Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

ANYONE OWNING A POINTER OR LARGER!!read this!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
...confessed “I pointed it at the plane, yes, thinking it was a … (and his voice trailed off.)”

I wonder what he thought he was flashing? See this:

Tin hatters better move to IR (not that UFO's as alien craft aren't out there, somewhere) and even then don't flash anyone with night vision gear such as the police or military, there is also potential to harm someone regardless, if they are too close.

Another thing which has me concerned as a hobbyist, what if one of my neighbors flashes an airplane with their little 5mw pointer within a block of my place and then no one but the aircraft sees it, but when the police come looking my other neighbor says, yea, that guy, him, over in that house, I've seen him playing around with lasers pointing them into the night sky many times.... busted for someone else's wrong doing and will they believe him, hell yes. Don't do this at home folks, if you are going to point into the sky, do it somewhere away from home where no one knows you and you don't know anyone else and then leave. Also, don't flash UFO's or anything else with a visible light laser. The 10 mile distance from any airport is also something to watch out for, you can get into trouble without even having flashed an aircraft from that alone.

Edit: Regarding the tin hatters; there's something up there, look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FryZrDKwv_o

Last edited:

its always a bad sign when the aircraft lases back at you--

Not sure, but doesn't IR spread very fast and at a long distance is not all that dangerous??

From what I'm finding, most IR laser diodes have a fairly wide aperture and terrible divergence, because of that I'm not really worried about harm being done to any pilots eyesight with them if they are a thousand feet away, but some of the low powered single mode diodes you won't find in a commercially marketed laser pointer can have small diode emitterss below 5um (micro, and not meaning beam width, the emitting side of the chip itself). If you let the beam expand and then collimate it at a much wider beam, the divergence can be incredibly small, much smaller than most of our laser pointers, far less than even the good ones but once expanded they don't have much power per square centimeter, or power density and certainly not a danger to pilots or I imagine, anyone but I wouldn't play around with taking chances or letting anyone get it in the eye. I'd have to do more calculations to know, but even if safe, I wouldn't do it, that would be foolish.

According to some graphs I've found, 1um is a good wavelength to use from the standpoint of atmospheric absorption. There are better wavelength windows than 1000nm, but for what I could find available in single mode laser diodes of that kind, that's the least expensive part of the IR band to build something which can do that at a few hundred mW of power output.

Maybe I will make another thread in order this one isn't taken off topic. I don't want that to happen to this laser safety thread, the info is too important. .

Last edited:
^^ even reading that twice left me scratching my bald head-

TY for doing the homework- even if most of that went WAY over my head--ha ha

as mentioned we ae NOT going to get a sticky on this thread- The reason, if i understand correctly, is the pics and reports of those arrested being posted , which until 'tried' are considered to be innocent- and thus the forum cannot and should not endorse this thread with a sticky-- so PLEASE, everybody, just post here often to keep this thread near the top of the Welcome page and you can link it in your sig as well.

Try to visit that section on a regular basis to greet and link all new incoming members-

if you intend to ask them to add thier location, try to do that in a way that wil bring positive results. be nice!!

hak

Doing foolish and potential harmful things with lasers is bad enough but pointing it at a police helicopter, really?!?!?!?!? :wtf:

check this asshole out! we need to make a thread of all the videos we find of dudes misusing lasers and keep it in the welcome section as a sticky!
https://www.facebook.com/jsmith2513...d=1006957036002973&notif_t=feed_comment_reply
what really pisses me off is he has the dam safety glasses on his head!???????? :wtf:

WTW??

THIS is 'that' thread- post pics vids anything you want BUT we cannot get this stickied due to the nature of posting arrests vids pics etc of a person charged but not convicted- that could be bad for admin-

please do not ask again for this to be sticlkied
you CAN however bump it daily to acheive the same thing

in re to safety glasses-- TBH I am much more concerned with the 'bigger
picture' aircraft crashing and killing folks-

any fool who blinds/injuroes himself got what they deserved
harming other is a diff thing--

If HALF the emphasis was placed on lasing outdoor it woulkd be energy better spent--

on the average 10 to 12 times tonite lasers will be aimed at aircraft

its only a matter of time before a car etc crashes due to flash blinding on the roads.

Laserointersafety .com daily updaqtes ther latest news

click the link in my sig-
copy pics and story etc into this thread IF it is not there already
here- Mr Murphy does all this for us etal for free-

at one time some here saw LPS.COM as our enemy and that is far from the truth

here is an idea all need to consider

contact the science teachers in your area and ask about just what is taught in todays classes about lasers-

IMHO even preschool kids need teaching and every teacher of every subject can help with this.

next time you feel the need to push eyeware also post something in regard to lasers and aircraft vehicles etc

one factoid that may hit home is the $20K rewrd offered by the FBI
for catching and convicting laser crimes- it should NEVER be considered a 'prank' anymore.

btw
fed time is serve every day- no early out for being a good boy in jail.

I see that in some cases the sentance has been overturned and lowered BUT its still good that at least at first it was going to be a long time til you are free-- :undecided:

I am betting what they teach is old stuff

also offer to come to the school and help the teachers do a class opn this topic

atm it looks like most who get caught were at least somewhat un-informed

Only thing I can think about these idiots is they didn't really expect their pointer to be able to blind, but it sure the hell did.

Edit: Close up they can be devastating, at greater distances an annoyance, but either way you can have an all expense paid trip to jail until the bill comes later from lawyer fees and fines.

Last edited:
Only thing I can think about these idiots is they didn't really expect their pointer to be able to blind, but it sure the hell did.

I don't buy that, when I was given one of those <1mW red cat toy things to play with as a kid even then it was very clear (and almost just common sense) not to point it near eyes. How people can not think their "probably not a cat toy" will do no harm is beyond me.

When they catch the person who did this a stiff example must be made, if the crime is not punished then the tool ultimately will be, besides I don't want some rotten bastard blinding innocent people, or throwing battery acid in their face, people pretty much know they would be punished VERY severely for throwing battery acid, they must also know people will be punished severely for maiming with a laser, it's common sense, but it has to be understood by the lowest common denominators of our society.

The biggest difference is the intent, if it was a inadvertent accident that would still be awful, but not nearly as despicable, the intentional acts, even if meant to be less than maiming was still intentional and that is the responsibility of the person who did it.

If a water balloon is tossed into traffic and causes a deadly crash, that is still the responsibility of the balloon thrower, if we are to have freedom we must have responsibility, understanding and empathy for inadvertent mistakes is acceptable, but when the act was intentionally malicious, there must be appropriate repercussions that inspire responsibility in others.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.