Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Blindness?^^

I was trying to figure this out. I thought it had something to do with the means of calculating the distances; " For flashblindness, the FAA’s Sensitive Zone Exposure Distance is used. The maximum permissible exposure in this area is 0.1 milliwatts (100 microwatts) per square centimeter."
Really, I think it has to do with our sensitivity (or lack) to blue light.
Green will flashblind at relatively low powers because it's at the peak of our sensitivity. I believe that a blue would be powerful enough to do damage before it causes flash blindness. Does this make sense?
Hmm,... :thinking:

This is the same thing I was thinking. It makes sense although I feel like there is probably some power of blue that has the ability to cause flash blindness without injury.

Blade

Wow, 200 petawatts on one laser? Craziness. I've been out of the laser hobby for quite some time now and come to read this. Looks like much has changed!

yeah, its crazy! plus if they were to tear apart the vacuum of space, wouldnt that cause some sort of implosion of space and matter around it??? this laser would have to be exremely stable in order to keep this "hole in space" open, so it doesnt suck everything into it. i think its a mistake if you ask me :eek:

yeah, its crazy! plus if they were to tear apart the vacuum of space, wouldnt that cause some sort of implosion of space and matter around it??? this laser would have to be exremely stable in order to keep this "hole in space" open, so it doesnt suck everything into it. i think its a mistake if you ask me :eek:

I think ti's just crazy scientist speak just like the LHC was going to destroy the world and for some strange reason the world is still here...

xoul

I can say from experience, one second of direct exposure to a 445nm 1W beam will result in a burned retina. As far as appearance, I have peripheral vision in the affected eye, but my central vision is nothing more than a dark redish orange blob that looks exactly like dark blob in my avatar, except i see it upside down. As far as size - if I am standing normal speaking distance away from someone, i cannot see their face at all, only their body and outline of their head.

I can say from experience, one second of direct exposure to a 445nm 1W beam will result in a burned retina. As far as appearance, I have peripheral vision in the affected eye, but my central vision is nothing more than a dark redish orange blob that looks exactly like dark blob in my avatar, except i see it upside down. As far as size - if I am standing normal speaking distance away from someone, i cannot see their face at all, only their body and outline of their head.

Yea but don't you think if the person was far from the actual laser that there's a distance at which a person could be flash blinded for a few seconds without suffering permanent damage.

xoul

Probably so. For me, I was about maybe 4 feet or less away. I can imagine you might be spared permanent damage if you were maybe 20 feet away or so for a brief exposure, but i'll let someone else find that out firsthand. :)

There are calculators for safe distance (for no damage) and I think most lasers are measured in KM/Miles to be completely safe IIRC, not a few feet.

Just like when idiots illuminate a plane the pilot can suffer from flash blindness but it's not powerful enough to cause direct eye damage. But that's thousands of feet away, so unless the person was on a hill or way high up the earth would get in the way before they could see the beam.

There are calculators for safe distance (for no damage) and I think most lasers are measured in KM/Miles to be completely safe IIRC, not a few feet.

Just like when idiots illuminate a plane the pilot can suffer from flash blindness but it's not powerful enough to cause direct eye damage. But that's thousands of feet away, so unless the person was on a hill or way high up the earth would get in the way before they could see the beam.

Thats what I'm talking about. So while I believe there has to be a distance at which exposure to a 1W 445 won't cause permanent damage either way in the end I don't want ANY lasers in ANY color in my eyes from ANY distance.

DrSid

Probably so. For me, I was about maybe 4 feet or less away. I can imagine you might be spared permanent damage if you were maybe 20 feet away or so for a brief exposure, but i'll let someone else find that out firsthand. :)

It's not YOUR eye, is it ? It looks more like .22 caliber wound then laser damage .. scary shit ..

DrSid

Uh .. I feel sorry for you dude .. but thanks. I'm not keeping my lasers with batteries inside and outside safe anymore.

Uh .. I feel sorry for you dude .. but thanks. I'm not keeping my lasers with batteries inside and outside safe anymore.

Also don't keep round lasers outside of a tripod of some sort if you're going to leave them on :p

DrSid

Dazzle would be a lot better title. But you know journalists ..