Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

ATI vs Nvidia

Nvidia or ATI?

• Nvidia!

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • ATI (Radeon)!

Votes: 42 60.0%

• Total voters
Yea my dust buildup is just crazy. I have to blow out my case every two weeks.
It makes a big difference in temp. Don't forget the little fan on the GPU if you have one.

@kiyoukan
my computer has about 10 fans in it....but yet my temps are almost always above 100F.
Some cards simply run hot.
I have an Asus ATI Radeon HD4870

I honestly don't care about my computer temp as long as it never exceeds the maximum rating and it never does...even when OC. Also if my mobo senses that it is getting to hot, it will shut down automaticly.

@Moebius
Do you live on a farm? Having to blow out your computer due to dust every two weeks would drive me nuts. I can go almost 6 months with out having to blow out my system.

Last edited:
I would advise all of you hitting 100+ temps to please go get some compresses air and blow out your Card.

100+'f isn’t all that bad now 100'C is really bad : )
I have 4 140mm 140cfm fans in my case so it gets good air flow : )
The biggest problem I have is running 2x 5970 dual gpu cards they get toasty on their own let alone stacked side by side but I did make a nice spacer solution with a force fan blowing directly into it cut temps by 10'c

one thing that I do wish is that ati would let you set your own fan curves like msi after burner but I can’t use msi afterburner or I see a 20% loss in power : (

But yes it is good that you go blow out your pc every now and then : )
Newegg.com - ABS Canyon 695 4 x140mm Fan Multiple Heat Zones Aluminum Super Full Tower Computer Case
The best case I have ever owned : ) even comes with a dust filter :p

I am crazy when it comes to ocing and temps.
i have a dual core E86 3.33 ghz oced to 6.12 on a phase change cooling.
And i keep everything in my case as cold as i can get.
With fans you can never cool too much.
I have cards that i was told by the manufacturer that if i ran them the way i did in less than a year it would be fried and it has been 3.
But i use aftermarket coolers and i use my own thermal probes to plot my temps i never trust my board.
when i am rocking stuff over 500$ per piece i am a little protective of it. Fans are cheap but new cpus and gpus are not.

true but you can put the thermal probes in better and more effective places than what your board can monitor.
ie
hard drive
inside the psu
ram
Graphics card
north and south bridge.
it also allows me to test how my airflow is because i can set them just in the case and see how the air moves to better place my fans or hdd in the bays. i also love to use mineral oil and just add a drop of dye and see how it moves it around. and where it getting hung up.

my hd4870 runs hotter then my quadcore cpu.... i think its supposed to though as the fan speed is always below 5% (auto-adjust). ive got the antec 902 btw :D

i have a dual core E86 3.33 ghz oced to 6.12 on a phase change cooling.

I knew the E8600 was overclockable but 6.12GHz? :eek:
My E8400 is maxed out @ 4.2GHz with an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro.

It was done as a dick swinging thing, to have the best pc of my school. i beat every quad core there but some only by a fraction.
i oced to it, ran a 1 hour stress test then stopped. i had it stable but unless i am doing very heavy graphic rendering i keep my cpu around 4ghz.
There is no point to having that much cpu.
Even with gta4 cod 4 eve online internet team speak skype all running on my current setup i got to 79% cpu load and 3.87 of my 4 gigs ram.
There is just no need for more power being gamer, for 3d rendering and animation sure, but for that at my uni i got a whole room full of linked processor power over 200ghz for that.
Seed my files automatically and each machine renders them and assembles them onto one as a full movie. Even still with all that power i have had movies take 4 days to finish rendering.

ATI all the way!
Even though you will probly have to rip off the stock heat sink/fan and use a real heat sink/fan, and driver problems can be an issue for new cards.
And if you know how to volt mod, ATI cards are grate to buy cheep and OC.
Im using two ASUS HD4850's with crossfire and fear no game.

You dont even need to volt mod any more.
The new cards that have over drive you can mod the voltage in a secret file along with the clock speeds. I use it because when it does not always over drive when it should, so i set it to do that for some games, like red faction it wont activate it so i do it manually and with a good case and airflow i can keep the card at full load at 55c. not to bad but its a tad loud for my tastes.

You dont even need to volt mod any more.
The new cards that have over drive you can mod the voltage in a secret file along with the clock speeds. I use it because when it does not always over drive when it should, so i set it to do that for some games, like red faction it wont activate it so i do it manually and with a good case and airflow i can keep the card at full load at 55c. not to bad but its a tad loud for my tastes.
Scweet!
I gess im behind on the times. Im going to google that file, never thought thay would evin make a "secret file" or any kind of software/any ezzy volt mod.

Mine run about 50-55c allso, so ive got some room to mod(considering 55-60c is idle temps with stock fan/heat sink)

If your thinking of upgrading your fan/heat sink
Thermaltakeusa»Cooler»VGA Cooler»AMD/ATI»DuOrb : DuOrb CL-G0102
Best Dam thing you can ever get for ati cards! Imo

Those are nice but they wont work with the 4870x2 or any of the other dual gpu cards

For any one who has an ati card that has the over drive feature here is the hidden file
C:\Users\Kiyoukan\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles
C:\Users\(You user name)\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles
in there will be an xml file open it in word and you will see where your clock speeds are and the voltage. be careful with this, as always when ocing anything. small steps, but if you had the problem of the auto oc only kicking in some of your games then this will allow you to turn it on when ever you want. Make sure to make a normal profile with no modding then create a second one and call it power or something. When you need the extra power just go to the ccc control panel and turn it on.

mw1111

hell my e8400 would get to 4.42 but that was really pushing air cooling to the limits at the time. now it's an i5 750, at 4.1ghz.

i vote ATI, but own Nvidia. at the time of purchase, a gtx 260 for $145 was a massive steal, so i chose it over the 4870 i had been looking at. these new 5850's make me jealous though, i lag on BFBC2!