Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Blindness?^^

Hi :D , i have this question, wich i would like to know the answer, so here it goes: wich laser power will guarantee instant blindness ( if the beam is pointed directly into the eye).

PS. I DO NOT intend to make any negligence, I just like to be informed. =D

Last edited:

SOG

total bliness? I suppose it depend on how much power density per area? if a 1W power laser fires into your eyes, and the laser have 1W power equally land on every eye cell area, then I think you would be bind, but i don't know how to calculate how much power you need to shot driectly into your eyes to create that effect.

Last edited:
Since it's a small dot it's hard to be completely blinded by a laser... You can cause a permanent _blind spot_ with as little as 6mW of power, probably less if it's IR.

Now if this were to hit the right spot near the optic nerve it could cause complete blindness but again it depends very much on where and for how long and how the body heals to get the full scope of the damage. This has a far lower chance of occurring.

Also with minor damage can come bleeding and major swelling which could cause one to loose an eye if not treated.

Since it's a small dot it's hard to be completely blinded by a laser... You can cause a permanent _blind spot_ with as little as 6mW of power, probably less if it's IR.

Now if this were to hit the right spot near the optic nerve it could cause complete blindness but again it depends very much on where and for how long and how the body heals to get the full scope of the damage. This has a far lower chance of occurring.

Also with minor damage can come bleeding and major swelling which could cause one to loose an eye if not treated.

eh... so several factors come in play.. Thank you both for the info:D

DrSid

Total blindness would be hard to achieve. But to get to 'not able to read' state, I guess 1W would be pretty enough.

Also don't shine lasers in yours or anyone elses eyes :p
Some guy got a 1W in his eyes today (or yesterday) when an accident occurred. He has some retinal bleeding and probably some damage.

Also don't shine lasers in yours or anyone elses eyes :p
Some guy got a 1W in his eyes today (or yesterday) when an accident occurred. He has some retinal bleeding and probably some damage.

Shure,will do :tsk: :eg:

Hi :D , i have this question, wich i would like to know the answer, so here it goes: wich laser power will guarantee instant blindness ( if the beam is pointed directly into the eye).

PS. I DO NOT intend to make any negligence, I just like to be informed. =D

I'm always amused by these types of questions... Specifically ones where you can use something much more effective and different from a laser.

That rifle in your avatar for example... one bullet to the eye and I GUARANTEE instant blindness:eg:

Also darts, a BB gun, a hot poker, a spoon, and about a million other things.

I'm always amused by these types of questions... Specifically ones where you can use something much more effective and different from a laser.

That rifle in your avatar for example... one bullet to the eye and I GUARANTEE instant blindness:eg:

lol ^^ , but you need to buy ammo, silencer to make it a stealth efective weapon, and its quite heavy :D a "laser rifle" would be the ultimate weapon =D

Last edited:
lol ^^ , but you need to buy ammo, silencer to make it a stealth efective weapon, and its quite heavy :D a "laser rifle" would be the ultimate weapon =D

I think I'd rather be shot in the head with a laser beam than a gun.

See this thread to understand a bit more about how lasers blind you.

My question to you is why do you want to know what it takes to cause complete blindness? Isn't partial blindness bad enough? Me thinks you may have bad intentions here. (my opinion)

See this thread to understand a bit more about how lasers blind you.

My question to you is why do you want to know what it takes to cause complete blindness? Isn't partial blindness bad enough? Me thinks you may have bad intentions here. (my opinion)

Naa i think he is just curious. Im pretty curious about this too. By the way I really like your sig.:p

I suppose it is kind of interesting in a morbid sort of way.
My signature is the result of many years of research, experimentation, and idiocy ultimately leading to that very simple but undeniable conclusion. (though I'd like to think of it more as self sacrifice in the name of science :rolleyes:)

I suppose it is kind of interesting in a morbid sort of way.
My signature is the result of many years of research, experimentation, and idiocy ultimately leading to that very simple but undeniable conclusion. (though I'd like to think of it more as self sacrifice in the name of science :rolleyes:)

Im curious do you still use lasers? And im sorry about the damage done to your eyes :(.