Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

AMD and Intel

What make of processor is currently in your MAIN rig?

• I have an AMD processor

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • I have an Intel processor

Votes: 45 66.2%
  • Whats a processor?

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

KiLLrB

Just a curiosity thread wondering what ppl on the forums are running processor wise. This isnt an attempt to start a debate on which is better only to see what LPF users are using.

I myself use AMD.

Last edited:

Intel in side
I dont see many AMD chips anymore. Intel pretty much pushed them out of the market. For a while in the early 2000's or maybe the late 90's AMD was a head of Intel, at least technology wise.
Intel is a brilliant company, but they need some competition.

KiLLrB

Intel in side
I dont see many AMD chips anymore. Intel pretty much pushed them out of the market. For a while in the early 2000's or maybe the late 90's AMD was a head of Intel, at least technology wise.
Intel is a brilliant company, but they need some competition.

Intel is a great company and makes a great chip but like you say they need some competition. If they had the competition maybe thier prices would drop to AMD's prices which IMO are much better and the reason I go with AMD. AMD is a much better value thier cost/performance is way better.

P.S. Im not saying AMD is better it is very obvious Intel has processors nailed at the moment.

Last edited:
AMD's still very much alive.. While Intel does have a fairly commanding performance lead presently, AMD processors remain an extremely good value and they're damned fast. AMDs server chips are regularly found powering the worlds top supercomputers because of their value. It's a good, cost-effective way to create clusters using thousands of extremely fast and reliable processors. The top three supercomputers in the top500 list as of Nov '09 are running Opterons.

Also, AMD acquired ATI which is presently making some of the most powerful massively parallel GPUs around..

Last edited:
Can you vote for more than 1 in your poll....
I have a few computers that I use each day..
and they don't all use the same CPUs...

Jerry

KiLLrB

Can you vote for more than 1 in your poll....
I have a few computers that I use each day..
and they don't all use the same CPUs...

Jerry

Well the poll was for what you use in what you would consider your main rig. I have 5 computers here. My gaming rig(used in my poll response) and the comp I let my kids use are both AMD all the way but all the laptops(3) are Intel.

I also have computers using both. My two main computers have AMD in one and Intel in the other. All of my laptops are Intel.

Same here my 2 main computers are Intel and AMD...
but the Laptops are all Intel.

Looks like we went to the same supplier...:D

Jerry

I use AMD for the cost and performance, used them ever since the K6 socket 7 processors appeared on the scene

I have both...

Some applications scream on AMD and others like video editing and standards conversions (PAL to NTSC) work much better on a nice Intel platform.

right now, I am sitting at my Intel machine.

Im for AMD. Great prices on great chips. Ive always built my computers with AMD, and I recommend them to my friends.

zaery

Well, for the most part they're pretty much the same, but Intel has AMD seriously beat on the low-power market(i.e. laptops)

Grix

I have used Intel in all my computers, however I hear that AMD processors are cheaper per performance..

Last edited:
I'm dubious of AMD's future now that they've gone fabless. I suppose they know what they're doing, and it certainly cuts costs, but in an industry so obsessed with performance, I find it hard to believe the AMD will be able to keep up with Intel in the technology department when so much of their technology will no longer be in-house.

I'm sure their designs will still be fine, but there's so much technology that goes into these chips, that is now going to be outsourced with much less control of their own production lines. I know most of the Si industry is fabless, but most of the industry isn't trying to keep up with Intel and their in-house technology.

Calculated risk, I guess.

Oh, and my laptop has an Intel chip.

Last edited: