Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Building a Red Laser. Suggestions/Critique of Parts

udanis

Hey, its been a while since I've built a laser (over a year and a half). I didn't want to spend a bunch of money right now. I threw together a parts list and I was hoping I could get some critiques and suggestions on it. So I am looking to do a ~650nm pen build around 100-200mW.

-Host: This guy http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-new-pen-host-kits-switch-board-spring-option-nice-22561.html

-Module/Diode: I was considering this module: https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/3-8mm-650nm-300mw-diode
(I couldn't find a amp vs output power graph for this diode does anyone know what the source of this diode)

-Driver: This is what I need help on. In the past i've use the microdrives. Anyone have any suggestions of one that would fit inside of the laser module?

-Batteries: 2x AAA (Preferred) or 2x 10440, driver dependent.

Also, are there any better glass lens out there for 650 besides the expensive g-1 and g-2?

Let me know what you think of this project thanks!

Not sure I can help with the other questions, but I have talked with DTR about this diode recently. Specifically the driver.

You will want to use a Linear or Buck driver with this. DRT lists this as being able to run at 400mA or less. The X-Drive is a decent buck driver. But the lowest I have seen run at 500mA and up. I am thinking about modifying one to 400mA. Unless someone has a better driver to suggest for this diode?

Batteries will definitely depend on the driver.

The big thing for me is that being that this is going to be in a pen host, the driver pretty much has to fit inside of the module.

I guess this would be an option with two 10440 lithium cells:
Mohgasm 100mA linear driver circuit [MOH100] - $12.99 : Cajunlasers Store

This would also work too, and cheaper:
GhostDrive2

Yes, both of those would require2 Lithium cells. 2 x AAA cells will not provide enough voltage. The GhostDrive2 is listed as out of stock at the bottom of the page, and "Units in Stock: 0" at the top where you choose your current.

udanis

So driver options (thus far):

-Micro-boost --- $38 --- 2x AAA's or 1 10440 ---Expensive
-Mohgasm --- $13 --- 2X 10440 --- I is lower than wanted
-GhostDrive2 --- $7 --- 2X 10440 ---Out of stock

Any other options for a driver that would fit in a standard module?

udanis

You could use the X-Switch. It is designed for the penhost. The driver is a buck driver and I think you can use one 3.7V cell to operate. For the 445nm diode you will need two cells. You can see the build here, http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/very-overspec-445nm-laserpen-78527.html

Oh wow, thats a awesome build!

Okay so possible drivers now:
-Micro-boost --- $38 --- 2x AAA's or 1 10440 ---Expensive
-Mohgasm --- $13 --- 2X 10440 --- I is lower than wanted
-GhostDrive2 --- $7 --- 2X 10440 ---Out of stock
-E-Drive ---$17 --- 2x 10440 ---PMed Le Quark and they will fit
-X-Drive --- ??? ---1x 10440 or 2x AAA ---Couldn't find a price on these guys

Blord

Mail Lazeerer for the X-Switch. I think Cajunlasers has also some drivers but they have fixed output.

gillza

microboost is not suitable for reds. You want a boost/buck drive or buck drive.

udanis

Okay so here is where I am at.

Host: Black Jayrob pen host
Driver: (Hopefully) the x-switch, waiting to hear back about current options
Diode: The DTR linked about @ 300-400mA per DTR suggestion
Lens: Glass AR
Battery: 2X10440

I think that wraps it up. One I hear back about the x-switch I order everything.