Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

B&W-tech Spectrometer & 473 module: Setup+Mods+Info

Re: B&Wtech 473nm unit / Spectrometer Mods & Info

Yes, you should have the following:

Setup.exe
SETUP.LST
Spectro.cab
As well as a folder called "Support"

You should be able to run setup.exe just fine... That'll start the installer.

FINALLY! Success! Thank you for your help diachi. IT is not my area of expertise. :eek:

Yes, I downloaded it. Then diachi said to extract it when I wasn't able to get anything more going. That did me no good. I have it in my downloads now, but if I try to run it, I get nothing.

Can you try running setup as administrator.

FINALLY! Success! Thank you for your help diachi. IT is not my area of expertise. :eek:

That is great to hear. Older software like VB6 can be tricky sometimes. But I have found it usually runs on any version of Windows.

I managed to get the Compressed Binary data mode working. I have now increased the scan time to 2 frames per second. I also added a Single frame button so you can capture just one frame. There is a bug in the spectrometers firmware with the returned value for Integration time when it's switched into Binary data mode. Setting the Integration time does work but the reply when asking current integration time gets corrupted when its not on default. No real problems.

A few other minor changes.

Download version 1.0 of Spectrometer firmware

diachi

I managed to get the Compressed Binary data mode working. I have now increased the scan time to 2 frames per second. I also added a Single frame button so you can capture just one frame. There is a bug in the spectrometers firmware with the returned value for Integration time when it's switched into Binary data mode. Setting the Integration time does work but the reply when asking current integration time gets corrupted when its not on default. No real problems.

A few other minor changes.

Download version 1.0 of Spectrometer firmware

I'll get back to you later on the couple error messages I had, don't have it in front of me to test and didn't bother to note them last night.

Is there any way you could add a button that marks the X axis coordinate of a peak on the graph? Or perhaps some way to zoom in on the graph to find that peak? Getting my mouse pointer directly on the peak is a bit of a pain. :D

I'll get back to you later on the couple error messages I had, don't have it in front of me to test and didn't bother to note them last night.

Is there any way you could add a button that marks the X axis coordinate of a peak on the graph? Or perhaps some way to zoom in on the graph to find that peak? Getting my mouse pointer directly on the peak is a bit of a pain. :D

I have been thinking about a better way to find the peaks to give better accuracy. A zoom function is one way. Maybe I can also add a button to locate the peaks automatically. I will think about how to do it.

The Bug you had with it crashing when on Max signal maybe fixed. When I started using Binary mode I had an overflow error when data was max.

diachi

I have been thinking about a better way to find the peaks to give better accuracy. A zoom function is one way. Maybe I can also add a button to locate the peaks automatically. I will think about how to do it.

The Bug you had with it crashing when on Max signal maybe fixed. When I started using Binary mode I had an overflow error when data was max.

Cool! That'd be a nice feature. Thanks for spending your time on this!

Sounds like the bug I encountered, will try and replicate with the new version and let you know.

I have been busy up 'til now. I need to calibrate using the software I got running last night. Once I have that done I'll post what the bandwidth is on one of mine. It won't be soon, as I have other things taking precedent.

Are you trying to say the distance between the slits is the same as the minimum wavelength that can be transmitted by the slits? That is not the correct relation. What exactly is the relation you're proposing between "d" and the readable span of the system? You're forgetting about the distance to the sensor and the collimating mirror and the focusing mirror. There is a lot more geometry at play than you think there is.

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it" so I'd rather not, but I will if you keep pressing the issue.

I was trying to find a maximum theoretical limit, not the practical limit (which has to be lower due to geometric constraints).

Did some research and it turns out that formula (and my conclusion) only apply when light is normally incident on the grating surface. Will edit my previous post. In the more general case the diffracted wavelength can be up to twice the distance between slits, so about 1111nm for a 1800 ln/mm grating. Of course the actual limit will be much lower.

Here's a detailed explanation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffraction_grating#Theory_of_operation

Here are some interesting simulations: https://terpconnect.umd.edu/~toh/models/DiffractionGrating.html

Last edited:

Some more time to play after work.

I have added a zoom function to the graph. It is now very easy to view individual pixels. Just Left Mouse Click on the main graph were you wish to zoom and a new Window appears. It shows 100 pixels. 50 Pixels either side of were you clicked.

Another small mod. Since this Spectro has about 10 pixels / nm with the default grating I have changed the Wavelength scaling to show one decimal point.

Only the exe file this time. Just download it and copy it over the old one.

Download Updated exe file

I am open to any suggestions about features or improvements you would like. Please report any bugs you find.

Attachments

• ZOOM.jpg
    ZOOM.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

diachi

Some more time to play after work.

I have added a zoom function to the graph. It is now very easy to view individual pixels. Just Left Mouse Click on the main graph were you wish to zoom and a new Window appears. It shows 100 pixels. 50 Pixels either side of were you clicked.

Another small mod. Since this Spectro has about 10 pixels / nm with the default grating I have changed the Wavelength scaling to show one decimal point.

Only the exe file this time. Just download it and copy it over the old one.

Download Updated exe file

I am open to any suggestions about features or improvements you would like. Please report any bugs you find.

Will give it a try later. Thanks for that! :D

Thanks, Mosc007. I, too, will try it later. I have to much going on right now.

I had some time to try to use the last software I finally got downloaded, but I can't read a spectrum with it. It shows the com port where the spectrometer is located and if I click on calibration it gives the four variables that Mosc007 put in. That is the extent of my functions now. With the original software I could at least read a wavelength if it fell inside the graph. Do I need to add something else to this to read something?

Last edited:

I had some time to try to use the last software I finally got downloaded, but I can't read a spectrum with it. It shows the com port where the spectrometer is located and if I click on calibration it gives the four variables that Mosc007 put in. That is the extent of my functions now. With the original software I could at least read a wavelength if it fell inside the graph. Do I need to add something else to this to read something?

A few steps to get it to read.

Click on the com port number.
Click connect.
Click start.

Hopefully you will have a graph showing.

Last edited:

A few steps to get it to read.

Click on the com port number.
Click connect.
Click start.

Hopufully you will have a graph showing.

I tried all those while I had it running and it didn't ever start. It's like it's missing a piece of the program. I will try it again, but as I remember, the start icon never really lit up properly.

Ok, so I click on the com port and connect icon lights, but when I click on it the integration time disappears and if I try to add some there, it won't take it.

Last edited:

I tried all those while I had it running and it didn't ever start. It's like it's missing a piece of the program. I will try it again, but as I remember, the start icon never really lit up properly.

Once you click Connect the Start Icon will only become enabled if it can communicate with the Spectrometer.

Do you have more than one com port on the PC ?