Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Assembly of a Micro-Drive (rkcstr driver) by ME!

rkcstr

I was bored today making a bunch of drivers, so I decided to take a movie of it, show everybody what goes into one, at least one portion of the proces, anyway. It's just me applying the solder paste and then placing the components, although this one was kind of sloppy because the camera stand had to be in the way to get a good view, so I wasn't able to stabilize my hands very well.

Anyway, here it is:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-95_fFuDGw[/media]

And, there's a free driver in it for anybody who has the software and would be willing to add some music, introduction, maybe some extra "scenes" and pics, etc!

Re: Assembly of a Micro-Drive (rkcstr driver) by M

I'll do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll post the link when i'm done.

rkcstr

Cool, well since I already have a taker, don't put much time into it because i'll probably retake the video and maybe take some movies of other parts and what not for you to "stitch" together... if that's cool with you?

rkcstr said:
Cool, well since I already have a taker, don't put much time into it because i'll probably retake the video and maybe take some movies of other parts and what not for you to "stitch" together... if that's cool with you?
Ok, but i was already kind of started... :-/

What if i upload this video, PM you the link, and then make another one, sort of like a part 2...

Edit: Nevermind, lets do what you said...

rkcstr

Spyderz20x6 said:
Ok, but i was already kind of started... :-/

What if i upload this video, PM you the link, and then make another one, sort of like a part 2...

Edit: Nevermind, lets do what you said...

Sorry! I didn't expect someone to jump up so quickly and get right to it, lol!

But, I'm not sure what kind of work this type of video editing takes... is it tough to just add in some background music? I don't care what, just some random techno song is fine with me. And how bout just an intro title like "Making of the Micro-Drive, by rkcstr, edited by [insert your desired name]"? Just to see what it would be like?

And if this does require a lot of work, I could possibly sweeten the deal ;)

Jules

I don't see the video. I get a cube with a question mark in it.

rkcstr

It's still processing... but it works for me when i press play :-?

Nice video, that video makes me appreciate your drivers even more. ;D Everything is so tiny with SMDs, I wish I could solder stuff that tiny!

Kenom

What an awesome idea with putting the solder paste inside a syringe. I have some of that stuff. got it from DX but I have to manually apply it with a dental tool. Kinda sucks. I'm SOOO doing this. Thanks for the tip.

rkcstr

Yeah, I used to apply solder paste from DX with a toothpick... that was really inefficient. So, I got some syringes with 23ga needles, cut the needle down to a short tip, filled it up with paste and viola!

I would suggest getting a larger tip, though, maybe 20ga instead of 23ga, as the tip clogs often and I have to take all the paste out, clean the tip and refill it again. Happens about daily or every other day.

Some more tips I have:

1. get GOOD solder paste. I now use AMTECH SynTECH solder paste, was about $40 for 250g from www.solderandmore.com , which will last a long time, and it keeps twice as long as regular paste (1yr cold vs 6mo for most). DX paste will clog tips like no other, so I'd avoid it unless you're a very patient person.

2. Keep the syringe with paste (and your extra paste) in the fridge when you're not using it, it tends to keep the paste from settling and clogging the tips as quickly.

3. I have yet to buy from them, but when I need new syringes and tips, I'm getting them from here:
http://www.smallparts.com/s?searchN...28182011|3180231&searchKeywords=blunt+needles

rkcstr

great video, when you gona start selling a boast driver for blu-ray diodes???

rkcstr

haha... you still remember that? I've mostly abandoned that project. They were simple little circuits, but they didn't regulate very well since it was a boost voltage regulator and required a resistor to "regulate", but the output would slowly increase as the diode warmed up and made it somewhat unpredictable.

Woop/airy52/toked323 were each working on a similar simple boost regulator that actually regulated current. I'm not sure any of them had plans for production, but you can ask them about it.

At the moment, I'm pretty busy with the drivers I currently offer, so I may not have the capacity (or money, or time) to design and build another type of driver.

shame :(

i would have brought a few off you if you did

Chad

Where'd you get that soldering paste? I just slapped one together yesterday, and DAMN it was hard to get those components to stay put... :p

You still want me to edit that video?