Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Canada to U.S

Hey so I live in Canada and I want to sell a green 200mW laser on ebay, but I'm not sure if I should allow shipping to the U.S. What is the worst that can happen if caught while sent to the U.S? Do you think I should let there be shipping to the U.S? It's just that I don't want to get into legal trouble. What would you do if you lived in Canada?

udanis

Hey so I live in Canada and I want to sell a green 200mW laser on ebay, but I'm not sure if I should allow shipping to the U.S. What is the worst that can happen if caught while sent to the U.S? Do you think I should let there be shipping to the U.S? It's just that I don't want to get into legal trouble. What would you do if you lived in Canada?

Well we need more details.
Does the laser have the FDA 5 point safety and a valid FDA accession number?
If it doesn't you can not import it into the us. Sure people do but some times they do get caught by customs and confiscated.

Well we need more details.
Does the laser have the FDA 5 point safety and a valid FDA accession number?
If it doesn't you can not import it into the us. Sure people do but some times they do get caught by customs and confiscated.

Yep I think it is proper FDA laws with a key lock. Wait a FDA number??? No. I don't think so.

udanis

Yep I think it is proper FDA laws with a key lock. Wait a FDA number??? No. I don't think so.

You need key, interlock, shutter, 2 second delay, and power indicator light.

Accession numbers are unique identifiers for reports in our database, and are provided in the CDRH acknowledgement letters. An accession number facilitates communication about specific reports because all parties can use the accession number to identify the document being discussed. Additionally, FDA imports personnel use accession numbers to confirm that a manufacturer has, at a minimum, complied with the reporting requirements for the product being imported.
- Getting a Radiation Emitting Product to Market

As a retailer, I can tell you there is no legal trouble for you to ship lasers to USA, for we have send many lasers to USA

your not allowed to import them according to US law. However, your not in the USA and your a canadian, so these laws don't apply to you. I'm not familiar with canadian law so there may be something that says you have to observe the importation laws of other countries......i've no idea.

worst case scenario: US customs finds the laser and destroys it.
then you have to decide who is responsible. Most of the time the seller is responsible until the product arrives to the customer in the condition it was purchased.

this case is different since goods are being illegally imported.....
I would just make sure the customer knows exactly how your products are packaged and labeled, and make sure they understand the risk of spending all that money, and the risk of it being taken away....

your not allowed to import them according to US law. However, your not in the USA and your a canadian, so these laws don't apply to you. I'm not familiar with canadian law so there may be something that says you have to observe the importation laws of other countries......i've no idea.

worst case scenario: US customs finds the laser and destroys it.
then you have to decide who is responsible. Most of the time the seller is responsible until the product arrives to the customer in the condition it was purchased.

this case is different since goods are being illegally imported.....
I would just make sure the customer knows exactly how your products are packaged and labeled, and make sure they understand the risk of spending all that money, and the risk of it being taken away....

Ok so I understand... Its my responsibility until the item reaches the buyer? Also, now theres a guy bidding from France. Are there any French laws about lasers? I can't find any for some reason...

LSRFAQ

Ok so I understand... Its my responsibility until the item reaches the buyer? Also, now theres a guy bidding from France. Are there any French laws about lasers? I can't find any for some reason...

Yes, they just banned the import of handhelds. You have to speak fluent French to find it. Its not a law, its a ministerial directive. The rule is in the French Senate as we type to become law.
They have also banned indoor laser shows under most circumstances.

Steve

Yes, they just banned the import of handhelds. You have to speak fluent French to find it. Its not a law, its a ministerial directive. The rule is in the French Senate as we type to become law.

Steve

Dayyummm so I can't import to France? Do you think it'll be ok if I do? Hes already bidding and keeping at the top :/ Whatd u think I should do?

Steve

Wait so its not law yet or.... ???