Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

B&W-tech Spectrometer & 473 module: Setup+Mods+Info

I have been watching, chloderic. I hope this new addition to the focus mirror works out for you. Alignment of the optical bench can be a major PITA. It seems every time you change one thing, you have to change several others to compensate for it. You can spend days trying to remove an astigmatism at times getting better while at others getting worse. Good luck.

Last edited:

I have been watching, chloderic. I hope this new addition to the focus mirror works out for you. Alignment of the optical bench can be a major PITA. It seems every time you change one thing, you have to change several others to compensate for it. You can spend days trying to remove an astigmatism at times getting better while at others getting worse. Good luck.

Yes Paul, so it is , you are right.
I am doing this not to create a device to use.
I had some spareparts of defective devices and want to learn a ĺittle bit by doing ...
This here can not become a superdevice , it is outside of my possibilities to produce accurate parts in that small dimensions.
It is only to play a little bit around ......
Let us see, if we can grab some informations , maybe for other projects .

I have some of these units. I look at the quality of the whole thing I am starting to really want the complete unit with the housing. Are there any of them floating around? I have researched those units and it seems that there are many new generation of this unit and I would love to find one of these complete units reasonably priced. Anyone know? thanks

kecked

just buy the surplus raman thing on ebay. 50.00 can't get cheaper.

just buy the surplus raman thing on ebay. 50.00 can't get cheaper.

I did I got 4 all together and will order a few more. But I want one complete with the housing and not salvaged. There is like 3 or 4 generations from this model and would like one complete. Just to have. It is so sad to see how well made these units are and they come ravaged. I am grateful for the 473 lasers and can dink with them. but I would love to have a complete unit as well to compliment my laser collection. I want complete units on any medical laser device. Just me sorry.

I have some of these units. I look at the quality of the whole thing I am starting to really want the complete unit with the housing. Are there any of them floating around? I have researched those units and it seems that there are many new generation of this unit and I would love to find one of these complete units reasonably priced. Anyone know? thanks

If you want a complete unit with laser and drivers, I have not looked for one in quite awhile now. I don't know if anyone is even selling these any longer. But, if you look at the past seller of these units you might be able to message him through eBay and make some kind of deal. Good luck to you.

If you want a complete unit with laser and drivers, I have not looked for one in quite awhile now. I don't know if anyone is even selling these any longer. But, if you look at the past seller of these units you might be able to message him through eBay and make some kind of deal. Good luck to you.

Yes I got two the other day from the guy. I need to call him and see if he has a complete working unit. Not that I will use it just would love to have it as a collector unit.
Anyone know how to safely raise the pump diode current. There are four trim pots and want to increase just a tiny bit Thanks again …

UPDATE.... I tried another head and it's not the power supply The one head is bad well puts out a little light. I don't know what the next step is. Is it a pump diode? or is it the crystals.. I may try to mess with the inside I don't know that pump diode is almost a watt isn't it?

Last edited:
No need to apologize. I have many lasers in my collection others might not want as much as I do. I can see the utility in having one complete and unspoiled.

The next modified component is the collimator mirror.
This is a challenge especially due to the small dimensions and the small space available.
In the optimal case, this mirror should be set in such a way that the beam path coming from the slit after the reflection on this mirror is as parallel as possible.
At the same time, the direction of reflection must be correct, so the adjustment must be both forward / backward, and therefore also rotational.
Since the mounting hole on the base of the part is not a hole but a groove, there must be for all the planned directions of movement a form-fitting solution , and then in these small dimensions of about 1 cm x 1 cm.
For this I have milled a rotary holder out of PP, there i used a ball joint as a receptacle for 2mm ball heads.
The threads pass through the spectrometer housing wall and at the end of the thread I fixed a M2 nut with screw lock.
Now this optic component can be adjused with the housing closed in all directions.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    402 KB · Views: 19
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 19
Don't know if you were aware of this, but the collimating mirror is usually concave. This helps greatly in alignment over a flat mirror.

Don't know if you were aware of this, but the collimating mirror is usually concave. This helps greatly in alignment over a flat mirror.

Yes, this mirror is concave, and you have to move it back or forewards to place the slit in the focus to create a paralell outcoming beam in to the direction of the grating.

like in other devices ... see att.

Attachments

• images.png
    images.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Yes, I am aware how this mirror works. Was making sure that you did too. What I was concerned about, is if you got the alignment off in the right/left or top/bottom direction. That would add an additional element of complexity to your overall alignment of the optical bench.