Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

B&W-tech Spectrometer & 473 module: Setup+Mods+Info

Re: B&Wtech 473nm unit / Spectrometer Mods & Info

Can't find the thread on it but out of the half dozen I have been through, only 2 seemed to stay at 532nm. The rest were either a touch more limey or would transition when they got hot. This was before I knew that there were actually multi-line dpss lasers out there and I attributed the slight color shift to power output shifts.

What am I doing wrong? I tried moving it to downloads where the other files are located, but it won't do it. Is it because it is a zip file? It won't open by itself, so I must have to load it with the other two files.

diachi

What am I doing wrong? I tried moving it to downloads where the other files are located, but it won't do it. Is it because it is a zip file? It won't open by itself, so I must have to load it with the other two files.

Are you on Windows?

If so, right click the SPECTROMETER.zip and select "Extract All" then "Extract" at the bottom of that window. Should extract to a folder located in the same folder as the .zip. That'll contain the installer (setup.exe), run through that and you're done!

Yeah, I've got Windows 8.1. I know, but it works for me. My choices are "Open link in a new tab" Open link in new window" "Save link as..." "Copy link address" "Save link to Google drive" or "Inspect". I tried it in both Google chrome and Windows Internet Explorer. I get the same options.

diachi

Yeah, I've got Windows 8.1. I know, but it works for me. My choices are "Open link in a new tab" Open link in new window" "Save link as..." "Copy link address" "Save link to Google drive" or "Inspect". I tried it in both Google chrome and Windows Internet Explorer. I get the same options.

Whaa...? I thought you had it downloaded already?

Should just need to left click the link Mosc provided, which takes you to the dropbox page with a "Download" button, click that and then select "Direct download".

Yeah, that was the first thing I tried. I have the simple spectrometer software loaded, but this .zip file takes me nowhere. I was able to find an "extract files", but that doesn't help as it still won't load when done. Why does this always have to be a PITA for me?

It does run but it fails to find the Spectrometer.

I should mention, the device needs to be powered on and connected before the software is launched. That may fix the problem.

Maybe it only works with the modified Spectrometers sold by Science Surplus store.

As far as I'm aware, the modifications were all optical, plus adding a case. I'm no RS232 expert, but I don't see how/why that would be different.

Last edited:

Did you check for baffles in the optical bench on yours? They severely limited the bandwidth on mine, but after removal, seemed to be at least 300nm on mine. The only problems with changing the grating is the cost and it will have to be aligned. If you have never done it before don't think it will be as easy as the directions make it out to be. It could turn into the biggest nightmare of your life. I have done one myself and it was no picnic to say the least.

BTW, I tried downloading your software, but I haven't been able to get it yet. I may be missing something.

I have already removed the baffles. I can tell its only about 200 nm bandwidth from the pixel number for the 473. Its a low pixel number. And 650 was almost 2048 pixel number. I can imagine replacing the grating would require a lot of work to get it working correctly.

I can ask science surplus how much for the 900 grating.

Dont know whats wrong with your download. Its just a dtopbox link.

I'd be cautious using 532nm lasers as calibration sources unless they are high quality units.. I recall a thread somewhere about a lot of the eBay ones being multi-line or not even 532 but off by a few nm such as I believe 534 due to cheap coatings on the crystals.

I have seen the posts about cheap 532's.

I was not worried about accuracy with this calibration. Just testing the calibration method. It does work very well using the 3rd order polynomial approach.

I do have a ML Argon and HeNe to do an accurate calibration.

I should mention, the device needs to be powered on and connected before the software is launched. That may fix the problem.

As far as I'm aware, the modifications were all optical, plus adding a case. I'm no RS232 expert, but I don't see how/why that would be different.

It was powered up before running the software. It does try to connect. But something is not correct. I will have to monitor the serial port coms and try and see whats going wrong.

@Mosc007

I still haven't been able to download your software. I was hoping you might know what I need to do to get it up and running. IDK if it has something to do with the .zip files or not. I have the simple spectro up and running....such as it is. I've tried many different ways to get it loaded, but so far.....no luck.

@Mosc007

I still haven't been able to download your software. I was hoping you might know what I need to do to get it up and running. IDK if it has something to do with the .zip files or not. I have the simple spectro up and running....such as it is. I've tried many different ways to get it loaded, but so far.....no luck.

Have you been able to download the Zip file ?

When I tested the install I didn't need to extract the archive. I just ran the setup.exe from inside the Zip file.

Yes, I downloaded it. Then diachi said to extract it when I wasn't able to get anything more going. That did me no good. I have it in my downloads now, but if I try to run it, I get nothing.

diachi

Yes, I downloaded it. Then diachi said to extract it when I wasn't able to get anything more going. That did me no good. I have it in my downloads now, but if I try to run it, I get nothing.

Can you get it extracted?

I got mine sort of calibrated, may be a little out, may be trying to get the mouse pointer directly on the peaks on the graph, but it's way better than it was. The range is not at all wide though.

Calibration sources: 473nm DPSS, 488nm Argon, 532nm DPSS (compared two sources) and 633nm HeNe.

HeNe spectra:

E9n4Tlx.png

Seems fairly close to me, when compared with actual HeNe spectral lines. Some aren't entirely accurate, but it's much better than it was.

532nm and 633nm - both reading as expected:

Fc07Rvh.png

Lowest and highest wavelengths I've tested tonight are ~445nm and 650nm - the range doesn't seem to extend that far. Neither could be detected.

Interestingly, I tested my "520nm" pointer and it measured ~513nm. Then I tested my "515nm" pointer and it measured ~520nm. Those numbers seem accurate just comparing against what the colours actually look like to me.

Last edited:

Yes, when I extracted it it was more files than just the one. I tried running that.....nothing. I wish I had something I could calibrate one of these to. I'd like to see for myself how narrow the bandwidth is.

BTW, where is the 473nm peak? It should at least have that one. And where is 488nm? I see 500nm as the lowest peak you pointed out.

Last edited:

diachi

Yes, when I extracted it it was more files than just the one. I tried running that.....nothing. I wish I had something I could calibrate one of these to. I'd like to see for myself how narrow the bandwidth is.

Yes, you should have the following:

Setup.exe
SETUP.LST
Spectro.cab
As well as a folder called "Support"

You should be able to run setup.exe just fine... That'll start the installer.