Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can't decide which laser

USAbro

Hey guys. I am in the process of choosing a laser. My last one was $85.99 1.6w engraved on the heat sink. But I had problems.

So I need to buy a new laser, and have that much money to spend.

I'd like it to be really powerful and nice, or be like okay power and be bright green. I want the blue more though.

Any thoughts. Sci-Fi lasers is $85.99 but it's only 1 watt. Can the diode be made to output more since the diode can go to 2.4 watt?

Jet lasers is too expensive.

Laserbtb is too expensive, because you only get like 500mw for $114.99

Any thoughts?

Thanks

-USAbro

If you want blue and something powerful and good quality your not quite going to get it at that price. I suggest saving a little more or even twice as much if possible. I have built 3 different blue lasers for myself and I am pleased with all of them. The first one cost $152.39 for the parts, 1.5W M140, the second one cost me $277.60 for the parts, and it is a death Ray that can burn the ass hairs off a cat at 10 feet :crackup: it's a 9mm 445nm so powerful I can't meter it because it smokes the sensor on my LPM, the third one is a 450nm that is also very powerful at 1913mw and cost $150. All these would have cost more to have someone build them. I suggest saving up at least $150 and you can get what you want and won't be disappointed.

Alan

USAbro

But the eBay one did what I wanted and it was $85.99 There aren't any you guys know of that cost less? And what about Sci-Fi Lasers. Can the driver be adjusted for more output?

ARG

But the eBay one did what I wanted and it was $85.99 There aren't any you guys know of that cost less? And what about Sci-Fi Lasers. Can the driver be adjusted for more output?

The driver is probably at a fixed current. The diode may also be an old and cheaper A140/A130 which can't go up to 2.4W like you proposed in your first post.

$86 is dirt cheap for a 445nm laser. Unless you want to build your own.

Why do u want so much power, for burning 1,6w or even 1w is not enough? i dont get it u dont need tons of watts to be able enjoy lasers. And i can agree that jetlasers seems expensive but they are best if u ask many here and laserbtb i dont call them expensive for what u get, to me spending money i rather pay 20-30$ more and buy a laser that will last for years its well worth it if u ask me, no need rush if u feel u want good stuff.

Last edited:
I just checked and that one has a 1.25A driver, I can guess what driver that is. ARG is right that's dirt cheap, I say buy that one if you can't afford more.

You say the EBay one did what you want, but then you had problems and now you need a new laser. That's why I suggest spending more, however you can count on quality from Sci-Fi, that one won't break on you unless you're careless with it.

Alan

Pman

I 100% agree with Mortuss as far as fun goes. 18 class 4 lasers and I don't "play" with them. I play with my $4-5 way over-spec ebay pens.
Real question is when you say the 1.6W did what you wanted what exactly was that? No judgement at all, it's important to actually answer your question. Sounds to me as if you really want burning capabilities but it also has to be bright. Have to go with 455/450 then.. My guess is that you need a serious run time though and this is where you can easily run into issues with a cheap laser.
Why not wait for something to come up in the B/S/T as that's the most likely place to get the best deal on a better built unit.
No matter which angle you look at, it's easy to get what you want if you have the $. Not so easy when you have such a hard restriction. Unfortunately can't even imagine how many times I've heard this same request.
Question is how many times are you willing to keep spending hoping the next time you will hit the jackpot. Why not end the madness.
I'm honestly not trying to cause you grief. Totally get that you are really into this and it's driving you nuts that your laser broke. I started a new thread today in the hosts section and while going through my units I found one that I really liked that wouldn't come on only to find that the battery had corroded into a mess ruining the whole thing. Luckily it was a regular alkaline that did this but I spent 3 hours trying to recover the unit to no avail. I've got a stupid # of units but it still totally mattered to me.
Hang in there and breathe. Make yourself remember that lasers are NOT needs, they are wants. I really like this stuff but they are all meaningless compared to what's actually important;)

-Pete

Last edited:

Teej

The above is 100% true BTW.

:D

For me, I use them for work, not play (Officially), so, sure, I play too....but, I got them on my expense account because I use them for work in real life.

As for burning, I like my 3 watt 445 in a sinner MS Envy host and solder filled heat sinking, etc.

I LOVE the way the blue dowel of light really makes what I point out obvious in broad daylight over long distances. Its able to light cigarettes at 10' or so, etc, which can be useful if you have friends that smoke...not so useful if you need to point out a feature at SHORT distances, as its TOO powerful for that.

Green is a lot more visible per watt...but you can get more watts in the 445's.

There's no completely right or wrong answer, as its more about what you prefer.

Hey USABro! Did you ever LPM you 1.6W chinese laser? that laser itself may have only been a touch over 1W for all we know, remember we could buy a 1W 445nm and engrave 1.6W on the side if we wanted,
Regarding Sci-Fi 445nm lasers, the 1W version is a M140 build with 3 element lens, the 1.3-1.8W is probably the exact same build and same driver current but with a G2 or similar lens, BUT the 2-2.4W is the bigger 9mm diode with a G2 lens not the M140 diode pushed hard! You could touch base with eitan to confirm but that is basically what i read on his website,
If you have a spare Single element G2, G1, S2 lens around you could buy the 1W version from Sci-Fi then install your own lens to get possibly 1.3-1.8W
Anyways.... Happy Trails...

USAbro

I never LPM'd it but it just had a "9/23/14 1.6w" stamped (engraved into the metal) in the side of it. So maybe is wasn't. I saw a review here on LPF saying that it was 1.34watts, the guys LPM'd it.

You really don't need more than the 1W beam. You probably won't even be able to see the differences. The 1W+ lasers are like "wow, look at that beam... holy shit this is dangerous, time to put it away."

I dont use my 1w either much these days its sitting and collecting dust more or less, it was fun at first and dangerous at the same time but that kind of power is only needed for burning and showing off, dont see the fun in having a laser that u are required to wear goggles most of the time and that takes away the fun in not seeing the beam etc but ofc u do that when burning since protecting your eyes is top priority when dealing with powers enough to kill superman!

Last edited:

USAbro

I dont use my 1w either much these days its sitting and collecting dust more or less, it was fun at first and dangerous at the same time but that kind of power is only needed for burning and showing off, dont see the fun in having a laser that u are required to wear goggles most of the time and that takes away the fun in not seeing the beam etc but ofc u do that when burning since protecting your eyes is top priority when dealing with powers enough to kill superman!

Not sure about that, because I consider burning fun.

USAbro

Oh guys I'm having such as hard time deciding, I mean so hard.

I have $85 dollars to spend. If there was a good deal, I could add a few bucks, (like up to $10) and there are now several lasers I have on my mind.

I can't even decide which color. I want the laser I'll like the best.

I need help. Red is out of the question. I already have one.

This is what I'm struggling with. :)

Should I go for power, and get Sci-Fi lasers 1 watt 445? Or should I wait until next summer for a high power laser (I mow lawns) like his 2.4 watt?
Should I get green? Like this one? Or go a bit over my price range and get this one?
I definitely don't want there pen. I want it to have some wait and be the thick kind, not a pointer.
Or I could come here and get there 750mw 445nm, because it's cool that it has all the safety features.
Or I could go to that same page, and get the 100mw 405nm.

This is what I'm leaning towards, but I need your opinion.
I'm leaning towards getting the 532nm 100mw from Laserbtb, and waiting until next summer to get an Arcane or 502b.

Tell me your opinion, por favor. :)

Also, how much is shipping to the states from Laserbtb?

Last edited:
Now I'm hearing laserbtb is not good.

laserbtb is pretty good, quality and price wise, you can't go wrong with them! Plus most of their lasers are over-spec.

I would like to add a minor flaw I found when purchasing one of their laserbtb pens, was the fact that there wasn't a way to cancel my order(even after emailiing them) so make sure you know what you want before clicking that "Checkout" button :D

-Alex