Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Battery Issues!

Just received my first 100mW laser from Lazerer. But there were no instructions on how to operate the laser. Since this is my first I don't even know what kind of battery to use. So here I am with a brand new laser and I can't even turn it on.

If anyone can tell me what kind of battery to use I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

glcon

Why don't you lookout for specs on the website you've bought from.

Thanks for your quick replies. I really appreciate it.

The laser is LZCB - CYBER 532nm 100mW Focusable Green Laser Pointer
http://lazerer.com/532nm-laser-pointers

The site says it uses Batter 18650

Is this kind of battery generally available at electronics shops

Last edited:
If its the classic then you can use 1x 18650 OR 16340 since there is a extension tube, the rest of them look to use 1x 18650 which means you should get THIS

Thanks. Everyone. I got the battery that I need. I have to go to a specialty battery shop for it. Cost me $10 and the charger $25.

What battery did you get, there is a lot of junk out there and they tend to explode. Li-Ions are not safe like the AAA/C/D cells

Now you've got me worried. I bought a Li-on 2700mah. It was a generic no name green battery. 'Ive attached a photo of it.

The numbers read IMR 18650E22 CI00240 001000

Attachments

• DSC06682a_.jpg
    DSC06682a_.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
The M in IMR stands for manganese and is an inherently safe chemistry, ie much less prone to blowing up. What little I know about batteries is this: the IMR batteries are relatively safe but give less juice than some other types like ICR, BUT they can be drained faster without problem, great for big lasers. they aren't protected like ICRs, but their chemistry means overcharging is hard and as it's a safe chemistry it's unlikely a good battery will go unstable.

That green battery you got looks like one of the many Chinese cheapies, I have about 8 AAs just like this from garden solar lights, some of them say "grepow battery" in them and googling that company immediately leads back to china. It's probably not particularly beefy but as long as the sleeve isn't lying about it being IMR you should be good to go.

I personally use a test meter on my batteries to make sure they haven't overcharged before inserting them to a laser. Multimeters are pretty cheap so it's worth getting hold of one.

Last edited:
Go with Panasonic or Sanyo 18650s ordered online from a trusted source. Also, what charger did you get? If you didn't overpay you probably got a good one which is half the battle. But, if you did overpay then I suggest returning it for this: "18650 Charger XTAR WP2" in google. I ordered mine for 20 with free shipping. Safely charges up to two 18650 batteries. You can also get two Panasonic Unprotected 18650 batteries for $20 also. I'm new to lasers so I have no idea about protected vs unprotected 18650s, I have a headlamp that uses 1 but has built in protection. I think the protected cells is more for when you're using two of them in the same device.

U would think the laser companies could provide a note or small manual what batteries etc to use, not the easiest thing know what batteries if u never owned before.

Last edited:
U would think the laser companies could provide a note or small manual what batteries etc to use, not the easiest thing know what batteries if u never owned before.

The website you buy it from CLEARLY says what batteries to use. I have never seen a website that didn't list what batteries are needed, just buyers who are too excited and don't read

Thanks for all your help guys. But the laser worked for only a few minutes and then stopped working. I tried a new battery that I knew was good but it still did not work.

There is a very faint pinkish glow when I turn it on but that is it.

Any ideas what may be causing it? How good is Lazerer for returns and exchanges?

Last edited: