Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

B&W-tech Spectrometer & 473 module: Setup+Mods+Info

Re: B&Wtech 473nm unit / Spectrometer Mods & Info

Yes, I have three. And they all do the same thing. As soon as I click on connect the integration time disappears. On every com port I use.

Yep, It clears the Integration time display when it starts to connect. It will fill it in when it gets the reply from the Spectro. For some reason it's not communicating with the Spectrometer.

When you click connect is there anything displayed in the box on the bottom left of the screen ?

Just to prove my spectrometer and computer are working, I brought up the "Simple Spectro" and it was working as well as it always did. Then I went back to your software, and this time it worked. Who the hell knows why this started it working, but it did. I am gathering up as many lines as I can to do my calibration. It will continue into tomorrow as I have three now and need five more. 632.8nm is at pixel number 1965, 532nm is at 949 and my 477nm that I measured with my Ocean Optics was at 557, but I don't plan on using that one. I have to get one of these 473nm ones running tomorrow and then pull out my argon. Then a few more and I should have a good calibration.

At that point, how do I put the wavelength back in the X axis? I know I will want that as it is how every other spectro software works and makes finding the approximate WL easy.

Last edited:

Just to prove my spectrometer and computer are working, I brought up the "Simple Spectro" and it was working as well as it always did. Then I went back to your software, and this time it worked. Who the hell knows why this started it working, but it did. I am gathering up as many lines as I can to do my calibration. It will continue into tomorrow as I have three now and need five more. 632.8nm is at pixel number 1965, 532nm is at 949 and my 477nm that I measured with my Ocean Optics was at 557, but I don't plan on using that one. I have to get one of these 473nm ones running tomorrow and then pull out my argon. Then a few more and I should have a good calibration.

At that point, how do I put the wavelength back in the X axis? I know I will want that as it is how every other spectro software works and makes finding the approximate WL easy.

That is strange. Mscomm32 is very old. Maybe the driver with simple spectrometer kicked it into action. Who knows.

I have not added wavelength to the X axis yet. To be honest you don't get accurate readings looking at the X axis scale.

The way it works ATM is when you move the mouse pointer onto the graph is shows pixel # and wavelength in the boxes below the graph. If you do want an accurate reading you need the zoom function. Zoom is x20 magnification.

I can add wavelength to the X axis but using that is only approx. Not all pixels are shown on the screen. And on a monitor they are very small. Zoom will give you accuracy to 1 pixel which is approx 0.1 nm.

When I get time I will calibrate mine using 6 lines from the Argon and a HeNe. Should be pretty accurate.

All OEM software as well as the Science Supply one uses wavelength along the X axis. Having a zoom function is necessary as all OEM ones have many ways to zoom in and out as well as many modes of spectroscopy that might come up using a spectrometer. I would like it better if the spectrum wasn't filled in with green. My Ocean Optics OEM doesn't do that and it is great spectrometer software. Just not compatible with these units.

I can add the Wavelength scale to the graphs. I can also add a tickbox if you would like to have an unfilled line graph. I am not using any Graph plugins. I am drawing the Graphs with simple lines in VB.

Not using any other spectrum software I dont know how they work. To me this software is just for us amatures here who have bought one of the B&W Tek units. I assumed all we need it for is checking the wavelength of our lasers.

I got home tonight and had the same problem you had. Last night I changed the startup code for the spectro. It was only working until the Spectro was powered off. Then it wont start up again after power on. Running the simple Spectro like you did sent a reset to the Spectro and allowed it to start up.

I need to figure out what I have done. I will fix it when I work it out. Its to do with a Reset command when the Spectro is powered on.

Bit of a rush tonight. I have to start work early tomorrow so I didn't do all I wanted to it. That problem starting up the Spectro from power on set me back. I think it's fixed. But not certain.

Anyway, I have snazzed up the graph somewhat. Instead of the boring Green color that filled in the graph it now shows the color of the wavelength being displayed. Both the main graph and zoomed graph.

I have also added Wavelength to the Zoomed Graph. I will do the main graph tomorrow night. I just noticed the spacing on the wavelength scale get out if there is no decimal point. I will fix that.

Download Latest exe file

Sample pics

Attachments

• SPEC1.jpg
    SPEC1.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 60
  • SPEC2.jpg
    SPEC2.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

diachi

Never got a chance to test it out last night, went for dinner then I was working on my driver project. Hopefully I'll have time tonight after I figure out the issue I'm having with the driver (guessing the Op-amp is clipping and as a result can't drive the MOSFET gate pin high enough).

Looks like some good updates! :)

Never got a chance to test it out last night, went for dinner then I was working on my driver project. Hopefully I'll have time tonight after I figure out the issue I'm having with the driver (guessing the Op-amp is clipping and as a result can't drive the MOSFET gate pin high enough).

Looks like some good updates! :)

Np. When you get time. I don't do much programing these days and i do enjoy it. I will keep fiddling with it for a while. This spectro does have a narrow bandwidth of about 200 nm but it does look very accurate when calibrated correctly. Potentialy accurate to 0.1 nm. It will depend how much it drifts with temperature.

When i have played with Mosfets its always been on a 12v supply so no issues driving them. I guess you are using a low voltage. Nasty things will be happening if its not driven correctly.

diachi

Np. When you get time. I don't do much programing these days and i do enjoy it. I will keep fiddling with it for a while. This spectro does have a narrow bandwidth of about 200 nm but it does look very accurate when calibrated correctly. Potentialy accurate to 0.1 nm. It will depend how much it drifts with temperature.

When i have played with Mosfets its always been on a 12v supply so no issues driving them. I guess you are using a low voltage. Nasty things will be happening if its not driven correctly.

Seems reasonably accurate after I calibrated, I'll need to find something with more lines to calibrate more accurately with. (Anyone want to lend me their Ar/Kr?) :D

Building a constant current driver, just put together a quick test last night. At 5V Vin with test load voltage drop of ~1.5V I can only get up to ~800mA. If I increase Vin to 7V I can go all the way up to 5A (power supply limit), but then the drop across the MOSFET is larger than I'd like (~3.9V@5A) due to the larger input voltage.

I figure that seeing as I'm powering the Op-amp off of the same supply that it's just not able to get Vgs high enough with 5V Vin. Going to try running the Op-amp at 12V with the load at 5V tonight.

Last edited:

Since I have several of these spectrometers, my thought is to have three of four to cover from 350nm to 1100nm in 0.1nm increments. My concern is the calibration values are stored in the software instead of the spectrometer. This would make my idea unusable with this software, unless I'm wrong and these values are stored in the spectro. It will necessitate the need for software that can read from 350nm to 1100 nm. If this could be done, it would be the same as having a CCD about 10 inches long and increments of 0.1nm all the way through its measurable spectrum. How cool would that be? In the end it might be necessary to get the OEM software.

Since I have several of these spectrometers, my thought is to have three of four to cover from 350nm to 1100nm in 0.1nm increments. My concern is the calibration values are stored in the software instead of the spectrometer. This would make my idea unusable with this software, unless I'm wrong and these values are stored in the spectro. It will necessitate the need for software that can read from 350nm to 1100 nm. If this could be done, it would be the same as having a CCD about 10 inches long and increments of 0.1nm all the way through its measurable spectrum. How cool would that be? In the end it might be necessary to get the OEM software.

I have ordered a second one for the same reason you just mentioned. I am not worried about IR so two will do me. A 400 nm Bandwidth will do for me. Re aligning the mirror for a different range should be ok.

What I was thinking of doing was having more than one set of calibration values in the program. Then you can select the correct set of values for the Spectro you are using. I can even automate it based on the Spectro's serial number. The serial # can be read out of it.

PS, This software can read from ANY value to ANY value. The scale is defined by the Calibration values.

I don't see how the OEM software will do what you want. The Calibration is done in software no matter which software you use. The limited bandwidth of 200 nm is not a software limit. That is the hardware limit of the spectro related to the Grating used in it.

The calibration for my USB2000 is stored on the EEPROM in the spectrometer. The software reads it when you connect to the OEM software. Yes, the calibration is done with the software, but it is stored in the spectrometer. I never said or even thought that the bandwidth was a software problem. That is ridiculous. I haven't seen a schematic of these spectro's so I can only assume that it has an EEPROM and the calibration could be store there as it is on all Ocean Optics spectrometers.

Also, you will need to change the grating to change the spectrum and then will have to align the rest of the optical bench. This may or may not include the collimation mirror.

Last edited:

The calibration for my USB2000 is stored on the EEPROM in the spectrometer. The software reads it when you connect to the OEM software. Yes, the calibration is done with the software, but it is stored in the spectrometer. I never said or even thought that the bandwidth was a software problem. That is ridiculous. I haven't seen a schematic of these spectro's so I can only assume that it has an EEPROM and the calibration could be store there as it is on all Ocean Optics spectrometers.

Also, you will need to change the grating to change the spectrum and then will have to align the rest of the optical bench. This may or may not include the collimation mirror.

These may have an Eeprom. But there is no documentation about it. Linking the Serial number to Calibration data stored in the Software will give the same effect as storing it in the Spectrometer. It will be autmaticaly changed depending which Spectrometer you are using.

I only need to change the Grating if I want to change the Bandwidth.

I only want to shift the bandwidth. Which only needs the focus mirror moving slightly left or right to move were on the CCD the light falls.

The full bandwidth is actualy there. But it's to large to fit on the CCD.

Last edited:

For example, when I bring up the Ocean Optics software it is blank. The first thing you do when you connect the spectrometer is select "scan my device". The the spectrometer comes up and the grating, slit and bandwidth are displayed and you then select the type of spectrum you want to take. If it is transmittance, the wavelength range is then displayed on the X axis. Choose a different spectrometer and you get all different results. That is how OEM software works.

Once you shift the grating I think you will find the alignment of the focusing mirror will be much more involved than you think it is. You will have to go back and forth between the grating and the focusing mirror to get the astigmatism corrected and a good focus on the CCD.

Last edited: