Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Apparently most lasers don't have polarity protection *SOLVED*

Re: Apparently th Sci-Fi Lasers 501B doesn't have polarity protection

Well if its such a heartbreakingly difficult thing to put polarity protection into a driver, then clearly someone was an idiot at some point when they first designed diode drivers, or people now arent trying hard enough.

Honestly, the more learn about and experience diode lasers, the more I feel like they are inherintly flawed and just a general pain to work with. They need so many things to be perfect with little margin for error just to spit out a bit of coherent light.

I feel like you are just desperately trying to grasp at straws here by blaming everyone but yourself.

Putting a battery in the right way
is
not
difficult

If anything you should be profusely thanking thejoker for covering your silly mistake. If you think drivers MUST have [x] and MUST have [y] then design one yourself.

Also, if you think diode lasers "so many things to be perfect to spit out a little bit of coherent light", do some reasearch on these things called "solid state lasers", and "gas lasers" then get back to us and ill give you some more to look up. Diode lasers are incredibly simple as far as lasers go. Give it a set current, and boom. Again, you are kinda graspin here.

Last edited:

It is difficult when there isnt a single marking on the laser to indicate which way they go. Not a single thing.

And he isnt "covering me". It'll be 50$ to repair plus whatever horrible shipping canada post would charge me. Im rather tired of sinking money into stupid diode lasers.

And I can't jam a plug in backwards because they made one of the prongs bigger than the other. Polarity protection at its most basic level. Brilliant isnt it.

Last edited:

Go re read my post, I edited it right as you posted.

I give up. Someone should just delete this thread and I'll just toss my lasers in a microwave. Its really much easier than trying to point out a glaring design flaw.

rhd

Honestly, the more learn about and experience diode lasers, the more I feel like they are inherintly flawed and just a general pain to work with. They need so many things to be perfect with little margin for error just to spit out a bit of coherent light.

That's how I feel about glass. It's so prone to breaking if you drop it, kick it, or put it in the clothes dryer instead of the dish washer. Every cup should be made out of plastic. Any cup made out of glass is flawed, and should be redesigned to be made out of plastic instead. If a waiter ever hands me a glass cup, without warning me that it's breakable, that's their bad. I'll smash the cup, and as far as I'm concerned, it's the waiter's fault. What a @#$@ING idiot waiter, why the #$%@ isn't that cup made out of plastic ???

Rifter

Thats the whole point, wouldnt be as much fun if it was easy :)

That's how I feel about glass. It's so prone to breaking if you drop it, kick it, or put it in the clothes dryer instead of the dish washer. Every cup should be made out of plastic. Any cup made out of glass is flawed, and should be redesigned to be made out of plastic instead. If a waiter ever hands me a glass cup, without warning me that it's breakable, that's their bad. I'll smash the cup, and as far as I'm concerned, it's the waiter's fault. What a @#$@ING idiot waiter, why the #$%@ isn't that cup made out of plastic ???

Would you just fuck off already? If you aren't going to do anything but mock me and be a condescending asshole about everything I say, then just go piss off somewhere else.

IMHO you should just move on, take your free repair, and learn from your mistake. Venting about it is not the way to go about making a change.

ALSO, In My Honest Opinion, this isn't about some movement to incorporate reverse polarity protection into all lasers, for the good of all lasers, but merely a cover to mask your own hastiness to shove the batteries in and lase away.

You could have admitted your mistake, and we would all have respected that, really. But when people tell you it was easy to avoid, by firing back you are not doing yourself a favor, and showing people your unwillingness to admit to fault.

I KNOW HOW THIS LOOKS FROM YOUR PERSPECTIVE

but from ours, at this point, its a futile thread with the only thing coming out at this point being bitching, and not just from you. No-one likes that.

TBH, the only person who really lost something here is TheJoker.
You broke your laser
He fixed it
you should be happy
he should be sad

Normally, it wouldnt work out that way. You got lucky, so be happy

and don't make the same mistake again...

Last edited:
Reactions: rhd

rhd

Would you just fuck off already? If you aren't going to do anything but mock me and be a condescending asshole about everything I say, then just go piss off somewhere else.

I'm not mocking you, I'm just pointing out when you're taking uninformed, illogical, or inaccurate positions. If that's embarrassing, then stop doing it.

And I can't jam a plug in backwards because they made one of the prongs bigger than the other. Polarity protection at its most basic level. Brilliant isnt it.

It would be.... if you were actually describing polarity protection.

AC isn't polarized. Welcome to electricity.

Rifter

It would be.... if you were actually describing polarity protection.

AC isn't polarized. Welcome to electricity.

picard_facepalm_star_trek_by_ragexthexfurious-d78xpav.jpg

Last edited:

IMHO you should just move on, take your free repair, and learn from your mistake.

TBH, the only person who really lost something here is TheJoker.
You broke your laser
He fixed it
you should be happy
he should be sad

Normally, it wouldnt work out that way. You got lucky, so be happy

1. Not a free repair. Going to cost me 50$ plus shipping
2. He hasn't fixed it, he hasn't lost anything.

I'm not getting it fixed. I don't feel like dropping 50$ on this, plus it would probably cost me another 50$ just to ship it anyways.

I wouldn't call having a 120$ laser broken lucky. Nor will I be happy about it. My resolve for most things is to be bitter and angry about it. Mostly I'm just starting to accept that the world we live in is stupid beyond repair, and hope that some random space rock comes and cracks our planet in half.

Cheers.

ARG

Well if its such a heartbreakingly difficult thing to put polarity protection into a driver, then clearly someone was an idiot at some point when they first designed diode drivers, or people now arent trying hard enough.

My point wasn't to show that it was difficult to do, it was to show that there often are design limitations around doing it and that it's not as easy as people may think it is.

They are the simplest form of laser out there. DPSS and gas lasers are far more picky. Lasers in general are quite touchy.

As soon as the drivers start getting sold/supplied to others, that is when either a) the devices should be protected by default, or b) the person selling should clearly state that the device lacks reverse polarity protection.

Currently vast majority of drivers are sold without reverse polarity protection and they do not explicitly state that. A better system would be to assume it is not reverse polarity protected unless otherwise stated, which is the current system if I'm not mistaken.

If someone sold me a laser and didn't tell me it lacked reverse polarity protection I would feel that I had been sold a defective product.

That's just silly considering majority of lasers sold here on LPF do not have reverse polarity protection.

That's a pretty driver board but without the reverse protection I would never use it. Where to add a diode or whatever? You can't, you'd have to redesign the thing from the ground up. That is unfortunate, because I know it sucks to get attached to a design only to realize it's fundamentally broken and has to be scrapped.

Fundamentally broken? Both those drivers have been sold in the hundreds. For something that's broken they sure did well :)

Last edited:

I'm not getting it fixed. I don't feel like dropping 50$ on this, plus it would probably cost me another 50$ just to ship it anyways.

I wouldn't call having a 120$ laser broken lucky. Nor will I be happy about it. My resolve for most things is to be bitter and angry about it. Mostly I'm just starting to accept that the world we live in is stupid beyond repair, and hope that some random space rock comes and cracks our planet in half.

Cheers.
You dont need to send the host, you can just send the aluminium module itself, should be alot smaller package and alot cheaper that way,

Cheers.

Lol thats kind of depressing

sorry for the misconception, it looks like you are paying for it...

the thing is, we are sorry for your loss, really. But blaming it on the driver and not yourself is where you went wrong, for most of these people...

I think reverse polarity protection is needed, but only as a backup, TO PROTECT THE DIODE.

The drivers i used, forget which ones, will DIE if you put in the battery backwards, but will protect the diode.

Maybe test your diode first?

IDK, just thinking here...