Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anyone else get more and more paranoid with using your laser outside?

Nimoxp

So, I'm still pretty new to the powerful laser hobby, but I do love shooting into the sky. I love watching the beams, aiming at stars.

I try not to go out and point into the stars tell after 1am tell about 5 am cause most people are asleep and I'm in the middle of a neighborhood and try to attract as little attention as possible.

Well, twice I decided to shine earlier, around 10-11 pm at night. Within minutes I hear a helicopter so I stop and, go inside and watch the helicopter fly around once and leave.

As I heard it leaving I went back out to shine again, and again the return of the helicopter, so I stop shining. This time I just sit in a sort of hidden bench under my tree. This exact thing happend twice over two weeks.

I feel as if the helicopter is daring me to shoot up at it. Anyhow I just find my self getting more paranoid the more I use the laser. I'm 31 and not a child trying to cause trouble.

Any how I still love lasers and have more on the way. The best time for me to shoot is after 1am so That's when I tend to do so. Also my family owns a ranch out in the hill country so when I go out there there's no problem.

Anyone else notice helicopters trying to find you. I've gone as far as drive around to different areas and shoot straight though my sunroof so that if it is seen, it is not just in my area. I'm also very aware of flight routes, and stay away from them.

Did you feel like this guy?

Rrrrrrrrrrrrr. Rrrrrrrrrrr. We all see helicopters.

luccax

Better look for a psychiatrist. Not very common at your age but I think you might have schizophrenia.

Just kiding, I'm allways worried about shining at airplanes/helicopters, i know that lasers can confuse the pilot and cause accidents. What I do is almost allways i shine it horizontally, i end up hitting some hill or another building and there's no risk of shooting a plane.

However, to do that you must live in an apartment and you probably don't as you have a tree and a bench on your backyard...

Last edited:

Nimoxp

Did you feel like this guy?

Rrrrrrrrrrrrr. Rrrrrrrrrrr. We all see helicopters.

LOL, it's funny you put up that video, cause that movie did cross my mind during those occurances. :crackup:

IsaacT

Dude, where in TX are you? I'm in round rock. I typically go out to Mansfield Dam to look at stars because the City Lights don't really make it out to there.

And I mostly get paranoid of other people....after I made a DIY 200mw DVD laser my sister shined it at my brother. So I shouted at her to stop it like "WTF do you think you are doing?!". I now realize that even smart people can be very f*ck*** stupid with shiny things.

Last edited:
LOL, it's funny you put up that video, cause that movie did cross my mind during those occurances. :crackup:

:evil:

I was aboUt to say, some smoking crack. Hahahahahahahaha. Actually,the character was doing cocaine and that is why he developed paranoia.

I'll be moving to the mountains. No planes fly overhead. I'll be ok.

I bought a cheap $5 laser from amazon.com and the day it arrived i wanted to check it out in the dark. I live in a cul-de-sac and maybe 1/8th of a mile down the street is a park. Police officers usually sit there for a while when its dark to make sure people don't go to the park. i was shining the laser into the sky and trees just kind of messing around being careful. The officer drove down my cul-de-sac (which almost never happens) and i stopped shining the laser. He got out of his car and asked me if i was the one shining a laser. I could have denied it but i said yes it was me. He told me he was able to see the green beam from the park down the street and that he said it looked really cool. He wanted to see the laser but by the time he got there it was broken (go figure). Then he just told me to be safe and not to shine it at planes, cars, or people in general. He also told me that it is not uncommon for people to call the police when they see the light from a laser in their house.

Anyways; cool officer, crappy laser (i was expecting it to last longer but i guess you get what you pay for).

DrSid

Nice story .. problem is that every officer might not be as nice. Also you sometimes want to see beams of your more powerful lasers. I just don't shine them outside. But I would like to. But there were some aircraft lasing cases recently where I live, and people generally don't understand what we have lasers for in the first place .. so for some, any beam outside is attempted attack on aircrafts.

Last edited:
Good thing you were honest with the officer. Any time you lie, it could spell trouble. Those cheap lasers aren't worth shit.

Good thing you were honest with the officer. Any time you lie, it could spell trouble. Those cheap lasers aren't worth shit.

Tell me about it... After about $15 spent on them I looked around online and found this forum. I hope to get a decent laser sooner than later.

That is exactly the scene I was thinking about reading this post lol.

To OP
Yeah I know what you mean, I get a little paranoid at times.
I would hate to give up this hobby so soon after getting into it.

I'm always paranoid about using my lasers outside! my 1W blue begs me to take it outside but I just hate bringing it outside because I know I could get into trouble but it is so beautiful in the sky. Also the fact that my apartment building is across the street from a busy freeway doesn't help either! I don't want to be shining it outside when some guy on the freeway see's the beam, gets distracted then crashes.... Then whenever I go to parks at night to shoot my beam into the sky I get paranoid that if any cops are around they will see the beam and come to me.

Well, I don't flash mine in the sky. Just the yard. Soon, I can flash mine in the yard without a care in the world. I will have 7 acres to flash it as I please without anyone to worry about.

^Most expensive laser purchase ever : Land for the laseing. lol :)

and i get FREAKED out. i live near chicago and right on final for Dupage airport.
long story short its either in the trees right next to my apartment or not outside at all.

It's so nice to live out in the country side where there are only 2 people per sq mile, I can go out side anytime I want
and shine all my lasers into the sky and make a rainbow at night :eg:

Last edited:
Flaminpyro: Awesome display. I assume those are set onto a mount or tripod?

Funny thing is all of mine are 445 nm. I got a little happy with the buying spree.