Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Blue ray whitens teeth

If ive read correctly an article about it said it operated in the 200nm - 400nm range

200nm is hard UV or UVA. I seriously hope that the light source they ae using for hardening is above this.

btw, did you happen to smell ozone when they were curing your teeth?

Ozone is a byproduct of hard UV slamming into 02 and N2 creating an extra charged bond.
Nozone or nitrous ozone has a distinct smell.

One last time everyone the Blu Ray logo was embossed by the OEM on the handle of the wand...... I doubt the dentist ordered in an embossing machine just to make this tool look cool.

Doe blu ray have a definition outside the motion picture industry, is it just a catch phrase??????

I tried searching to see if that damn logo means anything, and all I get is movies.....

Does blu ray mean anything at all or is it just a generic term????????????????????????

KiLLrB

did the logo look like this one?
Blueray Germicidal UV Light - UV Air Purifier lol only thing i could find with blu-ray and uv

also... The use of UV-light to polymerize dental composite materials proved to be too hazardous, so now blue-light only systems are used that provide as good, if not superior performance. Several manufacturers of the blue-light cured dental composite materials now exist. These roughly fall into two categories, ones that nominally cure at 430 nanometer light-wavelength, and ones that cure at about 470 nanometers.

Quoted from http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6171105/description.html

Last edited:

KiLLrB

hmmmm... Were you on laughing gas possibly:crackup:
but seriously i have no idea i cant find anything on it

KiLLrB

One last time everyone the Blu Ray logo was embossed by the OEM on the handle of the wand...... I doubt the dentist ordered in an embossing machine just to make this tool look cool.

Doe blu ray have a definition outside the motion picture industry, is it just a catch phrase??????

I tried searching to see if that damn logo means anything, and all I get is movies.....

Does blu ray mean anything at all or is it just a generic term????????????????????????

found this Blu-ray.com - Blu-ray FAQ

me either, and if I percieve this logo right, it is intended to make a lower case b surrounded by an upper case D meaning Blu ray Disk??

Tell ya what, she gets her braces adjusted every six weeks, I will sneak a digital cam into the dentist office with me.

I love nitrous but they have big open work areas, so sneaking a huff would get me thrown out of there quick.

I'm tired, cranky and need sleep, thanks for putting up with me in my strange mood... Goodnight.

If they exposed your gums and mouth tissue to 200- 285nm or so light they would risk a lot of cancer! So, they are almost certainly using longer wl's! -Glenn

MickyP

Hi all, in the uncertainty about wavelengths of these dentistry tools, I remember it was somewhat common a few years back for RC modelers to build themselves a UV catalyst floodlight out of an array of 395nM LED's that are common at the electronics hobbyist shops.

These homebuilt floodlights very rapidly cured cynoacrylate and epoxy resins and glues, paints, anything that benefited from a UV catalyst.

The colour of light emitted from them was a very deep purple, quite faint, and also produced the "blacklight" fluoroescence effect from nightclubs. These LED's had quite accurate wavelength tolerances so I suspect that any dentistry tools that looks distinctly "blue" instead of deep purple would be above 395nM.
Hope this helps.

Mick.

Next time I go to the dentist, I'm bringing one of my PHRs and asking them if I can try using it on the glue. Also-they made me wear yellow (BR blocking yellow) goggles when I got my braces put in.

will

Tell ya what, she gets her braces adjusted every six weeks, I will sneak a digital cam into the dentist office with me.
Dentist: Whats with the camera?
Photonaholic: Some buddies didn't believe that your wand there has a Blu-ray logo on it. Its copyrighted & supposedly used Only for Blu-ray movies.
Dentist: *blank stare*
Daughter: Daaaad!

Sorry couldn't resist :angel:

I'm thinking I need sleep too

Last edited:

HIMNL9

Uhm ..... first, a lot of those "guns" for dental resin polymerization, are halogen lamps with a filter (usually a 10W 12V lamp with a glass filter) ..... only the new models uses leds, like P4 emitters ..... second, the usually frequencies of polymerization of the most part of the dental resins are in the 440/480nm range (opposite to the ones used for hobby or industrial works, that can have a polymerization range that vary from 350 to 550 nm) .....

This, also if the polymerization is more quick at 350nm, is made primarily for health safety ..... from a 10W halogen, the filter can left pass 1 or 2 W in the range of 440/480nm, and this range is just "blue light", where instead a pair of watt of 350nm for repeated or prolonged expositions, for the delicate tissues inside the mouth (that don't have any protective pigmentation against UV) can be dangerous, or at least, it was considered a risk.

Why bother with a filter at all? Is the red light detrimental to the effect?

I think your 2W of blue light from 10W halogen bulb is VERY optimistic.

HIMNL9

Why bother with a filter at all? Is the red light detrimental to the effect?

I think your 2W of blue light from 10W halogen bulb is VERY optimistic.

Maybe, at least it look 1 or 2 W, on sight, but i never measured it, just repaired the one of my dentist ..... and about the filter, is not that the red light cause problems, just it take away also all the IR and heat component, cause this can "expand" or deformate the resin in the polymerization process (that what i mean, is that the blue part of the light that reach the resin is "cold" light ..... no heat at all)

Also, in the meantime, i've found some infos about the new systems, and they use a power LED rated as "600mW at 440/460nm" (single led) ..... at least the one i've found ..... so, yes, new systems uses leds (but still not lasers :D)