Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Another Bad Customer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi You Guys ,

So I now got a customer that bought a laser on the 20th +- last month. Laser was shipped but due to holidays here, the pack is being delayed.

Code is showing up on the post office website , but it is stack for a few days. Again becuase of our holiday here called Sukkot.

I explained that to him ... several times.

Now he says I am a liar and that he will tell it here on the forums. So I told him he can do that. As I can not change or rush the situation. Wish I could.

Just felt like I sharing it with you all. I am tired of getting those threats all the time. I am working hard on these builds. Never stole a dine from someone ... and this is what I get back in exchange from people.
:yabbem:

My father was a jeweler. He had an office in the Swissair building on 5th Avenue in Manhattan...not far from Tiffanies. He used to joke that they were his competition. I used to help him as a kid and also when I was older with various things such as his computers.

I watched and listened to him deal with clients, usually women, and when he was on the phone. I often thought to myself that there is absolutely no way I could ever sell anything let alone work women (the less said the better:eg:) all day.

The nit picking, complaining, would definitely drive me nuts. When I discussed this or my reaction to some of his more aggravating customers he would always reply, "the customer is always right." Of course this is not true. However, he maintained this attitude as a way of dealing with what to me seemed like insane requests or complaints. It is just part of the deal, what one has to deal with in sales or dealing with the public.

It is ironic that I told my father there is no way I would follow him in his jewelry business and went into medicine. You not only have to deal with the public but are to a certain degree responsible for a patient's health. Illness, and pain in particular can turn an other wise normal individual into an angry, frustrated individual who will turn on you! Again, it is just part of the deal, what one has to deal with to be in the profession.

Everyone has heard the expression, "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen." One thing that is helpful is not to personalize (yes its is not easy) complaints that are not well founded. One has to be secure in one's own confidence that he is doing whatever job he is doing well. Sometimes that is all one can do.

My father was a jeweler. He had an office in the Swissair building on 5th Avenue in Manhattan...not far from Tiffanies. He used to joke that they were his competition. I used to help him as a kid and also when I was older with various things such as his computers.

I watched and listened to him deal with clients, usually women, and when he was on the phone. I often thought to myself that there is absolutely no way I could ever sell anything let alone work women (the less said the better:eg:) all day.

The nit picking, complaining, would definitely drive me nuts. When I discussed this or my reaction to some of his more aggravating customers he would always reply, "the customer is always right." Of course this is not true. However, he maintained this attitude as a way of dealing with what to me seemed like insane requests or complaints. It is just part of the deal, what one has to deal with in sales or dealing with the public.

It is ironic that I told my father there is no way I would follow him in his jewelry business and went into medicine. You not only have to deal with the public but are to a certain degree responsible for a patient's health. Illness, and pain in particular can turn an other wise normal individual into an angry, frustrated individual who will turn on you! Again, it is just part of the deal, what one has to deal with to be in the profession.

Everyone has heard the expression, "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen." One thing that is helpful is not to personalize (yes its is not easy) complaints that are not well founded. One has to be secure in one's own confidence that he is doing whatever job he is doing well. Sometimes that is all one can do.

I once worked in a factory that made metal parts, I was a machine operator, power press, embossing presses, shear, and some other machines. It was the most boring job I ever had, there were few problems though, no customers to deal with, only 3 bosses who didn't always communicate well with each other, one was a Puerto Rican, one was Jamaican, and one was from some country in central or South America. If you haven't already guessed, this is when I lived in NYC for 3 years. I worked there for 13 months and would probably have been there a few years except one day they lost a contract fom GE that was more than 10% of their business. In later years working in fast food and in retail was much like what I would imagine HELL to be like, those who say that most people are good people are full of SHIT! At least 25 - 30% of the population around us are pure EVIL! I think it is very unfortunate that most young people get a job in fast food or retail for their first job, I think it is a bad influence on them and will have a negative effect on them for the rest of their lives.

Alan

Agreed. However it is also equally important to recognize when you do a subpar job, or blatantly screw up, and to take responsibility for it.

We all make mistakes, that's an unfortunate part of life, how they are dealt with is a far better indicator of people's character, I think, than whether the mistakes are made to begin with or not.

Agreed. However it is also equally important to recognize when you do a subpar job, or blatantly screw up, and to take responsibility for it.

We all make mistakes, that's an unfortunate part of life, how they are dealt with is a far better indicator of people's character, I think, than whether the mistakes are made to begin with or not.

Agreed :)

GSS

Pi your right, the thing is like 10% of people have worked in Mcdonalds at some point in their life. What is worse thana teen who has been promoted to assistant french fry manager wow what power!? unless its for a teen who is going down the wrong path in life, it could be God send. Ive seen an worked at a few manufactering plants while learning my trade and have seen some seedy workers who do anything to get praise attention or a promotion taking credit for something they had no hand in. Some get by with it but others dont realize people arnt that stupid and can see right through them and only see them as seedy(not to this persons seedys attention). Ive seen 2 different kinds of journey men in their trades. The kind that want to teach the apprentice with their knowledge and the others who keep them down who knows why? mabey with fear of being surpassed or always wanting to be better. The 2nd senario a little less but enough to see evil like you said. As you can see this hit a nerve with me and I agree:beer

I once worked in a factory that made metal parts, I was a machine operator, power press, embossing presses, shear, and some other machines. It was the most boring job I ever had, there were few problems though, no customers to deal with, only 3 bosses who didn't always communicate well with each other, one was a Puerto Rican, one was Jamaican, and one was from some country in central or South America. If you haven't already guessed, this is when I lived in NYC for 3 years. I worked there for 13 months and would probably have been there a few years except one day they lost a contract fom GE that was more than 10% of their business. In later years working in fast food and in retail was much like what I would imagine HELL to be like, those who say that most people are good people are full of SHIT! At least 25 - 30% of the population around us are pure EVIL! I think it is very unfortunate that most young people get a job in fast food or retail for their first job, I think it is a bad influence on them and will have a negative effect on them for the rest of their lives.

Alan

My first summer job in NYC was at an art store, Arthur Brown & Brothers to be exact. It was my introduction to the insanity of the American workplace. my job was to learn about paper products and sell them which I did very well surely making plenty of money for the owner. What I did not understand was why when there were no customers I was told to dust even though I had already dusted the same area 50 times that day. I was told that it was about "being or looking busy." It did not matter that I had just sold $400 worth of paper. Nope, get your butt over there and dust!:crackup:

Davidx

Well put. + Rep

My first summer job in NYC was at an art store, Arthur Brown & Brothers to be exact. It was my introduction to the insanity of the American workplace. my job was to learn about paper products and sell them which I did very well surely making plenty of money for the owner. What I did not understand was why when there were no customers I was told to dust even though I had already dusted the same area 50 times that day. I was told that it was about "being or looking busy." It did not matter that I had just sold $400 worth of paper. Nope, get your butt over there and dust!:crackup:

This is purely down to psychology.

When you're paying someone to work, whether by the hour, or salaried, you want to see them actually working. - That's the perspective of any employer, and it will never, ever, change.

So yes... Look busy. Or run your own business. Or make sure you monitors don't face anyone, or have an office where you can close the door, have a laser based alarm setup when someone is coming close, and tape a nap :shhh:

GSS

This is purely down to psychology.

When you're paying someone to work, whether by the hour, or salaried, you want to see them actually working. - That's the perspective of any employer, and it will never, ever, change.

So yes... Look busy. Or run your own business. Or make sure you monitors don't face anyone, or have an office where you can close the door, have a laser based alarm setup when someone is coming close, and tape a nap :shhh:
Also keeping busy passes the time quicker. Slackers just dont get it, it takes alot more work to be a slacker than to actually work

A whole lot of really good work ethics being passed along.
A teacher told us that if you run out of work and the boss is not around to give you your next task. Grab a broom and clean, you will never get in trouble for cleaning if your work is all done. The boss might come over and say no don't do that, I have this for you to do now but you will not get in trouble for just standing around and being a slacker.

Last edited:
As a very professional slacker, going to disagree with you. Do your job. Do it well. Once it's done, relax. If your boss needs you to do another job... great! But you should also be compensated for it as well.

What makes me a professional slacker is ability to utilize my downtime to still keep busy with productive things, or at least ones that keep me well entertained (like lpf for example :p).

BnSK6VFCAAA7U-M.jpg

What?!? That is what determined break times are for. When you are on the clock you are expected to work. Your paycheck and benefits are your compensation for your time, experience/knowledge and effort/work.

Say you have a plumber or electrician at your house and you are paying them $55 an hour. They complete the job in 4 hours. Would you be happy to see them leaning against the wall sending texts to friends and watching videos for 4 hours to pad the bill time to you for a full 8 hour day?
They did it well, they are done, now they are relaxing and are going to rip you off for $220 per what you feel is perfectly acceptable.

As a very professional slacker, going to disagree with you. Do your job. Do it well. Once it's done, relax. If your boss needs you to do another job... great! But you should also be compensated for it as well.

What makes me a professional slacker is ability to utilize my downtime to still keep busy with productive things, or at least ones that keep me well entertained (like lpf for example :p).

What?!? That is what determined break times are for. When you are on the clock you are expected to work. Your paycheck and benefits are your compensation for your time, experience/knowledge and effort/work.

Say you have a plumber or electrician at your house and you are paying them $55 an hour. They complete the job in 4 hours. Would you be happy to see them leaning against the wall sending texts to friends and watching videos for 4 hours to pad the bill time to you for a full 8 hour day?
They did it well, they are done, now they are relaxing and are going to rip you off for $220 per what you feel is perfectly acceptable.

It sounds like IE may have some kind of government job, or a union job, government at the municipal, state, and federal level rip us all off on a very large scale everyday. The several people I have known in my lifetime that worked in government jobs all told me most people didn't have to work much, I suppose the military is the big exception to this, I know they have to work hard. Everyone I have known in a union job has mostly told me the same with a couple of exceptions but they were really high paid. The factory job I mentioned above is the only time I was ever a member of a union, it was required to work there. The union did little for us except to take our money and to also cost the company money, it was legal organized crime. I got into some trouble for working too fast, and was told more than once I better stop. This is why so much manufacturing has been discontinued here in the U.S.

Alan

Of course that is not acceptable. In fact it's an outright scam as far as I'm concerned. In this example, were I the plumber, I would charge a fixed amount for the project in question, or charge by the hour, and stop charging when the job was done.

To expand this a bit further... what if there are different types of plumbers, with different abilities. Or with access to tools that are not available to all? What if the plumber gave you a fair market price for the job, then got it done in a quarter of the time you think it should take, and that it takes most people to do? Are you honestly saying you're unhappy that the job got done well, and quickly? Of course not.

You keep thinking in terms of hourly pay, and that's fine. That is not always the case though.

Me, I think people should have quotas to meet, and so long as they meet them, they should be free to do as they wish, with whatever time remains left to them. If people can do more, they should be compensated for more.

It sounds like IE may have some kind of government job, or a union job, government at the municipal, state, and federal level rip us all off on a very large scale everyday. The several people I have known in my lifetime that worked in government jobs all told me most people didn't have to work much, I suppose the military is the big exception to this, I know they have to work hard. Everyone I have known in a union job has mostly told me the same with a couple of exceptions but they were really high paid. The factory job I mentioned above is the only time I was ever a member of a union, it was required to work there. The union did little for us except to take our money and to also cost the company money, it was legal organized crime. I got into some trouble for working too fast, and was told more than once I better stop. This is why so much manufacturing has been discontinued here in the U.S.

Alan

:crackup:

I wish I had a nice cushy government/union job. Preferably one that would allow me to work remotely, and work on other personal projects.

I do unfortunately work with government agents on a regular basis and observe exactly the same problem as you have. Many do the absolute minimum amount of work required, and do it badly. Truth is, if it wasn't for the awful way the government worked, I wouldn't have a job at all right now. Literally all my time is spent working around an inane level of bureaucracy.

Where work is concerned, people should have reasonable expectations that they must meet. Quotas, goals, whatever you want to call them. If they are able to go above the typical goals, those people should be rewarded. Someone who can do double the amount of work should be paid double.

As for busywork... cleaning... it doesn't add to productivity at all. In fact many companies are now finding that giving people the option of having a flexible schedule, working just 3 or 4 days a week, or shorter days, actually increases productivity. Why? Because even for the rare few for whom work and passion intersect, it's still work... a necessity, not a desire. Give people the option to leave early, so long as the project is complete, and you can bet they will work their butts off to get it done, and head onto other things.

Last edited:
There are different ways such as salary, by the job & hourly and they are approached differently.
I have done many time, motion, wage studies in the past and that sets standards for tasks/jobs. If the worker(s) go above that they are compensated with bonuses to their pay.
Different abilities is very simple to deal with(or it should be anyways)
More abilities = more pay.
A nasty prickly pear is if you need to attract new workers to add to your work force so you start them out at a bit higher rate than usual.
Oh man does that piss off your workers doing the same job that have been there awhile. Yet higher up management will not give money to you to give to those workers.
Have we hijacked this thread or what?!? :D

A nasty prickly pear is if you need to attract new workers to add to your work force so you start them out at a bit higher rate than usual.
Oh man does that piss off your workers doing the same job that have been there awhile. Yet higher up management will not give money to you to give to those workers.
Have we hijacked this thread or what?!? :D

I've seen that backfire too, with the new guys not getting the support they should get. In larger companies I've also observed absolutely crazy practices by management where employee retention was concerned. Like letting go of key people only to find that that the new guy they brought on, can't handle it, and they end up hiring another 2-3 MORE people to handle things. Would have been much cheaper to keep the original personnel, and give them a raise, of more flexibility.

A thread is never properly hijacked until we start posting gifs. :eg:

How I picture some of my most beloved customers, and most hated government agents;

WaX8Xax.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.