Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Browser hijacker - redirect "virus"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Emptying your temp files is just as useful as running a virus scan. Almost/if not all malware nowadays uses persistence so that you can't delete it or kill it's process.

norbie

Emptying your temp files is just as useful as running a virus scan. Almost/if not all malware nowadays uses persistence so that you can't delete it or kill it's process.

Usually if you get an error when trying to delete something like this you can delete it if you boot into safe mode.

Usually if you get an error when trying to delete something like this you can delete it if you boot into safe mode.
Yeah, I just boot off of a linux distribution installed to a USB stick. Works a charm! :wave:

So I down loaded malwearbytes and it picked out 23 bad things and deleted them then I down loaded CCleaner and it removed
a ton of crap then I changed from my old Firefox browser to chrome and logged back on to LPF I had to put in my name and
password and it was fine till I answered some PM's and I got that home depot sound track add again just like it always dose.
I have only had the virus open some windows a couple times but the add sound track is driving me nuts :gun:

There it goes again sound like a talk show interview, now it sounds like comedy hour WTF :thinking:

The chrome browser is faster though with LPF in case any one wants to know...

Last edited:
So I down loaded malwearbytes and it picked out 23 bad things and deleted them then I down loaded CCleaner and it removed
a ton of crap then I changed from my old Firefox browser to chrome and logged back on to LPF I had to put in my name and
password and it was fine till I answered some PM's and I got that home depot sound track add again just like it always dose.
I have only had the virus open some windows a couple times but the add sound track is driving me nuts :gun:

There it goes again sound like a talk show interview, now it sounds like comedy hour WTF :thinking:

The chrome browser is faster though with LPF in case any one wants to know...

I also got a Home Depot "sound track advertisement"!!!!!
! also got a "Suze Ormand" program. WTF?????
I thought I was picking up some radio station or tv station???
I also just used Malwarebytes a couple of days ago but deleted everything after I used it for a scan.

For Christ's sakes,

Adblock Plus ? for annoyance-free web surfing

Install, restart browser.

Disable for page dedicated to reading and replying to Personal Messages.
Don't enable for entire LPF homepage, disable component by component to avoid losing smilies or other icons that are not advertisement.

5 minutes of fiddling about and your homepage looks like this.

LPF.jpg

I'm terribly sorry, Avery. I know this forum runs on ad revenue. And donations.

We even all took it when there's literally more screenspace filled with ads than actual content on the homepage (see the brutally long strip of ads below the forum? It makes right slider impossible to use).

But when all those ads start playing shitty music and shitty videos on their own without my permission, and worst of all: carrying viruses, that's when I draw the line.

Anybody needing any help with setting up AdBlockPlus, let me know here and I'll get back to you. If thread gets locked, PM me instead.

Last edited:
For Christ's sakes,

Adblock Plus ? for annoyance-free web surfing

Install, restart browser.

Disable for page dedicated to reading and replying to Personal Messages.
Don't enable for entire LPF homepage, disable component by component to avoid losing smilies or other icons that are not advertisement.

5 minutes of fiddling about and your homepage looks like this.

LPF.jpg

I'm terribly sorry, Avery. I know this forum runs on ad revenue. And donations.

We even all took it when there's literally more screenspace filled with ads than actual content on the homepage (see the brutally long strip of ads below the forum? It makes right slider impossible to use).

But when all those ads start playing shitty music and shitty videos on their own without my permission, and worst of all: carrying viruses, that's when I draw the line.

Anybody needing any help with setting up AdBlockPlus, let me know here and I'll get back to you. If thread gets locked, PM me instead.
I'm famous! :p, Yeah I agree. Never had one problem. Bit hard to get infected by an add which never exists thanks to this great little addon.

Well every now and then a video ad plays at the very BOTTOM of the page, I had the hijacker, Hijackthis got rid if it pretty easily.

Oh, and eudamonium, I thought my PM count of 1000 was pretty high...

ARG

@Eud

You can add this filter too to get rid of the adds on top and the blank space on the bottom. The only downside is it removes the search bar.
laserpointerforums.com##CENTER

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
If everyone blocked ads, the site would not be possible.

LPF has high costs associated with it. If you must block the ads, please considering donating each month.

To be honest I have never seen an ad play audio or ever gotten a single malware warning on the site. If you keep your browser plugins updated in general, there is very little chance of ever getting infected on the Internet in general in my opinion. Also note that some antimalware programs blocks IP / domains based on reputation, so just b/c you get a popup doesn't mean you actually got infected. There can be false positives with this as well since IPs change frequently. they might block ad entire ad networks IP range as "bad" just b/c of one suspicious item.

The total amount of ads on the site has actually went down significantly. One less banner ad on the top, and many less on the bottom.

So in conclusion please consider donating if you must block ads. If anyone has images of specific ads causing audio issue please let me know so I can report to the ad network and get those removed.

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
In my entire life I have never once been infected with any adware / malware. They key is keeping your browser plugins updated and removing stuff you don't need (e.g. no point in having Java if you don't use it)

If you are worried about malware my # advice is to focus on removing vulnerable software which allows exploits that drop malware in the first place. Kaspersky internet security has vulnerability scanning tool and Secunia PSI also helps finds vulnerable programs.

If you need help securing your system send me a PM

ped

Replying to a closed thread isn't the best but..

I have had NO PROBLEMS whatsoever, I have adblock enabled but 95% of the ads are allowed as they haven't caused any problems, iv'e certainly had no music playing or redirects...I don't understand it. I do however keep my system & plug-ins updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.