Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

beam difference between 473nm and 445nm?which one is BRIGHTER?

hello.. i noticed this new area.... XD
i've never heard about 445nm color.........how is it?
is it cheaper compared to a bluray diode?
to have 500mw of power.. is cheaper a BR diode od a 445nm diode?

someone should write a NOOB thread about this diode :)

i yhink that 445 is lower in brighness compared to a 475nm... but the last is a dpss system module..... A LOT EXPENSIVE for the power produced.

maybe this diode 445nm will be the 475nm alternative with high power!.
at the moment i only have 90mw of bluray i na pen.. and i must say.. i do NOT LIKE IT. poorly visible... etc... i supose the minimum power for a BR to be nicely isable/VISIBLE is 400/500mw....

but ....now that i doscovered this new diode.... i think it could be a lot brighter than a bluray!...SO::::::MORE USABLE for beam pointing oroung...... correct me if i think wrong!

daguin

Here ya go.

eye_response.jpg

All the other information you need in in this board. Read more. Ask less

Peace,
dave

i know that 473 should be brighter.. but i often read TRUE BLUE in others threads... so do'nt know what does it mean..... and if it's better the beam of this 445nm laser....i did't find a beam comparison :)

The shorter the wavelength, the less visible the light, so since 445 is shorter than 473, 473 will be perceived to be brighter. 473nm is DPSS, however, and DPSS has serious disadvantages over direct diode. Pretty much everything except beam quality is inferior.

A quick look at the chart would make one expect 20mW of 473 to be as bright looking as about 40mW of 445nm, however this chart in in daylight, believe it or not, the chart is skewed toward blue end w/ the dark adapted eye, such as observing a beam at night, so the difference my be smaller, still, there is a per mW win here for the 473nm. Also more important, the DPSS 473nm is not often affordable to hobbyists at >100mW and the 445nm will be affordable at >600mW! :scared:;) that's my USD $0.02 worth -Glenn

oikos

The shorter the wavelength, the less visible the light, so since 445 is shorter than 473, 473 will be perceived to be brighter. 473nm is DPSS, however, and DPSS has serious disadvantages over direct diode. Pretty much everything except beam quality is inferior.

wait..... i thought DPSS is better than diode? :thinking::thinking:

In terms of beam quality only. The stability of DPSS sucks horribly compared to a diode, as does the modulation response.

D

Deleted member 8382

Only in the left side of the visible spectrum. I know everyone here knows that, just to avoid some noob makes wrong conclusions hehe

A quick look at the chart would make one expect 20mW of 473 to be as bright looking as about 40mW of 445nm, however this chart in in daylight, believe it or not, the chart is skewed toward blue end w/ the dark adapted eye, such as observing a beam at night, so the difference my be smaller, still, there is a per mW win here for the 473nm. Also more important, the DPSS 473nm is not often affordable to hobbyists at >100mW and the 445nm will be affordable at >600mW! :scared:;) that's my USD $0.02 worth -Glenn

Ohhh how sweet it will be!!! Cant wait to put 70mW of 473nm next to 600+mW of 445nm!!!! This is gonna be fun!

megha

hello.. i noticed this new area.... XD
i've never heard about 445nm color.........how is it?
is it cheaper compared to a bluray diode?
to have 500mw of power.. is cheaper a BR diode od a 445nm diode?

someone should write a NOOB thread about this diode :)

i yhink that 445 is lower in brighness compared to a 475nm... but the last is a dpss system module..... A LOT EXPENSIVE for the power produced.

maybe this diode 445nm will be the 475nm alternative with high power!.
at the moment i only have 90mw of bluray i na pen.. and i must say.. i do NOT LIKE IT. poorly visible... etc... i supose the minimum power for a BR to be nicely isable/VISIBLE is 400/500mw....

but ....now that i doscovered this new diode.... i think it could be a lot brighter than a bluray!...SO::::::MORE USABLE for beam pointing oroung...... correct me if i think wrong!

there are pics doing a comparison between 405, 455 and 475nm beams in the "445nm Laser" section. Look for them and see it yourself

maxh

Don't forget 445 with its lower wavelength will have more Rayleigh scattering, helping improve its beam visibility. Whether it's enough to overcome the increased brightness of 473 due to the extra stimulation of the green receptors in the eye, I don't know.

At similar powers at night the 473nm beam looks much brighter than 445nm.