Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anyone else get more and more paranoid with using your laser outside?

So, I'm still pretty new to the powerful laser hobby, but I do love shooting into the sky. I love watching the beams, aiming at stars.

I try not to go out and point into the stars tell after 1am tell about 5 am cause most people are asleep and I'm in the middle of a neighborhood and try to attract as little attention as possible.

Well, twice I decided to shine earlier, around 10-11 pm at night. Within minutes I hear a helicopter so I stop and, go inside and watch the helicopter fly around once and leave.

As I heard it leaving I went back out to shine again, and again the return of the helicopter, so I stop shining. This time I just sit in a sort of hidden bench under my tree. This exact thing happend twice over two weeks.

I feel as if the helicopter is daring me to shoot up at it. Anyhow I just find my self getting more paranoid the more I use the laser. I'm 31 and not a child trying to cause trouble.

Any how I still love lasers and have more on the way. The best time for me to shoot is after 1am so That's when I tend to do so. Also my family owns a ranch out in the hill country so when I go out there there's no problem.

Anyone else notice helicopters trying to find you. I've gone as far as drive around to different areas and shoot straight though my sunroof so that if it is seen, it is not just in my area. I'm also very aware of flight routes, and stay away from them.

Your paranoia is misplaced. I doubt the helicoptor was looking for you and even if they were because some well meaning citizen reported seeing a laser you broke no laws, not even local laws because the airspace above your head is under the control of the federal government not local government. However, many municipalities have laws which make shining a laser at anyone an offense. But you didn't do that either. So, again you broke no laws. Now relax and stop being paranoid. :)

Last edited:

This is what happens when you shoot at aircraft with lasers. This is what the helicopter wanted you to do. With the NDAA the government can kill whatever citizens they want.

Last edited:

IsaacT

Only include what comes after the / sign.

So yours would be:

[ yt ]3YVpPqDGMyU[ /yt ]

and then

[ yt ]lDbgDRNmhYs&feature=related[ /yt ]

Just remove the spaces between the brackets.

Last edited:
i had the same experience. i live on a mountain next to a canyon and for about 2 weeks i had a copter flying super low next to my house, almost in the canyon. Might have been paranoid but better safe than sorry. Living near LAX on my boat i never bring out my lasers, unless i am taking them up to the mountains.

I get a little paranoid, but I always make sure I'm not breaking any laws. I mostly use my low power green for star watching with my boys, and then occasionally I'll bring out a big daddy to shoot some low clouds.

I don't worry to much about cops seeing me, more than I worry about anyone in the area anyway. I am always VERY paranoid about safe usage. If I have a high powered laser out I shut it down quick if I become aware anybody coming near the area/beam (cop or not) for safety reasons. I can just imagine shining a 1+ 445nm in the sky, someone wander into the area, then some freak accident like a bat flying into the beam flashing the intruders and landing me with a lawsuit... I wonder if the matte finish of the bat would disperse the beam enough to prevent injury to someone looking directly at the beam without protection... lets hope I never find out :)

Last edited: