Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Arctic not very powerful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, im not sure what the deal is, but my arctic is not powerful like the videos at all. You can see the beam great but it doesnt burn anything, with or without the standard lens on. Even a piece of paper from 6 inches away, can hold it there for a while and it doesnt burn it. Im thinking batteries... any ideas?

The Arctic is Underspec. It's not going to be hitting 1000mW very often, if at all.

Even with a full watt, your not going to be burning white paper unless you direct the beam onto the black text. The white on the paper reflects enough of the light to stop it from burning, but the black in k will absorb enough to create enough heat to burn.

Since June 20th and a 50mw Green Laser, also friend has a 200mw blu ray laser that we both share.

since this is your first class IV, my guess is you didn't really know what to expect. so you kinda over estimated its power and the 1 month + wait made it worse. it happens to me all the time. were you disappointed when you first saw 200mW of blu-ray?

Yeah we all talk high power here, but in the real world of lasers no pointer is a ray gun. It takes a lot of power to start slicing and dicing stuff. Considering it takes a CO2 20W laser just to cut balsa wood. Thats over 20X the Arctic power. A lot of people make this mistake.

Yeah we all talk high power here, but in the real world of lasers no pointer is a ray gun. It takes a lot of power to start slicing and dicing stuff. Considering it takes a CO2 20W laser just to cut balsa wood. Thats over 20X the Arctic power. A lot of people make this mistake.

Well said TJ. I tend to forget that myself from time to time

ahhhhhhhh goooood to know, thanks for the help guys, now that you mention it it burns through a black t shirt instantly, must be the reflective.. also the beam is sick, thats all i care about.. impressing people with that "holy fuck, what the fuck is that" response.

ahhhhhhhh goooood to know, thanks for the help guys, now that you mention it it burns through a black t shirt instantly, must be the reflective.. also the beam is sick, thats all i care about.. impressing people with that "holy fuck, what the fuck is that" response.

:crackup: I love scaring my neighbors like that. Yeah it burns up fabric like nothing else. To bad you can't focus it because I'm able to burn white paper when I focus it. Takes a few seconds to start.

Yeah, it's kind of sad really... we're being impressed by stuff like popping black balloons, Sharpied matches, electrical tape, etc. with magnifying-glassed beams.

Really, the most impressive part about having a laser like this is looking at the cool beam it makes.

The beams are the best part for me. The colors are mesmerizing. I have yet to pop a balloon, or burn a match LMAO. I did burn some flash paper for the kids, but once they see it, its not so cool the second time around.

I miss the days when popping a stupid balloon or lighting a match was impressive.

Now it seems people aren't happy when they can't start a fire.

Just get a magnifying glass for your Arctic, and I'm sure it will be a fine burner. :)

Tabish

Hahaha. Funny how when people read the news articles, they expect the Arctic to be a lightsaber. It's dangerous for eyes, yes, but don't expect it to cut anything as TJ pointed out.

IMHO Arctic is a piece-of-sh*t that's way underspec. Also, it cannot be focused, which is needed to "burn", although that's a good thing. Makes it safer...

Just enjoy the cool blue beam :p

WTF T.J.

You mean We can't wield these things around and slice the wings off Flies instantly....Man I Frigging wasted My money...Should of bought napalm thrower cause that would work.:gun:

Coherent:

jbtm

Wonder what my arctic is at...It's quiet a lot brighter than my DIY build set to 750mA. Wish I had a laser power meter!!! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.