Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Camera Flash Death Ray

So of course now I want to make one. Those Cannon camera flashers are very expensive. However, this could just be done with a large Xenon flash tube extracted from an old strobe and a flexible reflective sheet to make a parabolic mirror. I think this could be made for pretty cheap. If it's well focused it should light matches with ease.

-Tony

ICU

Ghetto laser hair removal system :crackup::crackup::crackup:

Any volunteers for trying that one out :eg:

Exactly how expensive are those flash "modules" for cameras, i'm not exactly a photography person.

I wonder how well these would work for solid state flash pumping... ruby anyone? YAG?

3zuli

Ghetto laser hair removal system :crackup::crackup::crackup:

Any volunteers for trying that one out :eg:
ME! im gonna take my fathers Nikon flash and some magnifying lens :eg:

edit: oh no he has taken the flash with him to work... nevamind, he'll come in the evening :D

Last edited:
I wonder how well these would work for solid state flash pumping... ruby anyone? YAG?

i was thinking the same thing, sort of a ready made PFN. I wonder if it could fire the tube in say a SSY-1 laser head.

They are fun to play with. The built-in flash on my Canon XS burns stuff. :D

Here is what I'm thinking.

Parabola.png

If it can burn paper while it's unfocused it should punch a hole in it if it is somehow focused to a small point.

-Tony

The SSY-1 is Xenon flash tube pumped. Sam's has a very good write-up about the SSy-1 unit. It's easy to search up.
Some excerpts ---
Threshold input ~7.5 Joules. Output estimates of 10 to 50 mJ.
Recommended energy input to the little flash tube 15 Joules. Higher inputs will damage the Dye cell Q switch. They estimate that the rod will take higher input.
Go gently on the little laser but protect your eyes.
Those high powered flash units may be too much if they go much over 15 J.

HMike

HIMNL9

Uhm ..... you are not planning to place a ND-YAG rod inside a Mecablitz 76 MZ-5 unit, right ? .....

(J/K :p :eg:)

It is possible to put an NdYag rod into that flash but you still need optics to produce a beam. Also, a Xenon flash tube produces output, some of which does not pump the rod. A cavity coated with Barium oxide helps convert some of the light into useable pumping wavelength. The current density in the tube also affects the wavelengths produced. It is more complicated than flashing a light at the rod.

HMike

Recommended energy input to the little flash tube 15 Joules. Higher inputs will damage the Dye cell Q switch. They estimate that the rod will take higher input.

So far my SSY-1 has been holding up just fine to 50J of input, the burn spot is free
of imperfections and the q-switch looks fine. I think i will just fly till failure :beer:

Last edited: