Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can anyone identifiy this man?

Who is he?

Maiman.JPG

Good job Niko! Yes he was the first to demonstrate a working laser, which was a ruby rod pumped with flashlamps, as you can see in the photo. Ruby rod with helical flashlamp on the left and cooling cavity on the right. His birthday was on July 11. We should all celebrate on his birthday every year for his contribution. :D

Last edited:
We should make this a running game/thread. I think it's awesome to see what people actually looked like, connecting a face with an equation or a constant is always nice. There are some awe-inspiring pictures out there from the early 1900s with ALL the guys who were figuring out quantum mechanics for the first time, all in one pic. Single pictures with so many Nobel Prize winners all together, all the founders of modern physics in one place, it's amazing.

So should we do only laser-related people? Physicists? I'm gonna vote for major physicists and laser-related people. Chemistry and bio are right out.

ETA: This photo is an example of what I'm talking about. I'm sure you can all name at least one of these guys from the photo because of his hair, but you'll recognize the names of at least a dozen. And since I know you're wondering, there are SEVENTEEN Nobel prize winners in this photo from 1927. An astounding amount of knowledge, the basis of modern physics right here.

800pxsolvay_conference_1927.jpg

Last edited:
^Yeah, that high-and-mighty SOB.. He thought that just because he demonstrated the first working ruby laser it entitled him to piss everyone off.

but seriously.. Happy B-day Lazor-makin' d00d.

D

Deleted member 8382

No, he means Hitler, the guy at the far left.

:evil: (Of course I'm joking) :evil:
lol lol lol

[thinking]
btw, he died 2 years ago, I'm sure he was amazed on how the world he created had grown, I mean, usually people who invent things don't see their invents developed as much as him, blurays, IR cutters...
[/thinking]

Yours,
Albert

Last edited by a moderator:
lol lol lol

[thinking]
btw, he died 2 years ago, I'm sure he was amazed on how the world he created had grown, I mean, usually people who invent things don't see their invents developed as much as him, blurays, IR cutters...
[/thinking]

Yours,
Albert

I've gotta start inventing stuff (which doesn't get done first by companies...don't you hate it when that happens? I think of something never heard of... next year a company is selling it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakzaw1
didnt he get banned for excessive trolling??
..then Arenared said:
WTF are you talking about ? !?! ?!

edit ... oh duh.. nm -------hak sez-Sorry--I left out the overused LOL-just trying to get a smile out of somebody. Maiman was the MAINMAN -we owe him a lot.