Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Burning blu-ray Discs at 10X

i'm still learning but pulsed power at 320mw. that is weird to me when the 8x is pushing 441mw cw. if there is another explanation, i'm all ears

8x diodes are NOT rated that high. Everyone on this forum runs diodes at much higher than their rated limits.

For part of the explanation for why that is, a diode is generally rated at 10,000 hours or more at its rated powers. A hobbyist will probably never reach 100 hours runtime on their diodes, so running at higher-than-rated powers can be ok.

hey pullbangdead, the run time explanation is clear to me. but is the article correct about the diodes being pulsed for the burners? and thanks for the first explanation

HIMNL9

^ in burners, the diodes are never used as cw, in writing process ..... only in reading, that uses much less power than writing.

In writing, they are driven high power at very high speed (megahertz, usually), for heat the spots that make the tracks of data in the transparent layer of the disk.

Indicatively, you can consider them as quasi-cw use, at that power, with a duty cycle of 50%, more or less.

Yeah, I saw that. Uses 20 diodes combined with fiber optics to make ONE MASSIVE BEAM!!!! I think that's like wannaburn's 4-PHR-DIY taken to an extreme level with much better methods and quality. No offense wannaburn. I love the fact they all run off of one PCB and power source. And water-cooled. All in a compact slot. This is now newly on my never-gonna-happen wishlist, occupying number 1 spot. I can also imagine it can be run at more than 6 Watts. The little label that is on the datasheet says max power output is 30 Watts.

6Watt405nmLaserDiagram.jpg

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

k1kb0t

That is impressive. What does the Fiber use to combine the beams?

Jon