Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Build thread: 4.4W 445nm dual diode laser

ARG

Re: Build: 4W 445nm handheld (WIP)

YO SNAP!
i just realized it was you ARG!
let me know when its finished and maybe i can take a look at it in person? ^_^
4W of awesome goodness!

Yeah sure! It's going to be a while though. I'm running into lots of problems with the optics; the wave plate is very touchy and it has to be at the perfect position or it won't polarize the beam properly and I'll lose a lot of power in the PBS.

Hopefully I'll have it done next weekend. Unfinished projects drive me insane. :D

NJO

I'm doing almost the same project as you are, with 2x 9mm diodes, the initial plan was with 3x, if space provides i will do it with 3; I tried to contact JLSE by his youtube account to know how he did the 3.5W in such a small space, my available host has only 27mm of circumference.

I'm doing almost the same project as you are, with 2x 9mm diodes, the initial plan was with 3x, if space provides i will do it with 3; I tried to contact JLSE by his youtube account to know how he did the 3.5W in such a small space, my available host has only 27mm of circumference.

9mm diodes would be quite big, or not ?

NJO

They are Big but once inside the module, it takes the same space as a 5mm diode, you would not know the difference, and provides more power.

They are Big but once inside the module, it takes the same space as a 5mm diode, you would not know the difference, and provides more power.
More power more heat...
:shhh:

NJO

Yes indeed, a small fan will definitely be needed.

ARG

Well, I got the wave plate on perfectly. I would take a picture, but it looks like crap and you wont be able to see much since my friend needed his DSLR back. I'm getting a 5-8% loss from the waveplate, better than my 10% estimate. The PBS cube and the mirror are also really efficient I'm seeing about a 3% loss on the mirror, and nearly 100% transmission with the PBS. I'm really pleased with this; I'm glad I bought the more expensive quality optics for this.
If everything works out perfectly, I should easily get 4.5W out of this :D

The mirror is next to mount, as I have to align the beams with the mirror on the y axis, and get the x axis as close as I can, then I can do the final x axis adjustment when I glue down the PBS.

Last edited:

ARG

I finally finished aligning the optics. After hours and hours of filing, loud swearing and epoxy everywhere (Except on the optics :)) the hardest part is done.

I will have some power measurements up later today, the epoxy is still curing.

All that is left is soldering the driver wires to the diode wires, then it's done.

Here's the final configuration. There's a waveplate over the aperture on the first diode, so that the final beam will end up in one line instead of an ugly + since I'm using a PBS cube.
I glued a piece of acrylic down so that the optics will not move when the metal heatsink expands. I have heated up the heatsink and let it cool down multiple times and the optics stay aligned.
sVJlu.jpg

WFcZL.jpg

ARG

The epoxy has dried enough so that I feel comfortable turning it on to take power measurements. My LPM can only do 3.2W max so I had to meter the diodes individually.

2.4W peak from the first diode at 2A stable at 2.35W
53v51.jpg

2.0W peak from the second diode at 2A stable at 1.95W
vIksV.jpg

Total 4.4W peak 4.3W stable in a handheld! :D

That is very impressive work. I know that could not have been easy. Great job!
I have a question regarding the use of a waveplate. I thought that if you orient the diodes perpendicular to one another, then they would merge as one line? If not, then what is the procedure for using the waveplate as far as the position of the diodes in relation to the cube? ex: __ | or || or __ __

Reactions: ARG

ARG

That is very impressive work. I know that could not have been easy. Great job!
I have a question regarding the use of a waveplate. I thought that if you orient the diodes perpendicular to one another, then they would merge as one line? If not, then what is the procedure for using the waveplate as far as the position of the diodes in relation to the cube? ex: __ | or || or __ __

Without a wave plate the beams have to go through the cube oppositely polarized. So - and | would result in +

The wave plate changes the polarization of the laser, but not the orientation of the light. So - and - would result in - OR | and | to get |

I wanted to have good beam specs on this, so I used a wave plate to combine the two diodes while still maintaining regular G2 lens beam specs. It gives it a higher power density as well so the beam looks really bright :)

ARG

It's finished! :D I'll post a new thread with information tomorrow, since this one is cluttered and all over the place and much of the information in the OP is incorrect.
Better beam shots, video and other such multimedia will be in the thread tomorrow.

dUdBx.jpg

RPWRc.jpg

Wired up :) The two lose wires are the negative connection. The diodes lack a case pin so these will we sandwiched between the the driver pocket and the driver pocket cap.

6Bp8d.jpg

IrORh.jpg

All done!

nHd8R.jpg

In the head for some testing before I run it with batteries :)

hJKBe.jpg

The whole laser

j85hf.jpg

At night, my neighbours saw this :whoops:

I am very pleased with the results of this, the beams overlaps perfectly; which I was not expecting. One minor thing I am displeased with is that the beam is not coming out at a 90 degree angle, more like an 85 degree angle with the host, but it is not really noticeable unless you are looking for it :p

It is incredibly bright and in my extremely well lit room the beam is still extremely visible. I already burnt a hole in my wall :wtf: it only takes a 1/4 of a second to burn a hole, I have to keep it moving or it will burn the wall.

Last edited:

Encap

Re: Worlds most powerful handheld 4.4W 445nm

Congratulations!!

3 Cheers! Let's here it for ARG!

Have been watchng this thread with interest --was a long road but you kept your focus and achieved something really worthwhile---very nice. For a while there I thought maybe you would abandon the projest because of the amount of time and effort, correction, more time and effort , correction, more time and effort sequence. What an adventure!

Awesome and beautiful work----simply fantastic ----very nice.

Best regards,
Encap

Last edited:

ARG

Congratulations!!

3 Cheers! Let's here it for ARG!

Have been watchng this thread with interest --was a long road but you kept you focus and achieved something really worthwhile---very nice. For a while there I thought maybe you would abandon the projest because of the amount of time and effort, correction, more time and effort , correction, more time and effort sequence. What an adventure!

Awesome and beautiful work----simply fantastic ----very nice.

Best regards,
Encap

Thanks! :) I got very frustrated at some points because the optics are really hard to align in such a small space. I took plenty of breaks and had another project going at the same time so that I wouldn't get bored :)

YAYAYAY congrats very impressive work my friend. i cant wait to hear more about it

ARG

YAYAYAY congrats very impressive work my friend. i cant wait to hear more about it

Thanks! :D

The new thread will all the info's will be up tomorrow night after I get some real beamshots and glamour pictures.