Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

ARGMeter Open Source - Coming Soon

ARG

Re: ARGLPM Open Source - Coming Soon

i currently have an old school kenometer, can i use the coherent head this?

I am unfamiliar with those heads, do you have a datasheet or model number?

Nice work ARG - I'd rep you again but can't +1:beer:

What will they be calibrated against?

Last edited:

Nice DIY LPM work ARG....:gj:

This may help your design...

We have found that taking the readings to on LCD
resolutions of 1/100 of a watt (0.00) that the fractional
part of the readings just jump around erratically and
never stabilize due to air currents... light changes...
body movements in front of the sensor.. not to mention
the inherent circuit generated noise and external electrical
noise.
That's why our LaserBee LPM readings are stable. We don't
think displaying the jittering values that are actually irrelevant
on the high powered Lasers we meter today is a good thing..

Even though you will not be making the single 9V battery dual
supply PCB will you share the dual supply circuit with the Forum
by making it Open Source like this project ??

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Last edited:

ARG

We have found that taking the readings to on LCD
resolutions of 1/100 of a watt (0.00) that the fractional
part of the readings just jump around erratically and
never stabilize due to air currents... light changes...
body movements in front of the sensor.. not to mention
the inherent circuit generated noise and external electrical
noise.
That's why our LaserBee LPM readings are stable. We don't
think displaying the jittering values that are actually irrelevant
on the high powered Lasers we meter today is a good thing..

Even though you will not be making the single 9V battery dual
supply PCB will you share the dual supply circuit with the Forum
by making it Open Source like this project ??

I haven't had that problem with the jitteriness, the LPM goes up in steps of 0.125mW. I could just make the resolution 1mW, but I find for testing the transmittance of optics it's useful to have the extra digit.
Since it's open source the user can always change it if they would prefer, or I can change it for them.

and yes, I will be releasing the dual supply circuit with the schematic. It's very low noise from what I can see at the moment, but I would like to scope it again to confirm my results before people hook up their Ophir heads.

What will they be calibrated against?

An Ophir LPM, I sent it to MarioMaster who has a Coherent Fieldmax to test it out and make sure it was still in spec and he said it was reading perfectly against his fieldmax.

Hi ARGLaser, I would definetly want to purchase an assembled unit if you could build one for me for a reasonable price.Once you have finished your project, please PM me with a price(if you want to sell a completely assembled unit) and I will make the purchase via Paypal. Please keep me in mind, thank you

ARG

Hi ARGLaser, I would definetly want to purchase an assembled unit if you could build one for me for a reasonable price.Once you have finished your project, please PM me with a price(if you want to sell a completely assembled unit) and I will make the purchase via Paypal. Please keep me in mind, thank you

Will do! If anyone else wants one for Ophir or anything else tell me, I'll start a list.

Trevor

Hm, I'd probably just make the resolution 0.1mW, because with the thermal mass of the TEC it should be pretty stable. It's only a slight increase over a resolution of of 0.125mW, and would give you a cleaner display.

Though I have seen LPM's with high-thermal-mass sensors that had usable 0.01mW readings, so they're not unheard of.

I bet this means we'll see an AVR-based LaserBee in the near future! :D

Trevor

You know I am in for one. I can't wait. What will the difference be between the TEC and the OPHIR as far as input to the LPM? In other words are they interchangeable or are there some adjustments and recalibration needed if one is changed out for the other?

ARG

You know I am in for one. I can't wait. What will the difference be between the TEC and the OPHIR as far as input to the LPM? In other words are they interchangeable or are there some adjustments and recalibration needed if one is changed out for the other?

Calibration is only needed with the TEC. The Ophirs are pre-calibrated to 1mV=1mW and as such don't need to have any amplification or calibration to the output.

Currently the Ophir boards and the TEC boards are separate, I'm working on a board that will have the capability to do both so that I only have to get one board fabricated.

Very nice. Sounds like you certainly are thinking it through.

Reactions: ARG

Hey Buddy Very nice LPM.:bowdown: You can put me down for one. I hope you can keep up with demand. +1 when I can.

Reactions: ARG

well if you get your testing done on the Ophir LPM and everything comes back safe i'm very interested, i love the idea of data logging, being able to run it all of a single 9v, as well as even having the Max mw, and it lookes like it wouldn't be that hard for me to make a box for it to go in. it also appers to have a backlite display.

ARG

Hey Buddy Very nice LPM.:bowdown: You can put me down for one. I hope you can keep up with demand. +1 when I can.
Will do! I put you on my list.

well if you get your testing done on the Ophir LPM and everything comes back safe i'm very interested, i love the idea of data logging, being able to run it all of a single 9v, as well as even having the Max mw, and it lookes like it wouldn't be that hard for me to make a box for it to go in. it also appers to have a backlite display.

Sounds good! It's very easy to put it in a box, it just takes a while to do it, and to get it right that's why I decided to ditch the box for the final design. I'll be offering the option of having some components left unsoldered (buttons, screen, TEC terminal) for those that want to mount theirs in a case.

The display is back lit and can be adjusted from 0-100% brightness with the up/down buttons.

The ETA on the Ophir boards is going to be a little longer than I expected, probably 5 weeks.

5 weeks would be OK with me as theres nothing wrong with the setup i've already got just like this option as an upgrade. also jerry had talked about this a while ago that in order to make sure the Ophir doesn't drain the battery's it needs to have a way of disconnectiong both the positive and negative to the Ophir (in my case a 3PST switch, 1 for display and 1 for power and negative) will this circuit have this in it? besides that i definitely understand about the box taking quite a bit of time to make it look good. it took me a day or two to cut all the holes and sand them till everything fits nice in tight for the box that my volt panel and everything reside in now. but for this setup I'd be willing to do it all over again. i would just have to figure something out for the button's so i could adjust screen brightness and zero it out.