Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anyone have the need for, and ability to scope, a 5A buck driver?

rhd

I've been working on an up to 5A buck for a triple MT-G2 flashlight that I'm putting together, and I have a stable / tested working version.

I built it with the hope that it would being clean enough for LDs, but even if its not, I only need it right now for LEDs, so I'll be happy either way (and I'm A-OK with the testing being open). I'd love to have it scoped, and would give someone a driver if they'd take a look at how clean it is / isn't.

I can help you out with a scope reading of the driver's output, but I'd assume you'd rather someone to come around who is more reputable in the driver area.

rhd

Ideally I'd love it to be someone who has scoped another driver on the forum, but I appreciate the offer!

Well I have done a few I would be happy to help you out ;)

Will my Tektronix TDS2012C work for what you want ?

It works on the other drivers I suspect it will work on yours.

I also have a signal gen in case you want a modulation check.

Last edited:
I have an Agilent 2012A if you need me to check out that driver.

I use it regularly (overkill) to scope my LED and laser drivers.

May be more logical to ship it to somewhere in Canada though. :)

I might be willing to try it out on one of the new 445 3.5w 9mm diode. I've been trying to figure out how this diode would be best driven, this may be a good solution.

I would do it for you, rhd. I have an HP 100Mhz dual trace (3 traces if you count the external trigger) delayed sweep and I have decades of experience using these type scopes working in all sorts of circuits. The Canadian thing might be a problem for you, as I understand that shipping for you to me would be more expensive than my shipping it back. I also have several other forms of test equipment that would come in handy to isolate a noise problem or load problem. I have several types of dummy loads to use with the driver, as well. I even have one that could easily take 8-10 amps without overheating, up to 15 watts.

djQUAN

I can also do tests and measure loop frequency response and stability but I'm on the other side of the world.

I've found that there is no substitute for actually taking the wires and brushing them together to create an
intermittent bounce condition.

I've got one of the rigol DS1102E series (100MHz dual channel DSO) that I've used to scope drivers before. I've also got very high current test loads, very high current PSUs, and a thermal camera.

Whoever you choose, you really want someone with a DSO that can single-shot capture the power-on event.