Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anyone tried fasting before?

Things

I wasn't in such a great state of mind last night, and before I knew it, I had gone well over 16 hours without eating, and still didn't really feel the need to eat. Today I woke up, had some toast, and after that, didn't even feel like having dinner. I had a small amount just to be social with the family, but I was really surprised. A single 16 hour period without eating, and I basically eat nothing now compared to what I used to.

I don't know if this is a good or bad thing though. At this stage I'm loving it, even this morning I woke up and didn't feel like a zombie like I usually do in mornings, and still had plenty of energy during the day. I'm a larger guy, and go for 30 min walks every night, so I feel this might actually help with weight loss substantially if I can keep it up, but then other people say it's actually worse to go long times without food.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

NKO29

Weight loss isn't an aim for me... I need some muscle growth tho :) But when I don't eat dinner i do tend to wake up feeling better than normal.

Last edited:

Things

I'm hoping this might finally be a successful attempt for me. I've always wanted a Siberian husky dog, since as long as I can remember, but have held off because I just didn't have the commitment to take it for all the exercise it'd need to keep it happy, a 30 minute walk each night isn't going to cut it. I also hate how much extra effort it takes to do simple physical tasks, and fear for my health.

Last edited:

NKO29

I can agree on that note... Today i took a 3 hour walk, but it was 7-11 bottomless cup day :( I had 4 refills, that alone probably made the 3 hrs of walking totally useless :p

Things

Yeah, so easy to drink crap and not realize what you're doing, food is a bit more difficult.

Its easy ...after you set your mind to it i lost 33kg in 16 weeks basically fasting with very small amounts of food and vitimins and modest exercise, the hard part is setting your mind to it and it helps if you actually have a doctor that doesn't sugar coat your state of health and reads you the riot act to really do something about it ..or die young ...

Things

Yeah, I'm not really considering it full fasting, as I'm still eating, I'm just eating a hell of a lot less, and usually not as often. I felt great today, so if that is a sign, then I think I can hold the motivation :p

Eat protein, and high fiber low starch vegetables. Skip the carbs and starches.

Your body can't really engage in lipogenesis effectively with dietary proteins and fats, and keeping your insulin levels low also controls hunger pangs in the stomach as well. Lipogenesis, or the laying of extra fat is done by acetyl-CoA which is an intermediate step in the conversion of blood glucose.

When you reduce your caloric intake to less than what your body needs in a day etc. it'll go after your fat stores/lipolysis because your blood glucose levels have dropped, and your liver has run out of it's stored glycogen, and you're now running on ketone bodies as your prime energy molecule instead of sugar. However, without sufficient dietary intake of protein, your body will get that protein for the lipolysis from your lean muscle tissues/catabolysis instead, which you don't want.

If you limit yourself to about 1500 calories or so, depending on your body size overall (i.e. if you're a "big guy" even at your ideal weight, or about 10% body fat etc...), plus your activity level, you should lose about 5-10lbs a week, and feel virtually no hunger pangs while doing it.

NO4H99

Don't forget to drink a lot.

With all-out fasting, you start to feel it at about 30 hours. Within 50ish hours your body realizes whats going on and adjusts to the fast - making you feel a whole lot better. Not sure if it works the same with a near fast though.

I've fasted many times. I think the more I do it the more I have difficulty doing so. My motives are spiritual.

ARG

Longest I've gone was 31 hoursish.

Was hungry after, but only for a slice of bread or some crackers. Just drink lots and you wont even notice.

ped

I dont have the strength of character for anything like this Kudos to people that do.

Not eating won't help you lose weight in a healthy way. Eating better will help you.