Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

B&W-tech Spectrometer & 473 module: Setup+Mods+Info

Hi Chloderic,

Whenever you get time, would you mind doing a coefficient query command (?C) on one of your units and post the result?
I can't seem to set the coefficients on my stock unit. It accepts the command, but noting changes when I check the results.
There are other things as well that don't behave as stated in the manual.
For instance, the integration time can't be set below 50 ms on my stock unit.
Hi, in the posting #404 here .... this was a response in ascii ... is it this what you are searching for ? But it is no problem to do it again with one of the not modified units ....

Hi, in the posting #404 here .... this was a response in ascii ... is it this what you are searching for ? But it is no problem to do it again with one of the not modified units ....

No need. That answered my question. Thanks.
I can either make the new PCB behave as in the manual, or
like it actually is. Maybe I'll just store 32-bit floats.

There's been a bit of a hiatus from the spectrometer controller project as I've been busy with other things and was also on vacation with friends and family. There isn't much left to do.

Hope it works out for you. Many here had issues with these spectrometers that made it difficult to continue with them.

Hi Every one !
I think that one member of the firum has wrote a code to run the B&W Tek refurbished spectrometer.
Can you please, help me to find the link ?
Cheers
C

jnrpop

Hi Every one !
I think that one member of the firum has wrote a code to run the B&W Tek refurbished spectrometer.
Can you please, help me to find the link ?
Cheers
C

This thread has a mountain of information, and results from experiments by a handful of skilled members here. A thorough read could prove beneficial.

Tip: Moscs software was great, much better than the software that was sent with these B&W Spec units. For me the best results came from using the Spectrum Studio software. Then a member here, Chloderic calibrated my unit, which required writing code to the unit. My unit is still yeilding amazingly accurate results, with 532nm DPSS lasers measuring in at 532.14nm which is spot on. The range on my unit was successfully lengthed by removing the Filter optic which sits in the output couple. Again, you will find all this info and more reading this thread :)

I know....but its 54 pages long ;)

J

I wasnt following this thread anymore. I just noticed it.

The link to the latest v1.5 is still working. But the Link to the full install version is not.

The stand alone exe file might be usable. It should create a new config file when you run it. If its not usable I can find the full install and upload it again.

After I wrote my own software the "Lock" on Spectrum Studio was removed so it can be used on Spectro's not supplied by them.

I wasnt following this thread anymore. I just noticed it.

The link to the latest v1.5 is still working. But the Link to the full install version is not.

The stand alone exe file might be usable. It should create a new config file when you run it. If its not usable I can find the full install and upload it again.

After I wrote my own software the "Lock" on Spectrum Studio was removed so it can be used on Spectro's not supplied by them.
Thanks! :)

ArsenioDev

Alrighty everyone, I've been lurking here for a while and after a sad sad happening where when I powered up my spectrometer it goes through the red and green on at the same time to solid red regardless of what I do and all my Prolific adapters are BORKED I'm stumped. Is the red light it telling me that it's dead?
If so, I'm probably going to take a page out of Richard A's book and make a custom PCB for it based around some Analog Devices ADCs and a STM32F411 with a nice USB type C and 12v power support and then open source the boards. Problem is I am ABYSMAL at writing software, but I'd like to get it to work somehow with existing computer based software.

Alrighty everyone, I've been lurking here for a while and after a sad sad happening where when I powered up my spectrometer it goes through the red and green on at the same time to solid red regardless of what I do and all my Prolific adapters are BORKED I'm stumped. Is the red light it telling me that it's dead?
If so, I'm probably going to take a page out of Richard A's book and make a custom PCB for it based around some Analog Devices ADCs and a STM32F411 with a nice USB type C and 12v power support and then open source the boards. Problem is I am ABYSMAL at writing software, but I'd like to get it to work somehow with existing computer based software.
Hello everybody,

after I have been struggling with my spine for more than a year and now recovering physically after an operation,
I would like to try to take part in this community again from time to time.

Yesterday I received an email about this post and will therefore start with it.

In all my spectrometers, the LED is always red after the self-test and thus indicates readiness, so a red LED is not an indication of a defective module, on the contrary ...

Did you ever have access to the spectrometer before?
What does the self-test say?

Every now and then the module gets stuck, which could be remedied with a reset or use with other software when the self-test indicated a pass OK.

greeting

Bernd

mar753

Hello,
I just saw that page Science-Surplus page 'spectrometer-resources' section is dead, anyone knows from where can I download these resources: Spectrum Studio 1.3 and AlignmentInstructions.pdf or maybe you could share them here?

Thank you

Dear all,
Does any one have the PDF of about the manual adjustment and fine-tuning of the spectrometer?
the official website of Science-Surplus is off now :(
Thank you for the help.
C

Here is a link:

Here's his BW page

If that doesn't do it, respond here and I have Mosc's full software distribution and Spectrum Studio..

I Have eight of the spectrometers at home and installed quite a few at my former employer.

Try wayback machine for the modification instructions.

So to set Studio up, I believe Cal Coefficients have to be 0,0,1,0 to activate the calibration mode if your unit's internal cal file does not pop up. Expect the coefficients to be crazy numbers with exponents when done, and the process takes a few trials.. 0,0,1,0 switches the readout to pixels for making the file. Enter the pixel number carefully.

You can then calculate using the internal method or by using Excel, after downloading a Least Squares Fitting plugin for Excel and following instructions published by Ocean Optics or BW-TEK.

https://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/ASD/lines_form.html has the data base for netural lines based on spectral source.

Modding involving changing the grating requires a precison fixture to hold the new grating while the glue dries in say 3-4 axis space if done inside the unit. You can do it outside the unit but you need to practice, practice, practice before gluing.

Followed by adjusting the positioning screws for a very precise graph on the software. Remember to unscrew the fiber SMA and carefully remove the yellow 1st order glass filter if it is not playing well with your new grating. Keep it, just in case you need it.

The fellows in Florida and France who bought the remaining units from the UTAH seller part them out on Ebay, you can get a spare grating mount for a song. That is the way to go, rather then popping off a good, realignable grating.

Steve

Thanks for this Steve. I haven't done a full setup of one of my spectrometers in awhile and this brought it all back. ;)