Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Bad 3 element glass lens from Survival Laser

I just got a 445nm AR coated 3 element lens from Survival Laser.

Got my laser all assembled and noticed some non-typical anomalies in the output. It appeared to be a very dirty lens, however upon inspection it was spotless. The output actually appears somewhat if its going through a multi-star el-cheapo dollar store diffraction grating. This is not the typical anomalies seen with these 445nm multimode diodes, not at all, and this is the only lens I have that does this.

Actually, if you look at the laserpointerpro banner at the top of the forum, the one with the bursting fireworks, thats basically what the output looks like.

However, using a 20x loupe to inspect the lens, I noticed some strange, what appear to be scratches on the first input element. Looking closer, using the reflection on the input side as a reference, it was clear these were on the "inside" surface of the lens.

It appears the coating is heavily scratched, and may even extend into the glass itself.

If you look at the image below, you will see what appear to be scratches. These are on the INSIDE, even though the lensing makes them appear on the outside surface in the pic. You can tell if you pay close attention to the outside surface reflection.

I have not dis-assembled the lens yet. I wanted to get a response from Survival before I done that, in case they want it back.

I guess where Im going with this is, if you have some strange "bursting firework" output that is non typical, dont write is off as the behavior of these diodes. It may very well be a shatty lens.

If any of you have the same lens, from Survival, or another source, could you inspect it and see if you possibly have a similar defect that you may have been writing off as typical behavior?

Attachments

• DSCF1333.JPG
    DSCF1333.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 660

Blord

It happens to me once. The coating is bad and not every vendor checks their wares. Ask for replacement or refund.

lens-1.jpg

Last edited:
Just contact Gary and ask for a replacement - send him the photo and there shouldn't be an issue. He's great with customer service and satisfaction. Mistakes happen.

That's what is called Customer Service...:gj:

@Sputnik77...
I would have contacted the Seller way before opening
a Thread... But I guess that's just me...:beer:

Jerry

That's what is called Customer Service...:gj:

@Sputnik77...
I would have contacted the Seller way before opening
a Thread... But I guess that's just me...:beer:

Jerry

Yes, indeed!!!!

In fact, I did!!! Im sure Survival can confirm that.

Anyway, this thread was in no way to implicate Survival for any wrong doing. It was merely to indicate that some of the anomalous output seen on 445nm diodes may be from a bad lens.

However, indicating where the component was purchased is vital in rectifying the issue. There is potential for a particular vendor to get a bad batch as opposed to another and may be helpful in their attempt at correcting the issue with their supplier, if they must do so.

@Jerry...
Assumptions are the epitome of arrogance!!!

Got my new lens the other day!!! Thanks Survival!!!

The new one is perfect. Couldnt ask for better service!!

Shouldn't the name of this thread really be "Bad 3 element lens from china" :thinking:

After all SL didn't make the lens and the title makes it sound like it's there fault.

You can change it you know...

Last edited:
Shouldn't the name of this thread really be "Bad 3 element lens from china" :thinking:

After all SL didn't make the lens and the title makes it sound like it's there fault.

You can change it you know...

Actually, NO !! I didnt order it from China!!! SL Is the importer, and merchant selling the lenses, and myself , as an SL customer, cannot communicate with their Chinese supplier to ensure they improve quality control. It is SL's duty to ensure they are sending customers a quality product.

I do understand its going to happen, and SL cant validate the quality of every last lens. However, it is their duty to rectify the issue with their customer, which they did, very promptly.

SL done nothing any good business wouldnt have done, meaning they technically did not go above and beyond to ensure I was happy with my purchase, and hence, really do not deserve a pat on the back because of it, nor will I give one. They simply done what is expected of them as a business. Which is all I ask, and I will continue to purchase from them because of it.

Also, Im almost certain, if you ordered a lens from a Chinese company, and started a thread about it, you would certainly name the place it was purchased from. Just because SL is a US based company doesnt mean they deserve the right to not be named in such instances.