, but I think I'll enjoy it.

I had completely forgotten I made this thread. Yesterday I found a super old rckstr driver lying around and that made feel like checking the forum. I looked through my old posts and found this one. I still like lasers and I have four that still work. I've actually gotten a LOT better at soldering (I love modding old game consoles like the Super Nintendo) so I might get back into lasers when I have money. I see that DTR is still selling diodes and stuff.

Gadget

Gadget - Invader Zim's post updated this thread from 2011 :) He's gone through University now /w a degree in Civil Eng.

A 7 year necro is usually pretty crappy but in this case I'm pretty sure nobody's complaining

Wow...hehehHAHHA. I didn't even read past the first post before I replied. I just saw I just saw it in the new post section and replied. At least I didn't resurrect it!

Congratulations on getting your CE degree. It took me six years to get my EE degree, but that was in the 1970s. I hated my civil engineering courses as back then it was full of middle eastern guys. If you walked into the bathroom several of them would be washing their feet in a sink. It was awful. Good luck on your exam. You'll be building bridges in no time.

Congratulations on getting your CE degree. It took me six years to get my EE degree, but that was in the 1970s. I hated my civil engineering courses as back then it was full of middle eastern guys. If you walked into the bathroom several of them would be washing their feet in a sink. It was awful. Good luck on your exam. You'll be building bridges in no time.
Thanks, I actually thought about switching to EE many times. I love taking apart electronics and fiddling with them. I only know a handful of people that managed to finish in 4 years.

Hmm, the Middle Eastern thing is interesting as the classes are still full of Middle Eastern guys. Unfortunately, the Middle Easterners had the terrible reputation of being cheaters at my school. I actually did encounter Middle Easterners cheating quite a few times, so it wasn't just something people made up based on nothing. Many of them were very smart and friendly, though, so it sucks that they had that reputation.

Well, then in 1979 the Iranians took over our embassy in Iran and took everyone inside hostage for over 400 days. They waited until Reagan was president before releasing them, trying to make sure that Carter wouldn't have another term as president. I'm not surprised you have caught some cheating. Back when I was in school, their English was so bad it was very difficult to understand them. I had a TA teach a Statics course back when I was a sophomore and his English was so bad I couldn't understand anything he said. I had to drop the course and retake it the following semester.

Don't worry, I'm 37 and I still have no idea what I want to be when I grow up. :D
OH YEAH-- I will be 72 next july 3rd and I STILL DO NOT KNOW WHAT I WANT TO BE (when I grow up)

do you like lasers?? know how impotant they are in our lives.how many new applications are happening?

If your career involves lasers in any way.. how awesome!!! getting PAID ....and still being very able to enjoy lasers other than what you work with!!
I would contact and myb visit as many companies as you can.. IF you plan to relocate I can help if you want to stay in Ca. I can help..
Photonic Spectra sends me a yearly comprehensive directory of Companies,, by location
(I can send you the info for companies within 50 --100 miles of you -- or near where you hope to some day be living .. they are also listed by what the make/sell.
It is phone book size.. best suggestion to ALL w/ above is to subscribe to the best and oldest (laser) Trade Mag.. (27 years!) is free too!!!

last word!!
you lucky SOB!

too late for me--but perfect timing for you..best wishes in any choice you make-- PM if you want any leads..
peace out--hak

Do physics and electronics and work with lasers.

Lase

That's what I wanted... then spent 30 years fixing copiers and printers. Honestly a fun career. Information tech will be around for as long as there are humans. and you get a company car, meet new people constantly, and the day goes fast because you only actually work a third of it.. the rest is driving and talking to people.