Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can a laser hurt a digital camera?

Putrio

Hello

Me, asking a noobish question again...I have a nice dSLR, and I'm curious if taking a picture of the dot or beam can hurt the CMOS sensor? Not really sure if too much light can damage the electronics like it can damage our eyes. Thanks!

Ian

Putrio said:
Hello

Me, asking a noobish question again...I have a nice dSLR, and I'm curious if taking a picture of the dot or beam can hurt the CMOS sensor?  Not really sure if too much light can damage the electronics like it can damage our eyes.  Thanks!

Ian
Yes it can, definetly.
Thats why in some of the pictures you see in the forums have black spot.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR4CcJOIpkw[/media]
-greg

Here is my CCD burn :p 114mW of green straight into the lens. So, uh, don't point it directly in your camera lens and you should be fine :p Taking regular pics of the dot and beam safe :p
2wqbbj6.jpg

diachi

HumanSymphony said:
Here is my CCD burn :p 114mW of green straight into the lens. So, uh, don't point it directly in your camera lens and you should be fine :p Taking regular pics of the dot and beam safe :p
2wqbbj6.jpg

Unless you have a 60W YAG vag burner ::)

Diachi said:
[quote author=HumanSymphony link=1239391010/0#2 date=1239393436]Here is my CCD burn :p 114mW of green straight into the lens. So, uh, don't point it directly in your camera lens and you should be fine :p Taking regular pics of the dot and beam safe :p
2wqbbj6.jpg

Unless you have a 60W YAG vag burner  ::)[/quote]
Well it all depends on how much light is going into the camera :p

Putrio

HumanSymphony said:

HumanSymphony - That burn mark is on all pictures you take now?

Putrio said:
[quote author=HumanSymphony link=1239391010/0#2 date=1239393436]Here is my CCD burn :p 114mW of green straight into the lens. So, uh, don't point it directly in your camera lens and you should be fine :p Taking regular pics of the dot and beam safe :p

[highlight]HumanSymphony - That burn mark is on all pictures you take now?[/highlight]
[/quote]
Yes, unfortunately. CCD sensor seem to be like eyes, they cant get repaired.. You gotta changes them.. (You cant get new eyes on Ebay.., your"e stuck with them  from born till death.)

-Greg

Raybo

Putrio said:
Hello

Me, asking a noobish question again...I have a nice dSLR, and I'm curious if taking a picture of the dot or beam can hurt the CMOS sensor?  Not really sure if too much light can damage the electronics like it can damage our eyes.  Thanks!

Ian

A direct hit to the lens will muck up your sensor but a long exposure of the beam should be no problem, it's just light.

Raybo said:
A direct hit to the lens will muck up your sensor but a long exposure of the beam should be no problem, it's just light.
THATS WHAT SHE SAID!!!!!

Mohrenberg said:
[quote author=Raybo link=1239391010/0#7 date=1239407319]
THATS WHAT SHE SAID!!!!![/quote]

oh come on, that wasn't even very good :-/

My camera has CCD burns. From less than 100mW scanned. I figured being relatively low power and scanned wouldn't make it an issue, unfortunately, that was not the case :mad:

Look towards the center of the image - the green and black dots are permanent :(
Click Image to Enlarge

Kenom

How many of us remember the infamous GooeyGus CCD burned pictures.?? Let me refresh memories.

DSC00931.jpg

DSC00854.jpg

DSC00855.jpg

JLSE

Bluray is the worst offender in my books.. I had my first cam. survive hits from red and green with no problems.

Bluray on the other hand, even 100mW's has burned my CCD.

I went and got a new cam.a nice sony (nothing special) and at the time was building my first RGV scanner. During a video, the 405 @ 100mW just grazed the lens in a scan and instantly scorched a line the CCD! on my new cam at that!! :mad:

I was lucky enough to find a broken same model cam on ebay and swapped the CCD. Now shes back to new again.

Moral of the story, dont allow a direct hit from any laser, mainly 405nm, but snapping pics of the dot and beam is fine. I have yet to burn  a new mark since completely avoiding direct hits ;)