Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Any laser pointer working on large LED displays?

rocnex

Hi there,

I hope I could find an answer to this. The company upgraded conference rooms, including putting up some nice-looking large LED displays (hooked to computer) to replace the old projector/screen configuration. The problem is, nothing we have now works as a pointer when one gives a powerpoint presentation. We only have regular red or green laser pointers now. Does anyone know any laser pointer (or similar device) will work on these displyays?

Thanks a lot!

Reactions: Ash

anselm

Hello and welcome to the forum!:wave:

Why don't you just use a wireless presentation mouse/trackball and use the cursor as a pointer?:thinking:

Cats will still see the laser dot. Simply mount the LED display on the floor so that the cat will mark where you are pointing. This way, everybody knows what you are talking about in your presentation. If your office needs a few more cats for spares, I believe they actually give them away for free in some places. Dogs are bad for LED displays, do NOT try this with a dog.

Good luck! Welcome to LPF!
:beer:

rhd

Projection screens are meant to bounce light back at you. As a result, pointers show up on them well.

LCD and LED screens are meant to *transmit forward* light from *behind* them. As a result, the theory of how they work, is working against you. If the screen is meant to transmit light from back-to-front, it can also (presumably) do a decent job of transmit light from from-to-back, making it hard to see your pointer because the pointer light just gets dispersed around the LED optics, etc.

In general, you will have the most success with GREEN lasers (the most visible). You might want to try a slightly higher power. Your success will probably depend mostly on what kind of surface is in front of the LEDs. If there's a mat finish clear surface, then you might have some luck. If it's a glossy finish, you might actually run into some danger.

rhd

This:
Silver chrome green laser 150mW/good finish [OLSGL150] - $92.00 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

Is likely your best bet - it should be up to "spec", and I think 150mW is about as powerful as you should be using as a pointer. To be honest, this is probably a bit MORE powerful than you should be using as pointer. So don't use it in small rooms, and don't point it anywhere NEAR any living person. Screen only, and not if the screen is glossy (beam will reflect).

The only reason I'm comfortable recommending a 150mW laser for use as a pointer is that - A) this is for business purposes, so I'm hoping you're a responsible adult, and B) true LED screens are big, so I'm picturing this being used in a big conference room, not a small meeting room. But to be clear, you shouldn't be pointing this around casually, or using it in small rooms, and staring at the dot.

Right now thier photo isn't loading, but it looks like this one:
Silver chrome green laser 100mW/good finish [OLSGL100] - $62.99 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

(*Forum: O-Like is IR filtered, right?)

Last edited:
Mouse our Pointing Stick is what i'd say just too easy to hit someone in the eyes at a board meeting lol

Is this an LED display similar to a Plasma/LCD screen (with LED backlighting), or an OLED flat panel display?

Or are we talking LED display as in a stadium scoreboard television actually made of an array of 5mm LED's

On the stadium screen style (that's a BIG conference room!) it won't work very well because the bumpy surface of the LED's in the grid, and the little gaps between them will "eat" the dot below the surface of where the light is coming out.

If it's the former, just some sort of flatscreen TV you're talking about, a green would show up best against the lit surface, but you'll have issues with reflections. Although if the presenter pointing at the screen is pointing UP to the screen then the bounce should go harmlessly to the ceiling. (Angle of incidence equals angle of reflection.)

Cats will still see the laser dot. Simply mount the LED display on the floor so that the cat will mark where you are pointing. This way, everybody knows what you are talking about in your presentation. If your office needs a few more cats for spares, I believe they actually give them away for free in some places. Dogs are bad for LED displays, do NOT try this with a dog.

Good luck! Welcome to LPF!
:beer:

WHAT ????

Jerry

DrSid

Problem is you don't want to use anything over 5mW for pointing, especially not on shiny surfaces.

Thats right if your using over 5mW and bounce back happens and you hit someone in the eye there could be trouble...

rhd

Although if the presenter pointing at the screen is pointing UP to the screen then the bounce should go harmlessly to the ceiling. (Angle of incidence equals angle of reflection.)

Exactly why I felt ok recommending it here. I was very careful to explain that my recommendation was only made because I was picturing this in a conference room, not a meeting room.

rocnex

Thanks a lot for all your warm welcomes and informative suggestions!

I am not exactly sure what kind of display we have. They are not the type that has many small screens. They are about 60 inch each, two side-by-side, bearing a brand name like Tangna. And the room is not huge. So a powerful pointer might be a concern since sometimes there are many people in the meeting and the beam may be pointed at somebody accidentally.

AS for wireless mouse, not sure if you could move the cursor as freely as a pointer.

We can't really help you a lot with this little information. Take a picture, or find a picture online of an identical one.

Sounds like you're best off either with BShan's idea, or with a long stick.

I am new here as well, brought by my search for similar information.

Although, I am wondering what would be the best bet for pointing on a stadium-stlye LED board in a large auditorium. There is no transparent screen in front of the LEDs.

Are there wide-diameter laser pointers? Is mW power related to intensity or just beam width?

DrSid

Most high power pointers are focusable, so you can change width of the beam cone at will. Yes, this changes power density. Yes, it makes the laser safer. But how much safer, can't be easily said. Operating anything over 5mW anywhere amongst people would be dangerous, and illegal in most countries, focused or not.

Last edited: