Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anyone Wet Shave?

GR3EN

Been a while since I've posted anything on here. I have since strayed from the laser hobby (still have my 2 labbies though) due to my girlfriend living with me now and being less than enthusiastic about them. It's understandable when it's something that has been casted in such bad light especially in the recent years. So instead of trading in the girlfriend i traded hobbies.

I recently have gotten into wet shaving and it has become a bit of a thing im life for a couple months now. I prefer double edged/safety razors, but i would be curious to know if any of you guys wet shave as well and if so favorite razors, blades, soaps, brushes etc. Also if you use a straight razor, double edged or single edged. Feel free to post photos or whatever else have you. Hope all here are doing well. I'm still always lurking and lasers always have a place in my heart.

This is my current aftershave, brush and razor i use.
fdf63a.jpg

These are 2 slant head razors.
n3qa37.jpg

Here are 2 vintage gillettes i have in cases.
2nizfwl.jpg

diachi

A friend of mine sells wet shave kits, both straight razors and DE razors. Been meaning to get one to try out - just been using my beard trimmer lately, still cheaper than cartridge razors and way more convenient too. I imagine the shave is superior once you get the technique down!

Last edited:

GR3EN

A friend of mine sells wet shave kits, both straight razors and DE razors. Been meaning to get one to try out - just been using my beard trimmer lately, still cheaper than cartridge razors and way more convenient too. I imagine the shave is superior once you get the technique down!

It's not difficult at all really and does provide an excellent shave. The razor i started with only took me 2 days to figure out the technique. My issue is i recently bought a new razor made of all stainless steel and it is twice as heavy if not more than the razor i started so i'm still adjusting. Still provides a nice shave though just have to be careful around the neck since for most people with myself included the skin on the neck is a lot more sensitive and prone to being nicked and cut. It dors help save money too in the long run. Costs about $70 to get started with bare minimums and blades are cheap. Can typically get a decent 100 count pack of blades for under $15 even under $10 depending on blade preference.

The overall act of the wet shave is just very relaxing in my opinion. From lathering the soap to smelling the scents on your face. Also comes with just an overall feel of accomplishment when finished.

Last edited:
Haven't wet shaved for about 35 years, I prefer an electric razor. I currently use a rotary razor, Remington or Norelco are good brands that work very good, it is a nuisance though to take them apart and clean them every several times you shave. A few years ago I had a Panasonic wet/dry electric razor that worked well but it wasn't a rotary razor. I would never shave with a straight razor, my hands often shake real bad.

Alan

GR3EN

Haven't wet shaved for about 35 years, I prefer an electric razor. I currently use a rotary razor, Remington or Norelco are good brands that work very good, it is a nuisance though to take them apart and clean them every several times you shave. A few years ago I had a Panasonic wet/dry electric razor that worked well but it wasn't a rotary razor. I would never shave with a straight razor, my hands often shake real bad.

Alan

Electric razors never really interested me all that much. Only thing electric I use is a trimmer for when I grow a beard. I would usually use cartridge razor before, but just decided to give a safety razor a try. Cost me about $60 to get started and haven't looked back. 2 passes with a safety razor and I have the smoothest skin I've ever felt.

As for straight razors I'd like to try it at some point, but the start up costs are a but more seeing as you need a hone and strop as well and there's some things you just don't want to skimp on especially when it involves putting a sharp metal object to your face and neck.

I used safety razors when i was younger and disposable later on. I now use a beard trimmer and clean up after with a disposable. This seems like a strange thread for this forum. Oh well, that's my experience.

Probably nothing is too strange for this forum, as long as it's in the Off-Topic > Other area. BTW what brand of toilet paper does everyone use? I use Scott 1000. Oops that is a topic for another thread. Just kidding don't anyone answer that. :crackup:

GR3EN, it looks like you may be interested in collecting vintage razors, I noticed there are people who collect vintage straight razors, there are even 2 forums devoted to that topic in case you don't know about them.
Straight Razor Place Forum
General Straight Razor Talk
Prices for vintage straight razors can be from very cheap up to several hundred dollars.

I am reminded of straight razor scenes from at least 2 or 3 movies, I don't want to derail so I won't post videos unless you want me too.

Alan

I used to get straight razor shaves in barber shops in my 20s. I used to enjoy that. I never tried to do it myself though. Never actually met anyone that did.

I tried wet shaving for a while, and I even had a straight razor, but for some reason no matter what I do, wet shaving irritates my skin and I break out in blotches and spots. So I can only dry shave. I lament the fact I can't get a close shave any more, but such is life.

GR3EN

I tried wet shaving for a while, and I even had a straight razor, but for some reason no matter what I do, wet shaving irritates my skin and I break out in blotches and spots. So I can only dry shave. I lament the fact I can't get a close shave any more, but such is life.

Did you ever try to figure out the reason you'd break out? Possibly something in whatever soap you'd use? Just a thought. Being as the neck on anyone is a sensitive area I occasionally get some irritation after a shave, but as long as I use an aftershave with witch hazel it clears up within a minute or so.

In terms of vintage razors that's what I started out collecting, but then when I started to venture into modern razors my view of safety razors in general changed. I respect the old ones for what they are and the gillette adjustable razors are simply a mechanical masterpiece, but when gillette stopped making safety razors and moved onto what we have now the thought of shaving with a double edged razor blade almost vanished into the sunset as well as innovations to said razors. Now granted the safety razor basically peaked (only so many angles and gaps you can hold and bend a razor blade and still have it perform as intended) I respect what the newcomers to the manufacturing of said razors have brought to the table.

Reactions: GSS

Gabe

Dope. Every 4-7 days I just grab the Gillette and blast away the whispy 'stache and odd beard or cheek hair, it'll probably be the system for the next few years. Thanks to some wicked genetics passed on by my dad I'll never be able to grow anything more than a patchy moustache and beard, goatee at best. At least I won't be spending a fortune on razor cartridges in the future.

GSS

GR3EN, looking at your sure bring back memory's of watching my dad shave with them. I'm sure his are lost by know but you never know as my sis has a knack of saving sentimental things from are childhood. I remember the brushes being so soft and wondering what the best ones are made from. Just the knurling and machining on the holder were so great and over kill like the old cars.
I had gone to a flee market years ago and got about 300 Gillette double blade razors but cannot find a handle that fits them. Iv'e tried at least 8 different ones but not one will fit. It pisses me of that they have to change a handle for ever new blade that comes out.
For me I cannot shave everyday with out getting cut of irritated. At least i'm a blue collar worker and don't have to look "pretty":rolleyes:
What is it that a nice hot straight edge barbor shave that makes it feel so good?

I tried various shaving foams and even tried without. I think it's more that my skin just dislikes having a sharp blade running over it cutting the hairs away so finely. I'm acne scarred from teenage years as well so my skin is like the surface of the moon to a razor.

GSS

I tried various shaving foams and even tried without. I think it's more that my skin just dislikes having a sharp blade running over it cutting the hairs away so finely. I'm acne scarred from teenage years as well so my skin is like the surface of the moon to a razor.
Yeah acne scars really doesn't give you much of a chance I can imagine. Now I think iv'e tried an electric years and years ago but can't tell you what kind but I didn't enjoy it. I did it dry but never gave it a real chance, but that might be the best for you. I don't even know to many men who use them though.
I use soap to soften my face and rinse before adding any lather and shave before showering were some shave after they do. It will probably give you a better shave after showering but I can't stand the feeling or smell of shaving cream so it washes off better after showering.
This is one odd thread:)

I just use either a close hair trimmer or a knockoff phili-shave sort of thing to get in a bit closer. I tend to look better with a bit of stubble anyway. They say girls like a bit of roughness to a man so who knows. Men certainly seem to have their preferences.

GR3EN

GR3EN, looking at your sure bring back memory's of watching my dad shave with them. I'm sure his are lost by know but you never know as my sis has a knack of saving sentimental things from are childhood. I remember the brushes being so soft and wondering what the best ones are made from. Just the knurling and machining on the holder were so great and over kill like the old cars.
I had gone to a flee market years ago and got about 300 Gillette double blade razors but cannot find a handle that fits them. Iv'e tried at least 8 different ones but not one will fit. It pisses me of that they have to change a handle for ever new blade that comes out.
For me I cannot shave everyday with out getting cut of irritated. At least i'm a blue collar worker and don't have to look "pretty":rolleyes:
What is it that a nice hot straight edge barbor shave that makes it feel so good?

That's odd on the gillette handle situation. They never really changed the threads on the heads or handles. Vintage razors are cheap enough whole as it is anyway. Can get a decent vintage gillette for about $20. The biggest thing also come down to blades as well. I'm still burning through blades trying to figure out what works best. There's dozens upon dozens of double edged blades from mild to sharpest of sharp and can change the way a razor shaves on its own.

Reactions: GSS