Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anyone bought from Lazerer.com?

I also would suggest sci-fi, etan was a pleasure to deal with, great price and product. Like already stated by others, contact him to reserve or sign up on the site for email notification and he will send u a message the day his stock is arriving.

Yeah I definitely won't be able to afford both a 50$ laser and 50$ just for glasses.

My glasses were only 5$ a piece and are just red tinted safety glasses. I tested them by shining my green laser at them and holding a piece of white paper behind them to see if any light got through and they blocked all the light.

FYI 532nm lasers are DPSS modules so its a combination of IR and 532nm. Cool your glasses visibly block all the green light but they stop ZERO IR! If you value your eyes, get a pair of eagle pair glasses from survival laser and get the IR blocking ones so you can enjoy green lasers or at least the 405-532nm ones

Yeah I know about the IR, but I figured that my laser only being 50 mW and probably way under spec being a 30$ ebay laser that the mW amount for IR would be pretty low.

But I do agree and if/when I get a new green laser of higher power and quality I'll definitely invest in some better safety glasses.

haha your logic is 100% backwards my friend. Cheap lasers are mostly ALL IR with a hint of 532nm. They do not have IR filters so the majority of the power is coming from the IR. Unfortunately, cheap = low quality = no filtering = high IR leakage = your eyes are screwed

I would say my logic is actually straightforward, I just made wrong assumptions.

But now I know cheap DPSS lasers put out more IR than green so I'll plan accordingly. Ill just buy a good pair of anti-green and anti-IR glasses and take the lenses from the IR glasses and put them over the green lenses. :p

I have a 532nm that reads 121mw on my LPM. with the green blocked it reads 80mw.
I have some pens that put out more IR than 532nm. Your idea of two sets of lenses is interesting, as long as it's cheaper than a dual wavelength pair.

Or just get a laser thats not DPSS and dont worry about IR ever :thinking:

If you want a DPSS laser then get a quality on thats IR filtered and again, never worry about IR. Cheap lasers = junk (for the most part). Occassionally you will get a good cheap laser but if you search this forum, most people's cheap laser break within a few months, sometimes minutes of using. Spend the extra cash up front and save HUGE down the long run. Lasers are not cheap and if you think this is a cheap easy hobby then you are under the wrong assumption.

My MagLite laser cost over $320 to build.......and it was built by me (custom machine work by jayrob since i dont have a way of machining the needed parts) If you buy it off a member pre built then add in their profit.....lasers=EXPENSIVE

So you can get 532 nm that isn't DPSS? I imagining thats expensive as hell.

I really need to get a job so my laser hobby can flourish....

So you can get 532 nm that isn't DPSS? I imagining thats expensive as hell.

I believe they make a 532nm diode but yes they are a few grand. What I meant was get a quality DPSS laser that is IR filtered. If its IR filtered then there should be no IR leakage, thus no need for IR glasses

Ummmm I just took apart my 50 mW green with a broken lens and its just a diode :O

You can get 520nm
Save up and build your own.
Learn how to solder and then start on with this hobby, you will be much more fulfilled that way. I went through so many cheap units that I am embarrassed to say here. You can find kits for learning to solder and at the minimum you can get a (Grounded) iron from RadioShack for like 25 bucks. My first build is a 450nm 130mw that cost me $200 including equipment to build. see my sig. Start out right don't waste time on crap.

Last edited:
On the plus side the actual lens is intact so I can just carefully glue it back into the lens frame and have a working 50 mW green again :3

Ok well I never explained a DPSS module in full since you are new and didnt want to overwhelm you with knowledge that might be over your head but since you took yours apart......

Green-laser-pointer-dpss-diagrams.jpg

In simple terms a DPSS laser is an IR diode pumped through various lens and filters to change the IR wavelength into a different wavelength; in this case 532nm. So yes if you take it apart then there will ALWAYS be a diode, however its an 808nm diode. An actually 532nm diode is a few grand!

ALL DPSS modules follow the above configuration to some point, however cheap DPSS modules skip the IR filter since those are expensive (in comparison to the rest of the module and parts)

Last edited:
FYI. I stripped a 532 unit to see what the 808 was putting out and it was 250mw.

Tmack

Hw much was the 532 putting out to begin with before you stripped it antharak ??