Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Apple vs. Microsoft, an objective 'debate'...mostly objective

What OS(es) do you use and why?

• Mac for graphics

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Windows for graphics

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • Windows for server(s)

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Windows for games

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • Mac for general computing (shopping, movies, etc)

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Windows for general computing

Votes: 45 77.6%
  • Linux or UNIX for server(s)

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Linux or UNIX for general computing

Votes: 14 24.1%

• Total voters
5.)I've talked to quite a few people who have said that but couldn't think of anything that they've ever had driver issues with, what about you?
9.)Such as? Personally, i like GIMP and OOO more than photoshop and msoffice, but that's me.
5.) For starters Intel GMA 950
There aren't any good drivers for it.

9.) GIMP lacks in it's capabilities. Open office is ok, but it does have it's own flaws.

zaery

5.) For starters Intel GMA 950
There aren't any good drivers for it.

9.) GIMP lacks in it's capabilities. Open office is ok, but it does have it's own flaws.

Well, it depends on your definition of good drivers, there's drivers that work, but since the gma950 is an integrated video chipset, it was never meant to do anything fancy. Also, why should people make a high-quality driver when the current one works just fine for the task the part was designed to do?

9.)Meh, i don't use them in depth enough too notice the flaws.

Anyways, on topic: I'm truly a small company person, which leads to my opinion here:
Apple is a control freak.
Microsoft just keeps tripping on itself.

Well, it depends on your definition of good drivers, there's drivers that work, but since the gma950 is an integrated video chipset, it was never meant to do anything fancy. Also, why should people make a high-quality driver when the current one works just fine for the task the part was designed to do?

9.)Meh, i don't use them in depth enough too notice the flaws.

Anyways, on topic: I'm truly a small company person, which leads to my opinion here:
Apple is a control freak.
Microsoft just keeps tripping on itself.

1.) the GMA 950 can easily get a rating of better than 3.0 on vista. It really isn't that bad of an integrated chip. The simple truth is...the driver that Ubuntu uses for the GMA 950 will not accelerate the graphics. If you try to turn on any of the graphic features in ubuntu, the OS will crash. (Like I said...bad drivers)

zaery

1.) the GMA 950 can easily get a rating of better than 3.0 on vista. It really isn't that bad of an integrated chip. The simple truth is...the driver that Ubuntu uses for the GMA 950 will not accelerate the graphics. If you try to turn on any of the graphic features in ubuntu, the OS will crash. (Like I said...bad drivers)

Incorrect. There was like, one kernel that had issues with the GMA950. IIRC, that was used in Ubuntu 8.04, that the last time you tried it perchance?

Also, things in the Open Source community get fixed quite quickly with pieces of hardware that are common, such as the gma950.

Incorrect. There was like, one kernel that had issues with the GMA950. IIRC, that was used in Ubuntu 8.04, that the last time you tried it perchance?

Also, things in the Open Source community get fixed quite quickly with pieces of hardware that are common, such as the gma950.

About 1 month ago...with Ubuntu 9.10.
I build computers all the time. This isn't something new to me. LOL :)

zaery

About 1 month ago...with Ubuntu 9.10.
I build computers all the time. This isn't something new to me. LOL :)

I actually tried it yesterday, i was building a custom notebook for my dad. It happens to do the special effects just fine, not as good as a computer with a dedicated card, but the default effects were fine.

You might want to look into it more, it's probably just a bad chip.

Vadim

The fact is there is no one on this forum, or that I know of that can say Linux is better or worse then any other operating system. Simply because there are thousands of different builds to suet every use imaginable and if you have the know how you can compile your own. I use windows for gaming, and at the moment for day to day operations, but I usually use Suse. I have a copy of BackTrack for network security testing (read legal hacking) and a custom version of Ubuntu live when on a customer's computer. Suse is bloated but after turning off the fancy graphics and setting up security properly it works nicely. I also have a text only version of red hat as a software firewall and router.
I've never used a mac but have run panther under a vm I liked the software but didn't find any rezone to replace Suse.

Reactions: ARG
I would like to point out that in a corporate environment, both linux and unix are great. I use linux on several of our servers here, two NAS systems and a backup server. I love it. Those three servers are the most trouble free in our facility, and the OS is free and will run on practically anything. That's IMMENSELY valuable to anyone in IT.

Not going to lie, I've never even used linux/unix...

You work in a corporate place then?

Yup. I'm a senior IT for a local children's hospital.. and a huge supporter of linux. The fact that there is a free OS that boasts the stability of Unix (no small feature, as can be seen with Windows) and has decent (not awesome, but still quite good) bundled software is incredible as far as I'm concerned and as time progresses it will only get better. Compared to 5 years ago, most Linux distros are ten times more useful today. Also, linux and MacOS share the same roots, hence the reason for MacOS's stability and simplicity. Actually, IMO Linux is even better than MacOS because the kernel runs with extreme stability on any kind of computer you can imagine, whereas MacOS is limited to very specific hardware combinations. Granted that MacOS comes with a bunch of very nice software apps, and offers still more through Apple and other vendors, but the limitation of hardware I find to be a limiting factor when compared to Linux. While Windows is quite good and still commands the lion's share of the market, in terms of "set it and forget it" it's at the bottom of the barrel. I regularly have to perform maintenance on our Windows servers, but I can't really remember the last time i even logged in to our Linux/Unix servers. They've all been up for months without any maintenance or repairs.

Last edited: